• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Do we use more in the UK?

base615

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm from the UK and new to this board.
I've been reading away and it seems that a lot of the people on here from the states do one pill in a night then leave it for ages.
In the UK the majority of people on the scene do a lot more pills to the point where 8 pills or more in a night is not uncommon and people do pills almost every week. I personally try and keep to 2 or 3 a night and with good gaps but maybe we're overdoing it a bit compared to the states!
That said I've just spent the weekend with some guys from New York who did around 12 each in 3 days so have I got the wrong impression?

im in oz, and yeah i get the impression that friends in the UK take a shite load more pills more commonly.
Maybe you guys being the clubbing nation has something to do with it? ;)

According to a friend who was in the UK last year and started taking E there - our pills in australia are a lot stronger than the ones in the UK, tho' you guys get them cheaper, but then you need to take more...So chances are that American pills are of similar strength to Australian ones.
Also depends how much you take them, I know people who can take 8 before feeling a thing but then they spend the entire weekend on drugs. Why bother if it gets to that stage I say.
I take a half and that will get me royally fucked depending on the pill...another half and it keeps me going.
Also there are fewer venues and events where one would take such drugs, so that could account for it a little aswell...

Here in South Africa, the average amount of pills taken in one night varies from 2 to 8. For me, on New Years, we got hold of some excellent MDMA capsules, and i got trashed on about 7. (yes i over did it terribly, but it was about 2 months since I had taken, and it was new years. It was also over a period of about 20 hours.
Friends of ours were over here from the UK and they said that the pills in the UK were not as strong as here. (SA)
I have known some idiots though here in SA who take about 16 in one night, but they look terrible and cant even stand up.
I say, more than 4 pills or capsules and you are wasting your money, because there is only a certain amount of Seratonin in your brain for the pills to work on anyways......

The way I see it is yes we do a lot more here in the uk, than probably any other country in the world, it is estimated we take around 500,000 a week though this figure has been thought to be somewhere near the 1,000,000, I did once read somewhere that all the pills taken in the uk in the year if they were saved up would be enough for everyone in the country to take one on new years eve.
As for the remarks made as to we have weaker pills in quality I disagree very strongly, in the uk, there are very few bunk pills or pills containing dangerous substances such as pma or dxm, the majority of pills you buy will be mdma/mda/mdea, because of the uk being so close in proximity to the netherlands it is fairly easy for pills to be imported, with the netherlands being one of the largest producers of mdma in the world and having a good market there this provides good quality pills to the uk at a cheaper price.
As with anything there is market trends, lasting
a period of months or even years, recently I worked out a five year cycle for pill quality which would have seen it go down hill in the last year, this will probably see a resurgence in pills becoming stronger and contaning more mdma, also pills containing mdma+methamphetamine are currently appearing in larger numbers.
The people in the uk have different attitudes probably because a lot of pill takers dont have access to the internet or the information which they need in order to regulate their usage, if you look at the amount of people on this board from the uk it is miniscule compared to that of the us and australia, yes the uk is smaller but I think if we take population as a percentage to the amount of member we will see its small.
Ecstasy has been widely used a a recreational drug in the uk since probably 1988, since this time is has been mainstream, I would think that only in the last few years in the us has it become mainstream, not much information was known back then about harm reduction/moderation so people have been taking large amounts of pills since then, perhaps if more information had been known then, people might not have taken as many, although we can still say now that the necessary information on long term damage is still relatively unknown.
With the prices being so cheap people are going to take more strength is irrelevent, when talking to a lot of americans i have realised that if they could get pills cheaper it is likely they would actually take more, people in the us who only take say 2 pills are month can maybe only afford to take 2 pills a month and to get the best from these 2 pills its best to space them out and pre and post load with 5thp and other supplements, whereas in the uk people can afford to do 5-10 everyweek.
If people have been taking pills longer then it is thought they will need to take more to get effects, so if the uk has been taking pills longer than other nations this will correlate with the amount people do. Different attitudes to life exist in the uk, the way i see it there isnt many oppurtunities in the uk, people do regualr 9-5 jobs monday to friday and therefore there whole life revolves around the weekend, things such as the weather and just the general way people are about life isnt very good, if people are offered a few hours of happiness of bliss away from this every weekend then they will take it.
Overall I think there are many reasons different attitudes exist, but i seriously doubt the claim we take more becasue they are weaker.
Nearly everyones attitudes are different in the uk, kids work out how many pills their paper round will buy them, even adults probably include drugs in their weekly budget, people take pills to do all sorts of things, ecstasy to a lot of people in the uk has moved away from whta it probably represents in other countries, why? because its been done, yes there are fresh faced kids every week going to a club and swallowing half a magic tablet that they have bought from a friend and having a life changing experiance but on the whole the pill generation of the early 90's have grown up, to the extent where they take more pills to get a different kind of buzz, all the people saying that after 4 they dont work are wrong they do, just in a different way.
Ecstasy is on the streets, in the schools, in the staff toilets....it might as well be in the shops, i doubt anyone in the uk would have too much trouble finding ecstasy, when i was younger i was told of strange men offering me strange looking tablets that resembled sweets, ive never seen this or known of anyone who has had this, by the time most kids reach 13 because of someone older brother they have smoked weed, then in the next few years they will learn there are other drugs, people sometimes say weed is the gateway drug, i dont believe this, how many people would have smoked weed without having smoked a legal cigarette first? so in england where smoking is very common and people can buy cigs very easily can all contribute to drug use.
Drugs in this country are part of our lifes, the music scene which is related directly to the drugs (without the music there wouldnt be the drugs) is popular, the dance culture is a life style which has crossed over and been seen in adverts for popular products, even with the use of these products appearing now on pills, everything relates back and ecstasy culture is probably on of the most revolutionary things to happen in mainstream society ever in britain.
I think with the current rethink on the law on cannabis and certain proposals that have been made about more scientific trials into the effects of mdma, will hopefully lead to the decriminalisation of mdma in the uk, with websites like this and hopefully less media moral panics we can see that attitudes even in the government are changing and possibly starting to accept that something are now part of so many peoples lifes that it is mainstream culture and the once norms and values which were used by our parents are know irrelvent and we are open to more diverse cultures.
I see a lot of people on this site that altough they know about moderation seem to forget about ecstasy culture, they seem to believe that back in the say was 1996, americans and australians have only recently embraced ecstasy culture as more mainstream, therefore attitudes will be different.
If anyone wants to see the amount of good pills we get in britain look at pillreports, compared to the american and australian sections there is much less bunk and dangerous pills, the quality will be higher because people have higher expectations, therefore the supply must meet the demand, pills in the uk started to go downhill in quality in 1991, this was when people realised they could capitalise on what was fastly becoming a very profitable business and make pills with cheaper ingrediants in, this was 3 years after ecstasy started to gain peoples attention, I would say what is happening now is the same thing 10 years later but in countries such as america and australia.
Bob
[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: mc-bob-e ]

