• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do antidepressants blunt ADHD stimulants like adderall or vyvanse

adhdanon

Greenlighter
So after cutting my zoloft dose in half to 25 mg from 50 mg, I still have some ptsd anxiety but trying to work through it with only a little xanax 0.25 mg left for my first day of work tomorrow. I'm also prescribed Effexor (An SNRI) 75 mg which i felt i was seeing a bit clearer but felt more jittery and i heard SNRIs are harder to quit. When I raise my zoloft dose to 50 mg, I'm lethargic and have dulled emotions but my libido is tamed and i have less anxiety.

I think during the course of grad school i didnt need the antidepressant and it was my ex-gf that caused me the anxiety and childhood ptsd abuse i suffered that i didnt see until after i got help from a psych. She's annoyed i keep calling her but i wanted to get input here before tomorrow.

On this Zoloft dose of 25 mg I'm seeking validation constantly and when I'm on a higher dose like 50 mg I don't seek validation as much but I look pretty angry and either I should be because my older brother and mother ruined my relationship with a woman i truly loved despite her issues (which may have been a mistake on the higher dose) but I was on lexapro 10 mg not Zoloft and they may be very different meds.

I have vyvanse 30 mg and adderall ir 10 mg tablets with only a few adderall xr 25 mg to go with that and feel like I need higher dose of an SSRI to help with stimulants or it was just blunting the dopamine i needed hence why i do better on less. My anxiety is off the charts today any help is appreciated, thank you

Not too sure about other antidepressants, but Zoloft (sertraline is the generic, which I currently use) does minimize the effects of some stimulants. Unlike other SSRIs, it's a sigma receptor antagonist. That helps with anxiety-dominant depression, but many stimulant drugs also act as sigma agonists so you do lose some effect there. Also most SSRIs inhibit seratonin transporters from returning excess back to neurons or storing it. This also makes amphetamine unable to cause the disabled transporters to release stored seratonin, which lessens the euphoria a bit.

DISCLAIMER: Always do your own research, and take what I say with a grain of salt. I can't guarantee that I'm correct, as I'm self taught and by no means a professional. ?

I quit and restarted sertraline 100mg while beginning a daily methamphetamine habit. That habit arose from an attitude of "fuck it" and rage with a post failed grad-school existence and a life that crashed into the mountains and set the taiga ablaze, a conflagration that devoured all and smolders metaphorically today. There was a woman involved. So, common ground.

There's nothing I can say for sure is different with or without the Zoloft. It's not a perfect comparison, but that's what I can report subjectively. If you wanna know, is there a direct, pharmacological interference between amphetamines and the two anti-depressants you take, the answer is no*.

*Far as a burnout with no medical and limited pharma training is aware. The amphetamines have action at the NET (norepinephrine) and SERT (serotonin) transporters, but for NET, your venlafaxine/Effexor is too weak to really stop it, and at SERT, both anti-deps will overpower it. But amphetamines don't do much serotonin business anyway.

And Mx. Chance, above, is right about sertraline and sigma receptors, so that is a possible conflict. But sigma is one of those new mystery receptors, and it's tough to say whether that's good or bad.

PS your Zoloft and Effexor basically do the same thing, it's like taking two SSRIs. Effexor's pretty shitty as a NET inhibitor, and your stims will be stronger. And FWIW, Lexapro/escitalopram, is also just another SSRI. So you might want to try branching out to things like mirtazapine or buspirone, which are anti-anxiety, anti-depression meds with different mechanisms. Or drop them all and the stims and just do some Welbutrin/bupropion instead.