• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

do u think taking drugs makes u more susceptable to supernatural experiences

which drugs?

Well it's not like any have been super spiritual to me. I always psychoanalyze my state during it. -_-

Salvia has unfortunately been the only true hallucinogen I have tried because it was the only was I was able to get my hands on.

Doing it by yourself + no prior hallucinogenic experience = ugh.

I didn't do anything stupid on it, but it was just such an empty drug for me. The hallucinations felt chemically-induced if that makes any sense, the experience was thematically consistent no matter how much was smoked or when as well, always the same dark parts taken from a blend of reality, fantasy, and whatever was going on in the background at the time.

I actually liked it the first time I spazzed out for five minutes then all but vowed I wouldn't do it again after several very negative experiences on it including one time where I probably smoked way too much and was left with an extremely sore face after the drug brought much unneeded attention to that area with pulling, twisting, and aching.

I am sure most of my experiences on other hallucinogens would be exponentially better, but shaking that anti- or a-spiritual vibe will be tough, especially for a scientifically-minded intellectual such as myself.

I am skeptical of the term supernatural. Everything is natural, even illusion and falsity.
But perhaps it can mean outside of the normal experience of reality, in which case I would answer the OP's question, "Yes." hehe.

i took mescaline twice recently, solo(perhaps), moderate dose - im not sure what to say yet...

it pointed a lot out to me, and it does hit the Solar Plexus;-) yeah it pointed out a lot actually -
lol.....i dont know what to say, it was chill and it flipped a that coil switch or something. there is no desire to do more, i wouldnt refuse, but i also dont feel the need for more - maybe in another so many years.

Actually since I started using drugs I've been less spiritual than ever because it reaffirms the point that chemicals in the brain can make people see things, think things, and feel things with no supernatural explanation necessary.

That is a little sad to me actually because it puts mortality into perspective and drains the meaning out of life.

I definitely know what you're saying, but I don't think spirituality should be confused with "the supernatural" they are two separate things that some people might say have a connection, but the connection between them isn't important.

Spirituality is a way of being, an attitude, a combination of attitudes and actions really, and it doesn't need to have anything to do with belief in God, ghosts, spirits, etc.

Also, life IS meaningless (except to simply carry on and propagate), but that is just the beginning of the fun, that's not the end of anything except a futile search for "meaning" when the question of "what's the meaning of life?" isn't even a coherent, intelligible, question. Nihilism shouldn't be mistaken for an outlook on life that is drab, gloomy, depressed, and lazy. It's the jumping off point from which you can really live YOUR life to the fullest, by choosing the things that you inherently want to do, thinking the thoughts you want to think, and grow into the person you want to be, you can direct your life without worrying about some nameless/faceless influence and some invisible set of regulations that you deem to be in affect. Nihilism rejects the idea of anything being more important than another thing, in the vast expanse of the void you make your own significance, you carve your own life to its desired dimensions because that's what you want to do.

That's kinda the attitude drugs have influenced in me I suppose, but it was more than just drugs that influences my way of thinking for sure.

in the vast expanse of the void you make your own significance, you carve your own life to its desired dimensions because that's what you want to do.

I agree.

In-fact realizing this enormous personal responsibility has brought my life to a halt through a sort of existential angst; freedom through anxiety if you will.

I tend to agree with this. To me meaninglessness and absurdity are both a source of peace/joy, not despair. In the past I interpreted them as being a source of pain because I thought my life was pointless. But now I see that I get to create my own meaning however I want and live the life that I choose to.

I agree with CoffeeDrinker that a distinction needs to be made between drugs inducing mystical experiences and drugs inducing supernatural experiences. One can have an experience that's apparently supernatural, that is, an intrusion from some other realm or world into our mundane experience, that's not at all mystical, that is, does not break down the barrier between you and all the rest of existence. In a truly mystical experience all distinctions and dichotomies are pretty much lost anyway, including natural vs. supernatural. I think it's pretty banal to say drugs make people more susceptible to mystical experiences. (I was hoping for a few more ghost stories from LSD land. :) )

I definitely relate to drug experiences that have made me realize that I'm in the driver's seat, and that I have much more creative power over the world before me than I'd ever imagined. But I don't relate at all to feeling that life was meaningless. In fact, I felt much more that way before using any drugs, and have found nihilism to be very much associated with disempowerment, but to each his own.

