Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT Discussion! [Whats Your Best Advice?]

LordFran

Bluelighter
The question is,

Whats Your Best Advice For Soon To Be DMT Smokers?

My best advice is;

If you ever smoke DMT my best advice is to pretend you are dead. Smoke in bed, get under the covers and go to sleep. You must relax. Tired. Slepy. Couzy. You're so tired. It was a tiring day.

Its time to sleep

Ideally, I would love to be lightly burried in the soil in the forest with only my head sticking out and smoke and practice this sleeping method there.

1. Have a basic understanding that nothing you've ever done can prepare you for what you're about to experience. No amount of reading first person experiences can properly convey the total nature of the experience. The experience is, on many levels, inexpressible via language.

2. YOU WILL NOT DIE, assuming your DMT is decent quality and actual n,n DMT, not some research chemical. That cannot be stressed enough for a 1st time DMT smoker. I've seen more people have the "oh, fuck, I've done it this time" reaction than not on their 1st breakthrough.

3. Relax, dont fight it, embrace it and the experience is much more friendly.

4. DMT entities are essentially benevolent, like most teachers. You may not always agree with a teacher's methods, but the lessons are worth any temporary discomfiture.

Like others have said....

1. DMT is NOT recreational
2. be prepared to fucking die
3. DMT IS NOT RECREATIONAL!!!!!!!!!
4. Do not go into DMT thinking you will meet mechanical space elf entities.... you may, you may not.... you will meet whatever you meet....
5. DO NOT combine a bunch of other drugs before smoking DMT. All of my "bad/scary" DMT trips were when I was already high/drunk
6. DO NOT expect to "have fun". You get what you get.
7. VAPE IT CORRECTLY. DMT is notoriously difficult to vape correctly.... like a 20 degree F temp difference means nothing or you burn your shit
8. Make SURE you have no pre-existing mental health issues....
9. Do not smoke DMT 3x per day like I was doing at one point.....
10. DMT is a very special drug and should be used on very special occasions.

I could probably say another 1000 things but I'll leave it at that...

I forgot a very important part of not thinking you are going to die: you are still breathing! After the physical buzz and aural changes begin, but before reality disintegrates, it may feel as though you are experiencing respiratory difficulties. This is not the case; it's a function of sudden, extreme time dilation. It may seem like an inordinately long time between that last conscious breath or two, but in reality it isn't, unless you're holding your breath from panic! I find this more common from 5-meo-DMT than n,n DMT, but the same basic effect is part of the profile of both substances.

I've been taking a few different harmalas a couple times a week on their own in sort of an exploratory fashion, I need to stop being such a chickenshit and hit some DMT on them. I'm unsure if they'll make the experience easier or if it'll be way to much... I'm thinking possibly both. I can't find anyone really speaking to duration combining oral harmalas and vaped DMT. Most info is about the two smoked together or both orally.

I've always kind of wanted to try a big hit of DMT on an ayahuasca brew, but once the brew takes effect, it seems like it might be somewhat redundant. I find ayahuasca to be like a sub-breakthrough DMT trip that's decompressed in time. I have "lost myself" for fleeting moments after ingesting ayahuasca, but I've never quite gotten to full breakthrough territory. Some day, I'll give it a go.

A breakthrough can seem to last ages with one's MAO fully intact, so I can only imagine what it would be like without the rapid breakdown of DMT.

Are you using P. Harmala, B. Capii, or another source of beta-carbolines like passionflower??

Last edited:
I forgot a very important part of not thinking you are going to die: you are still breathing! After the physical buzz and aural changes begin, but before reality disintegrates, it may feel as though you are experiencing respiratory difficulties. This is not the case; it's a function of sudden, extreme time dilation. It may seem like an inordinately long time between that last conscious breath or two, but in reality it isn't, unless you're holding your breath from panic! I find this more common from 5-meo-DMT than n,n DMT, but the same basic effect is part of the profile of both substances.