I agree 100% with what bob said...
and as far as pills being weaker in the UK...that's completely wrong, I live in italy but visit the UK every once in a while and the pills have almost always been good, like all over europe. The Further away u get from amsterdam and europe (south america, north america) the pills get weaker. I've been clubbing in south america too for a long time and good pills and pretty rare, whereas mindblowing pills in europe are very common.

This is really interesting -I was just wondering about this issue myself. Here in NYC we (at least my circle) think we're maxing out on 3 pills, and doing it weekly seems almost out of control. But that could just be my friends -we're kinda older and stuff....
what I wonder is if so many more people (is that true?) in uk are doing it, and doing it so much more, are there general changes for the better or worse in overall personalities of the culture? what have the transpersonal effects been?

It depends on how big is the culture of clubbing and the use of drugs. Here in Costa Rica if u take more than 3 or 4 pills, this is a high dose of MDMA and u have to pay so much for it($85), we are not used to take so many pills in one night. And in my opinion more than 4 pills is too much.
Our cultures are diferent, but for sure in UK u take high doses of E!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E@Costa Rica

here's my 2 cents
I live in Belgium (neighbouring country of the Netherlands) which is currently the biggest producer in the world. Still the quality of the pills in Belgium aren't mindblowing. You would expect it to be different being so close to the source of production. I must admit , the prices are cheap (about 3$ for 1 pill) but the amount of MDMA isn't that high either (mostly between 40-80mg in each pill). Sometimes you get a mindblowing batch untill the first copycats come around.
Being closer to the source doesn't necessarely mean you get more badass pills then others, it's just going to be a lot cheaper. The pills in the UK are not of a bad quality. But people in the UK, like we in Belgium, aren't prepared to pay 30-40$ for 1 pill like those in the old days (i'm talking about the real stuff)so the manufacterers need to cut down on production costs. Need i say more?
I just hope the prices get up as will the amount of mdma in each pill, cause we're in a fucked up situation right now! :(

are you speeding bob? ;) very well said.
Allot of dealers in the UK don't bother with selling less than 10, so thats still only £30 - £40; not much. This is especialy ture if you spilt the cost with someone. You now have 5 pills for the same price as an 1/8th of skunk (kine).
Which do you think is going to have more effect? I think thats a very important factor in many peoples minds. Entrance to club, £15, 5 pills, £20, £10 for water = £45 vs go to pub and blow £60 getting legless and acting like a twat.