To me, the spiritual realizations that drugs have been a part of have made it seem very plausible to me that I'm just one in a long (endless?) string of incarnations of the One, but that at the same time nevertheless, this particular life is of utmost importance, that I was living this particular life right now in order to achieve something, and that I should cherish every moment of it and never stop searching for the subtle signs hidden around every corner that would guide me in the right direction.

So, I definitely like how a few of u have differentiated between the spiritual/mystical (i.e. attitudes, beliefs, feelings of connectedness) versus supernatural phenomenon (i.e. like seeing ghosts/orbs, seeing auras, astral projection, astral remote viewing). It seems like all agree that drugs open the mind to more spiritual experiences. And it also seems like a few of u spontaneously experienced supernatural phenomena while u were actually "high" on a drug.

Anyway, I am wondering, for those of u who have experienced levitation, sleep paralysis, lucid dreamimg, kundalini awakenings, see/sense/communicate w/supernatural entities, and the like, did u experience these things purposefully or spontaneously?

Do u feel like it is due to your drug use? And do u consider it a positive or negative experience?

-------------------
Just personal stuff explaining why I started this thread...

I specifically asked this question because I have been seeing supernatural phenomena while not on hallucinogens, not during amphetamine psychosis, not on dissociatives, nor shortly after. In fact, while I am sober or just on my regular suboxone dose and occassion h use, for the last few months, I have been regularly visited by what I deem as astral beings in a cosmic setting (stars and star tunnels). Almost every night, sometimes in the day, but never disruptive of my normal social, independent leisure, or work activities.

When I am alone, usually just before bedtime, if I am not too tired, I am visited by this main astral entity, who often brings others. The ceiling of my room turns into a starlit sky, and I am able to sometimes interact with this entity- his touch feels like static electricity, and he specifically answer my yes or no questions, and reacts to my movements. When I close my eyes, I am able to see the same scene on my ceiling. When I mediate and say "om". he says "om" with me as I can see the orifice created by his mouth as a deep blue. He has brought me on his star travels, where I have seen scenes of myself (or so it looks like me) and others, and if I loose my concentration, I will fall out of the travel. He breathes out different scenes and flies around with other beings. I finally

At first, I considered the possibility that this entity may be evil, only because a few people put the idea in my head, but I really see this entity as friendly and non-invasive, and am wondering why I am being visited, why I can interact with this entity, and what the purpose is. I don't think I am crazy (and neither does the entity). At that ashram, the head person and others seemed to think that visits by entities are all negative, due to the fact that I had done lots of drugs. I feel like that was an unfair assessment and still don't understand the reasoning, which is why I posed the question here. I was hoping to find some form of counseling there to interpret what I am experiencing, but all I received as counseling is "drugs are bad, mkay."

since you insist this is not any sort of delirium or psychosis...
;-)

we need more details, all that seems relevant is the sex of deity, blue in the mouth, and the astral relations. blue in the mouth seems relative to the throat chakra, which is indicative of many things, but 'psychic communication' is one big detail, and does not involve much verbal communication - asking and being told.

compile the details, allow any reoccurring "visions" to be recalled casually, it is easy to distort mental images we have with personal relations.

i share your frustrations, and can say that at the beginning of the summer, i almost had some healing/anointing oil used on me, at an orthodox church - but they changed their minds, saying to me that "it was too late", i could only smile acknowledge and accept, and pay respects anyhow - he had a strange grin telling me this and i didnt feel alarmed, there are many ways i can take that but it is only inspiring, i know it is not too late, because i know it has happened, and my, your, personal knowledge and "stamina", your personal-piety is what matters here - no life on earth is as glorious as any of that here after, and if you believe so, all that matters is the settling-peace to be found and to be shared with others, creating that peace that be here, ATM, perpetually...in the meantime, for such light does carry warmth which can not be felt in any material quarters of comfort - this is the essence of what he is giving you, to be shared, as peacefully as it is received.

Last edited:
^ u have a very positive outlook. Were u curious as to why they changed their minds? I'm glad that u handled it maturely and value ur own connection to the divine rather than on an organization or another person's opinion.

I would rather share the details with u via PM, as I don't want to bore ppl who aren't interested.

I was not a believer of the supernatural. I tried to scientifically rationalize my experiences, until finally my experiences were too intense. I have not practiced or wanted these things to happen to me: lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis, levitation, being hung upside down and moved all around the room, teleportation dreams (that seemed sudden, as if pushed into it the second I closed my eyes, very much having a sleep paralysis feel), intense CEVs while sober before sleeping for a period of years, seeing shadows turn into Christ figures, Kundalini awakening, seeing misty to opaque spirit entities, communicating with spirits while 100% awake (and also had a non-believing friend and believing friends see and feel them), and now watching them travel through the stars and occasionally interact more directly, as in tactile or audibly.

I realize that I cannot keep resisting what wants to appear to me. I feel in some ways helpless, and in some ways, lucky to have interesting experiences, and I feel like I may have a responsibility to learn something, which is why the message keeps getting more intense or is this the evolution of my life, like having a period. Mine just happen to confirm the Hindu religion and yogic beliefs, even though I am was raised to believe in both Christianity and Science.

Are all my supernatural experiences due to drugs (and my behavior) even though I didn't plan or expect or want or believe that this stuff could happen?

haha, i actually am not curious as to why they said that - i have three guesses...

istok, that is very intense, i have had a few psychedelic experiences comparable...while in alcohol w/d, i hallucinated a un-defined "figure" in the room with me, who i could see and hear, but i knew that i was delirious at the time. as a child had hallucinations that i still to this day can not believe was any sort of psychosis or a dream, i ran the first time, and the second i prayed.

i dont think you are lying, and it seems if you were psychotic to the point of such elaborate hallucinations, you would have quite a bit of cognitive impairment to match, you know???

my personal sure fire "obstacle breaker", is Ganesha.

Well like I tell my friend who is scared of ghosts. I have seen ghosts are far worse. How could I be scared of something thats not even there? Like he hears a noise or see's a flicker and jumps. I see it and I don't even care I mean I have tripped and been in WD and had Dt's and been coming down after lack of sleep and seen some scary shit. Demons, devils, imps, ghosts, zombies, moving masks, faces, voices, people, cops, dogs, cars, cartoons, you name it I have experiences it and as a result I find I don't fall for the spiritual crap that a lot of other people do. I look at realities with a sharp eye because I have seen it bend and know its tricks.

^Welcome to Bluelight mate. Just FYI, I would rather that you don't resurrect a 5 year old thread just to link to drugs-forum.

Cheers. :)

I think psychedelics make you more susceptible to any sort of experiences, whether they are real or imagined. They put you in a receptive state... that receptivity can be to your own delusion or to things of truth that perhaps you wouldn't have noticed without an altered state. It can go both ways. If supernatural experiences are real (I am undecided, though it depends on what you mean by "supernatural", because what is that other than the word we use to describe that which we don't have any idea how it works yet?), then I think psychedelics can certainly make you more likely to notice them, in some cases, just because you're in a state where you're looking at things with less of your normal run-of-the-mill thought process intact. But it's tremendously easy for you to believe your own mental suggestions as well.

I don't think, I know. It only takes something to reduce negative emotion to bring me in touch with my higher/real self. The trouble is I've become so accustomed to it by now I can't feel satisfied by being in the ego.

I don't think, I know. It only takes something to reduce negative emotion to bring me in touch with my higher/real self. The trouble is I've become so accustomed to it by now I can't feel satisfied by being in the ego.

Personally, I don't see how you could know. Given that drugs distort baseline thinking, isn't it wiser to adopt a sceptical stance in relation to ocurrences under the influence? Not saying you should disregard them, but be extremely discerning...

I think some drugs certainly open the mind and allow the possiblity of supernatural experience. If I can smoke salvia and suddenly exist in what seems like a new, unqiue geography, what else is possible? But, one must take this with a grain of salt.

Whenever I think I know something about the nature of reality, I do a simple exercise... I tell myself, "This is what I THINK, and BELIEVE, but I do not truly KNOW". It helps to keep me humble and grounded.