This is my difficulty when taking DMT. Mine is an extract which I had the absolute brainwave of adding a little cannabis to in order to make it easier to smoke!!! Any way, the hold it in leaves me gasping for O2 and that is a horrible feeling to get through - I even try hyperventilating a bit before hand to try and give myself a little boost of O2.

I think all that needs said has been said here but:

DMT is not recreational, in no shape or form should it be taken for a laugh, it ain't funny!

Lie down, preferably on a bed in a chilled environment.

If you haven't a RC then the only death is that of the Ego so embrace it. I have struggled against it ,(with Salvia, not managed Ego death on DMT) and it can be quite difficult. Once you let go then all anxiety and pain disappear.

I would suggest Ayahuasca but you do you.
Ayahuasca can be (IS) amazing, but if you take any daily medication and/or eat a lot of tyramine containing food, doing it safely to avoid an interaction with the MAOI takes a lot of planning and discipline to do safely. I actually prefer ayahuasca, but it's not something I can do more than once every 3-4 years due to the amount of planning required. If the MAOI interaction isn't an issue for you, however, ayahuasca is a good way to go.

This is my difficulty when taking DMT. Mine is an extract which I had the absolute brainwave of adding a little cannabis to in order to make it easier to smoke!!!

I've done enough DMT for a lifetime, but about 75% of the time I would smoke it in a weed sandwich. I found this method to be surprisingly effective, only better method IMO is a properly configured vape or machine. With that being said I had a huge tolerance to weed at that time and I wouldn't DARE doing that with no weed tolerance. Yikes!

DMT is not recreational, in no shape or form should it be taken for a laugh, it ain't funny!
Spot on. One of the least recreational substances ever. If you go into it with hedonistic intentions it's going to kick your ass.

The only "bad" DMT trips I ever had (have done it 50+ times) was when I combined it with a lot of alcohol. Honestly thought I was dying. Happened a few times.

With all that said I find my favorite way to use DMT is to smoke it at the peak of another psychedelic, like especially LSD. Absolutely MIND BLOWING. Only a brave and experienced psychonaut should do this, though.

smoked weed after chanaga would never repeat that was very intense the weed sent me into hyperspace for hours til it wore off.

smoked weed after chanaga would never repeat that was very intense the weed sent me into hyperspace for hours til it wore off.

when I was a kid and we had brown Mexican weed everywhere which was like 2-4% THC it wasn't a big deal.... now every fucking strain is like 25% THC

man I remember I could just smoke a joint for awhile and feel great.... now its like I just smell a nug and fucking go insane for 2 hours

high THC strains, distillates, dabs.... all created by dudes with insane levels of THC tolerance

I would rather smoke 200mg of DMT than smoke an entire high potency joint with no tolerance............... would have less anxiety...

Last edited:
With all that said I find my favorite way to use DMT is to smoke it at the peak of another psychedelic, like especially LSD. Absolutely MIND BLOWING. Only a brave and experienced psychonaut should do this, though.

My absolute best DMT experiences have been when I smoke just after the peak of a mushroom trip starts to subside. And I'm specifically meaning "heroic dose" mushroom trips. Ever since I started growing my own I've finally had the personal supply to take my doses incrementally higher and higher above what I would consider "recreational" or "social" tripping. Never gone past 9 grams dried cubensis, though. And even a dose that high can easily start scratching the surface of a full breakthrough.

Anyway, I'm at an age where I don't have many peers who are interested in psychedelics; or really most drugs in general. So I usually trip alone, with high doses and not often. The issue with adding DMT to the mix is that a heavy shroom trip can make it damn near impossible to properly smoke by yourself. Knowing this, I often preload my device with extra so I know there's enough for a breakthrough while I inevitably struggle to smoke it. Even though I certainly wasted some deems in the process, when you get it right it's in-fucking-credible. I've only done the combo four times, but they were four of the most amazing and indescribable experiences in my life!

