• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

do u think taking drugs makes u more susceptable to supernatural experiences

itsok

Bluelighter
not saying the experience is good or bad. but i was at an ashram and Maha Dev (Great God, ugh). seemed to think that all drugs are bad even if u learn from them and then bad spirits can bend ur will. may it cud be partially true. but there could be compassion and learning thru drugs, and will drugs necessarily attract low level spirits (which i dont like the judgement).

i have a problem w this bc there is no proof. i need an explanation that makes sense.

I also heard that when one is sober they are more protected. this seems like someone's opinion or experience.

Do any of u experience supernatural phenomenon (uncommon, like hindu yogi stuff) when sober more than on hard drugs (not psych).

Last edited:
i would suppose being in a state that is most likely unaccustomed, seeking the unaccustomed, attempting to differentiate between a possible negative or positive general experience, or a hallucination and "delirium", might be difficult.

then entering or attempting to attain spiritual acknowledgment, your self, or "guide"...there is question there as to ones own resources, is a word ill use. taking psychedelics will smash your ego if done "right", but if your thoughts never make any sense, and you dont even remember anything, this adds plenty more confusion to everything else.

Maybe it's a correlation does not equal causation type relationship that you're talking about. Or maybe it's just a matter of semantics.

All I know is the all roads lead to Rome. For it took me a hallucinogenic experience to understand the Upanishads and being able to subjectivise its meaning without literally believing in Hinduism. "Bad spirits bending your will" and the like, are all metaphors for how hallucinogens affects one's conception of what is, what is not. Even delirants like Brugmansia which could be the closest in causing "bad spirits bending your will", can be used in conjunction with Ayahuasca vine in some shaman ceremonies. "Nothing is poison, Everything is poison, The poison is the dose."

I think so. More, i think it actually creates a mindset where you are more open to the possibility of the 'road less traveled', as far as religiously supernatural.

I believe I've had several moments of clarity, to the supernatural extent. But I'm told those moments are episodes of Amphetamine Insanity. Be that as it may, I love when they happen. If Christianity wasn't so popular, they would say the same thing about it that they would about something supernatural.

Would you be comfortable with having a doctor diagnose or treat you under the influence of a psychedelic? Depending on your answer, then you can see the value that you give to psychedelic insight.

I've not had that many but probably most or all of my "spiritual" experiences have involved some sort of substance. Not intentionally to have such an experience, just as a by-product.

I would be skeptical of any blanket statements like "ALL" drugs are bad and will lead to being controlled by bad spirits. Unless a person has experienced every single drug and every single experience that a drug can be the catalyst for, nobody is qualified to make a statement like that.

Would you be comfortable with having a doctor diagnose or treat you under the influence of a psychedelic? Depending on your answer, then you can see the value that you give to psychedelic insight.

I would rather give it to the shaman to help me...

I can interpret the title two different ways:
1. Do drugs make one more susceptible to the subjective notion that one is having a brush with the supernatural?
2. Do drugs open one's perceptive faculties to realities beyond the natural world, which normally aren't perceptible to us?

I'd say definitely yes to number one, and quite possibly to number two.

The hard part is telling the difference.

MDAO: That our perceptive faculties are open to the natural world at all seems to me to be rather controversial as it is.

I can interpret the title two different ways:
1. Do drugs make one more susceptible to the subjective notion that one is having a brush with the supernatural?
2. Do drugs open one's perceptive faculties to realities beyond the natural world, which normally aren't perceptible to us?

I'd say definitely yes to number one, and quite possibly to number two.

The hard part is telling the difference.

Ha I'd say quite possibly to number one & definitely yes to number two

Yes and yes. This is kind of embarrasing to say because stimulants have such a bad reputation, but I've had incredible
brushes with the normally unseen after binging on either high dose methamphetamine or IV cocaine. (and MXE briefly)

^Yes I've also had some of my most "interesting" experiences on meth/amphetamines. To each their own.

All I know is on alot of XTC I saw what people refer to as "spirit orbs" and they are EVERYWHERE...you name it.....there there...

Altering your state of consciousness and allowing it to expand much farther, possibly than normal, it would be possible to be in a better position to experience certain things, I am fairly sure. Just one mans opinion though.

Actually since I started using drugs I've been less spiritual than ever because it reaffirms the point that chemicals in the brain can make people see things, think things, and feel things with no supernatural explanation necessary.

That is a little sad to me actually because it puts mortality into perspective and drains the meaning out of life.

Actually since I started using drugs I've been less spiritual than ever because it reaffirms the point that chemicals in the brain can make people see things, think things, and feel things with no supernatural explanation necessary.

That is a little sad to me actually because it puts mortality into perspective and drains the meaning out of life.
which drugs?

I don't think it does render supernatural explanation unnecessary. I conceive the brain as an organ fully focused on survival in the material universe. I believe drugs can permit the system that causes this intense external material focus to be over ridden sometimes. So the chemicals are not always the cause of what you experience IMO.