First up im sitting in australia typing this.its seems to me like you guys definstely take more,though there is another point to make.there definately are alot of people in australia who also take 6+ pills in a nite on a regular basis,personaly i know of one lady friend who has taken just over 30 in one weekend,of course this is ridiculous but the point im about to make is this,these people always blow up after a short time,what i mean is they dont last long at these types of levels. ive seen it many times, they will go along like this for a peroid of months,often up to a year and a half and then there whole world comes crashing down and they realize that it isnt sustainable and they dissapear.either that or they cut right back to a crawl,like once every 2 to 3 months or so.the thing i was wondering mc-bob-e is if this happens to people in the UK aswell or if they just keep pushing on, which it seems to me like alot of people do. if this is the case i'd hazard a guess that it has not so much to do with the MDMA content in our pills,because yes i will accept the fact that there are alot more low quality pils around in australia,but also if you are consuming 5 to 10 pills a weekend you know which pils are crap and where the good ones are(and there are allways good ones around)but more to do with the dirtyness of some of the pils we get here in australia,the type that make for those really messy comedowns.although another thing to consider is the wide availabilty of speed,which is great :) but is allso often very unpure(like using matches to get phosphorus).just a thought.
[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: tHeRiDdLeR ]

I live in the uk, and it all comes down to who you know. When i first started buying pills, they where shite. I wud get 3 for a tenner, but it was about as good as getting 1 1/2 good pills. Back then i used to do abtou 5 or six in a nigth and think nothign of it. Now, i buy good pills, and am down to 2 or 3 max a night.
i find speed only slightly harder to get hold of than e. Theres LOADS of it in manchester

I've had friends come from Australia to the UK and complain about the poor quality of UK pills.
Of course, that could be because they were getting the best-quality Aussie pills and the worse UK ones. Another thing that occurs to me though is that Aussie pills are more likely to have speed, UK more likely to be pure MDMA. (TheGamer said the same thing about Canadian pills, many of which are apparently cut with meth).
Now the effects of speed last longer than those of MDMA, right? So if you were expecting to dance all night (being used to speed bombs) and only got a 4-5 hour roll off MDMA, you'd say the MDMA pill wasn't very good.

That essay (!) by bob is one of the best assesments of E culture in the UK that i've read. You ought to write a book lol. Or at least work for a drugs agency lobbying the government.
What ive read from ppl in the UK is true. For me its the cost and ready availability of pills that makes them so popular. Oh and the fact that the music, the images, the news... its everywhere. E is basically a part of life in Britain. For every generation of caners that grows tired there's another one just starting.
I went thru a phase of doing E every week. I suppose i got tired of it, though the cost of doing 10 pills a weekend, every weekend plus club entry fees and travel costs was the major factor. E has never "lost its magic" for me. Some of the best times have been recently since i moved down to London.
Now? I do 3-4 in a night (from about 10pm till 6am), though last time i went to a club i just took 2. 6 quid for night. I hate to think how much it would've cost if i'd have been drinking instead.

this is the reason that brits are such caners. we have soo many drugs here, and soo bloody cheap. if you go to the right person in bulk you can buy 50 pills for £75. its not just a few select people who do drugs. its the mainstream british youth. it starts off with drinking alcopops in the park, then acid and whizz, then pills speed coke. plus because we have such long working weeks we just want to get fucked on the weekends. drinking isnt available after 11pm so you cant just go and get pissed. but drug dealers are awake till all hours and are more than happy to sell. most of my dealers are my friends. and because they are your freinds they give you wicked deals. because drugs are part of the culture, we dont see it as a taboo.
plus the clubbing scene is soo prime for drug taking and pills in clubs are probably easier to get than a bottle of water, a lesson i learned from NYE at the dome.
plus we just dont really care, because not many people have told us the dangers. we arnt bombarded with the dangers all the time, because the govt. thinks that by telling us about drugs we will get the idea into our minds that we will do them.

I totally agree with a little bit of what everybody said!
I am in the US. A pretty small city,(But with a thriving club scene) - Pittsburgh.
When I started taking pills, I took tons of them every weekend. From Friday till Sunday, I would eat at least 10. But you have to understand that was about 7 years ago! Now I think I have grown out of rolling proper.
But still even now when I roll , which is about every couple months. I eat about 6 pills in a two day period.
The only thing different now is. It is very rare that I will even buy a pill at the club. Usually, I will buy say 10 tester pills. Test them at home, every way that I am capable of. . Then still Send one out to be tested at the lab.. and if they are in upwards of 100mgs of MDMA or more, I will then buy quantity.
It seems to be the best way to do it now that I am older. Also this method have given me one hell of a collection of pills!
But to answer your question about UK use VS. US use - I think it would all depend on how you look at it! In the United States the total use is deffinatley going to be lowered. .if you look at the entire country.
But if you look at the use in certain cities such as: Detroit, Los Angelas, New York, DC, Miami and even Pittsburgh, I think you would see much of the same statistics as you do in the UK!
However if you look at a statistic that contains use per square foot of area . . .The UK numbers would be almost disgusting. . .I would actually like to see on average how many people per sq foot use MDMA.

i am in new zealand probably the most isolated country in the world. and because of that the price of pills is ridiculous (about $70.00 nzd)
which is $35.00 us or 22 quid each.
but because of that we do tend to get good pills whether they come from Australia or Europe people have relised that they can sell them here and make a shit load more money. all my friends who have gone to england are taking more than here, but not because they are cheaper but because they are not as good.

bob-e you've put the entire situation of the UK chemical generation in a nutshell ;) nice1 mate!