• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do my pods look coated to you?

frostwalker

Greenlighter
Hi forum. I've been lurking Bluelight for years but this is my first post. I've been using poppy seed tea for a while but have come into possession of a quantity of dried P. giganthemum pods that I'm hoping to use for pod tea. To my dismay, I noticed that they seem to be coated with a thin, matte white film which is slightly tacky to the touch. The film is odourless, thin, waxy in appearance and feel but does not transfer to the fingers. Picture is a sample pod from my collection. Could anyone familiar and experienced with dried pod appearance give their opinion as to the state of my pods? Warnings abound about preservative coatings being applied to pods and I'm afraid that if I can't verify that this hazy sheen is a normal feature of dried giganthemum, I'll have to ditch my collection. I have already tried to find the information using Google and managed to find one reference to this coating, posted on another forum by someone with basically the same concerns as me. They were told by one person that it's a normal feature of dried pods. Any help is appreciated. Sorry about the formatting.

We can't really tell you beyond speculation. Although I will give you props for adding the pic. Could be anything from latex resin to wax but maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I've never seen them that color. Are they all that color?

Mine were always Brown/tan with black and sometimes purplish spots but nowhere near those colors.

In sake of HR I must say don't use them. I'm a dumbass though so I'd probably use them...once at lesst.

Check with other people who used the same vendor. You can't do it on this forum but there are places where you can ask.

It's been a while but I remember all different kinds of pods having that white film. And also if I remember correctly they were fine. I use to clean up the pods with a little water and vinegar and a paper towel before using. Not many pods stopped me from using them except the moldy ones. Those were thrown out. But from the picture I see it looks like all the others I've had.

Now usually threads like this get closed because there is no way to tell anything from a picture so heed that caution. For all we know the film could be strychnine. (doubtful) So I am only answering this based off of my many years of pods. (1996-2009). My family owned a flower store and dried poppy pods were and still are a robust dried flower for arrangements so I have seen many. And back then they were 30 cents a piece for some killer gigs. That whole hobby are seemed to have faded away these days.

So be careful and use common sense. But I can say from that pic it looks like all others I have had. I may even remember drying some of my own and having that dusty look. But in the name of harm reduction I agree with Boupstarmn, don't use them. :D (ah Jack!!) Or just use one. Good ones work well with just one anyway.

I've never seen them that color. Are they all that color?

You mean the blue hue? That was caused by the light I used for the photo. The actual colour is as you describe, tan with black blotches, the white wazy haze is the only feature I'm unsure about.

I have been looking for feedback about the supplier, found a couple of notes saying they're good but the posts were years old and didn't really address appearance. The search continues.

threads like this get closed because there is no way to tell anything from a picture so heed that caution. For all we know the film could be strychnine.

Thanks for the warning, I understand that and I'm not asking anyone to tell me they're safe or otherwise. That's impossible to know of course! Determining whether this waxy coating is a usual feature of the poppies is the only thing I'm looking to do.

I remember all different kinds of pods having that white film.

That's what I was wondering! :D My own thought is that it's probably just fats/latex which have oozed from the skin during drying but it doesn't hurt to ask people with greater experience if they've seen it before.

Good ones work well with just one anyway.

These things are huge! reminds me of hand grenades.

Last edited:
From the pic and what you describe, they're fine. I used pods daily for years, some had a white film, dark spots. Honestly, I thought I saw mold a couple times, but due to addiction, I still used them.

I don't know for sure, but I say go for it.

Sure that it isn't just poppy latex coating it? (The opium)

Pod looks purdy

They look like fine pods. I've had pods with blue-grey coating like that and they've always been strong. They sometime come out like that. It's nothing artficial, just poppy latex.