• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do SSRIs block opioid euphoria?

CrimpJiggler

Bluelighter
I just tried opioids recently for the first time in about a year but rather than giving euphoria, it just made me nauseous and a little dysphoric. Other than nausea, the side effects aren't really there either, I'm not itching or nodding for example.

I started an SSRI (sertraline) a month ago, could that be blocking opioid euphoria? If so, does getting off the SSRI bring the euphoria back?

If took Tramadol, yes, it might have blocked the euphoria because you might have been experiencing serotonin syndrome, which is really unpleasant and could have overshadowed the euphoria coming from the MOR agonism. Don't combine the two. Otherwise, the SSRI shouldn't block any of the euphoria, as they act on completely different receptors (Of course, with the exception of Tramadol), and the SSRI may even potentiate the euphoria because serotonin is a euphoriant itself.

Also, if you took something like a KOR or DOR agonist, the two other receptors, then dysphoria comes with the package. The only xOR that gives euphoria in my knowledge is the MOR, which is agonized by opioids like Hydro(cod/morph)one, Oxy(cod/morph)one, Heroin, Morphine, Codeine, ODMT (Metabolite of Tramadol), and a few others.

i take an antidepressant, a mood stabilier, and an anti psychotic and they dont block any euphoric effects of opiates. I wish they did. maybe you just didnt have enough

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I GO THROUGH!!! I was prescribed paxil in 2001 for depression, I noticed whenever I took opiates such as hydrocodone and codeine , I would get the normal come up and buzz, but after 20mins it completely dropped off and I was sober, no itches no after glow...fast forward to 2016...I was on Zoloft just up until last month and I noticed the same fucking problem, with suboxone and heroin, taken at different times, spaced out months separately, before anyone chimes in and says it was the suboxone blocking the heroin....when I was taking the suboxone I could hardly feel it compared to how I did when I was off Zoloft, same with the heroin....basically what I'm saying is YES DEFINETLY, SSRIs reduce..

I was wondering the same thing, specifically with Lexapro and taking Oxy or Hydro.
Anyone have experiences getting high on either while on Lexapro?
Did you notice any difference? Thanks!

Dopamine says: You're finally getting what you always wanted.
Serotonin says: You got enough of it, it's time to stop.

You do the math.

Used to take 80mg Prozac daily. Never stopped me from getting euphoria or blocked any effects from oxy or opana.

Took fluoxetine throughout the formative year of my heroin addiction, never had any problems getting as high as a kite. Don't know if it's the synthetic opioids that seem to de - synergise when combined but the only drug they ever interfered with my end was MDXX / ecstasy tablets which was the main reason I fucked them off.

EDIT: Sorry I've just woke up - the thread specifically does state opioids, a group of drugs that heroin (arguably......) doesn't belong in. I've never taken anything more artificial than a semi synthetic (heroin & dihydrocodeine) save for methadone and tramadol (yuck) - the first I cannot comment on re: SSRI interactions but the second is already discussed above as it's chemical resemblance to an SNRI in terms of it's action at least doesn't sound like a good one to mix with any AN-/D.

Last edited:
I take lexapro 20mg every night and I do oxicodone almost everyday.. I have a tolerance so it takes me at least 2 1/2-3 30 mg oxy for me to even catch a buzz.

If took Tramadol, yes, it might have blocked the euphoria because you might have been experiencing serotonin syndrome, which is really unpleasant and could have overshadowed the euphoria coming from the MOR agonism. Don't combine the two. Otherwise, the SSRI shouldn't block any of the euphoria, as they act on completely different receptors (Of course, with the exception of Tramadol), and the SSRI may even potentiate the euphoria because serotonin is a euphoriant itself.

Also, if you took something like a KOR or DOR agonist, the two other receptors, then dysphoria comes with the package. The only xOR that gives euphoria in my knowledge is the MOR, which is agonized by opioids like Hydro(cod/morph)one, Oxy(cod/morph)one, Heroin, Morphine, Codeine, ODMT (Metabolite of Tramadol), and a few others.

I don't think its just tramadol that interacts with the serotonin system. Theres a whole lot modern science doesn't yet know about what drugs really do, its kinda scary that psychiatrists think they know what they're doing when the reality of the matter is we know only a fraction of what different classes of meds actually do.

It wasn't tramadol I was using, it was a fentanyl analogue. The initial rush was there, but that was about it. Lots of nausea afterwards.

I have the same problem. I was on Zoloft and had problems feeling codeine, heroin, and even suboxone at a time when I was just doing suboxone. ..same problem I had with paxil....I get high. ..than the high drops off completely and literally I go from 60 to ZERO..no itches..no glow at all. ..quite ridicolus

I've never experienced that.
I've been on many, many SSRIs over the course of my life and have never noticed them blocking opiate euphoria. I was on paxil when I got addicted to heroin. :\

I take lexapro 20mg every night and I do oxicodone almost everyday.. I have a tolerance so it takes me at least 2 1/2-3 30 mg oxy for me to even catch a buzz.

Very cool, thanks.
Just took my normal dose of Oxy and so far, so good :)

Interesting I had never thought of this... IV hydromorphone 30mg (CANADA) daily & take Lexapro (Escitalopram/Cipralex) and the hydro totally lost their magic, used to lose my breath a second and have a very intense rush but now there is nothing crazy there, its likely just my tolerance although its now ended up with me getting addicted to methamphetamine so I've been doing speedballs daily for the past year 8(... absolutely fucked up how difficult it is to quit using the demon substance that is crystal. Opiates are just not the same anymore :(

Last edited: