Recruiting DMT Research Participants Wanted: Looking for Paticipants to Interview About Personal Experiences of DMT Use for Low Mood/Depression

UoB_DMT_Research

Greenlighter
Hi all, I am conducting some research exploring DMT use for low mood/depression and am looking for anyone that would be interested in taking part in a text-based interview about their experiences.

If you are interested, please DM me and we can arrange a time for the interview. Alternatively, you can message me on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/user/UoB_DMT_Research/) or Telegram, if you would prefer (https://t.me/UoB_DMT_Research).

The research is being conducted out of the University of Birmingham, but particpants are welcome worldwide. The project have beeen approved internally by the University of Birmingham's ethical review board.

The study has already started and participants will be recruited over the next two weeks. Participation will involve an online, text-based, interview that will last between 60-90 minutes.

The interview needs to be anonymous so please don't disclose any personal information when you contact me.

More information on the official webpage for the study can be found here: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/resear...methyltriptamine-use-low-mood-depression.aspx

Thanks all

7m4A3Ov.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BL

Please take a minute to read through our

and add some simple edits to your OP.

Good luck with your research!

I have severe mental illness. C-PTSD, anxiety, OCD, ADHD and therefore depression. I can tell you it's the most fantastic thing I've EVER tried for low mood, depression, anxiety, even my OCD. If I could have an endless supply I would, because I'm also very suicidal and it was able to make me stop feeling that way when I last had it, took it often between March and May, but at least 120 times in total. It also fucking destroys headaches.

I have severe mental illness. C-PTSD, anxiety, OCD, ADHD and therefore depression. I can tell you it's the most fantastic thing I've EVER tried for low mood, depression, anxiety, even my OCD. If I could have an endless supply I would, because I'm also very suicidal and it was able to make me stop feeling that way when I last had it, took it often between March and May, but at least 120 times in total. It also fucking destroys headaches.
Hi BourbonMac,

If you are intersted in taking part in the study, please DM me on this website. Alternatively, you can contact me on reddit or Telegram using the links provided at the top.

Many thanks.

Is this study still open?? And errr, I'm guessing it's in England...not Alabama, eh? lol

Sorry I've been inactive. I can get around to messaging you about how it's helped me.

@UoB_DMT_Research Looks like a fascinating study. Thanks for sharing it with us.

May I ask, you mentioned text based interviews. Do you mean via live text chat? Or more asynchronous, e.g. email?

I love the live text chat interview method, personally, and wrote about it a while ago - sharing my article in case it has relevance for your methodology.

sharing my article in case it has relevance for your methodology.
I gave that study a read; it's really interesting.
I was shocked when I read that you had conducted those interviews in 2008.
You may very well be the first academic researcher to use instant messaging to formally interview study participants.

I noticed that only 1/27 of the participants wanted to use encrypted messaging.
Do you think that proportion would be much larger if you had conducted that study today?

I gave that study a read; it's really interesting.
I was shocked when I read that you had conducted those interviews in 2008.
You may very well be the first academic researcher to use instant messaging to formally interview study participants.

I noticed that only 1/27 of the participants wanted to use encrypted messaging.
Do you think that proportion would be much larger if you had conducted that study today?
Thanks.
I wasn't the first ever to do it, but possibly the first or one of the first to do it in the drugs field... although people were using chat programs to interview people about drugs in the 1990s so if that counts, then maybe not!
Yes, in 2007-08 when I collected data for my thesis, encrypted messaging options were really hard to use and set up, so it wasn't commonly done by everyday folks.
In 2024 it is completely different, given how we all have access to encrypted messaging apps on our phones.
So yes I think if repeating the study today, indeed, I'd probably just mandate we use encrypted.
Having said that if you use Signal for this purpose, you need someone's mobile.
And that's quite identifying.
We used to have wickr but that has stopped now. wickr used to have an option where you didn't require mobile numbers to use it, so it was encrypted and more anonymous.
In the study we did in 2013-14 with people who bought drugs from Silk Road, we only offered encrypted messaging options because as researchers we needed to be completely clear that we could not identify anyone. My colleague Alexia conducted the interviews, which were all done in encrypted text chat.