When I came back from that first breakthrough on a 5 gram shroom trip I officially decided that I don't need to seek out all these new novel tryptamine RCs that just keep getting more and more numerous. I'm sure they're fun and offer amazing trips with their own personalities, but I've found my sweet spot. And all it requires is some root bark + simple chemistry, a spore syringe + a little know-how, and a bit of patience.

I feel like DMT could be recreational, if it weren’t always in such a hurry. Every time I’ve used it, I’ve gone into it seeking answers. And it gives me the answers to every existential question I’ve ever had, but I can’t take notes, and by the time I come down, my mind and soul has been filled with so much information I couldn’t possibly remember it all.

It has been a couple years since my last time, and I have a kilo of bark waiting to be extracted, but I haven’t convinced myself I need to go there again yet.

My absolute best DMT experiences have been when I smoke just after the peak of a mushroom trip starts to subside. And I'm specifically meaning "heroic dose" mushroom trips. Ever since I started growing my own I've finally had the personal supply to take my doses incrementally higher and higher above what I would consider "recreational" or "social" tripping. Never gone past 9 grams dried cubensis, though. And even a dose that high can easily start scratching the surface of a full breakthrough.

Anyway, I'm at an age where I don't have many peers who are interested in psychedelics; or really most drugs in general. So I usually trip alone, with high doses and not often. The issue with adding DMT to the mix is that a heavy shroom trip can make it damn near impossible to properly smoke by yourself. Knowing this, I often preload my device with extra so I know there's enough for a breakthrough while I inevitably struggle to smoke it. Even though I certainly wasted some deems in the process, when you get it right it's in-fucking-credible. I've only done the combo four times, but they were four of the most amazing and indescribable experiences in my life!

When I came back from that first breakthrough on a 5 gram shroom trip I officially decided that I don't need to seek out all these new novel tryptamine RCs that just keep getting more and more numerous. I'm sure they're fun and offer amazing trips with their own personalities, but I've found my sweet spot. And all it requires is some root bark + simple chemistry, a spore syringe + a little know-how, and a bit of patience.

Fascinating. Really. You mention your age. How old and how long has this been your interest/hobby? At 56, not too many others like me with a strong interest in exploring my mental space. "The happiness of pursuit," as Raja Ram has said. Have you found a difference in your trip experiences, not dependent on substance but dependent on the ageing process?

DMT in e-liquid with a button-free airflow-triggered battery is where it's at. Can be beyond time and space and don't even have to open your eyes or fumble to keep huffing away.

I still need to give it a try with some harmalas and see how it slows things down but I'm not sure I should without a sitter. Dissociatives of course slow it down but you still can't remember much, because... dissociatives.
Have you had excellent experiences with vaping DMT like this? I had several experiences that were somewhat disappointing as I could not get a sufficient dose of DMT for me. I eventually concluded that perhaps the vape could not get as hot as a flame and was perhaps improperly vaporizing the dmt. ?Thoughts?

Fascinating. Really. You mention your age. How old and how long has this been your interest/hobby? At 56, not too many others like me with a strong interest in exploring my mental space. "The happiness of pursuit," as Raja Ram has said. Have you found a difference in your trip experiences, not dependent on substance but dependent on the ageing process?

56 here too. The hobby is down to a trickle these days but I still check in. I mostly come here to hear other's eperience with substances I will never really get a chance to do.

I just wanted to comment. A week or two ago I was ready for another trip and loaded 22 mgs in a pipe. The sandwich method works 100% for me. Smooth, easy, as long as you cherry the top herb before you rip. Anyway what happened was so out of the ordinary it makes me want to leave it all there and never do it again. For good reason. So I hit it, hear that carrier wave, get thrown into the Aztec symbols and hieroglyphics, after that a huge blue wave was coming at me. Very much like the Poseidon Adventure and I went Oh shit just like Leslie Nielson. However it was 10 million different shades of blue and it engulfed me. I felt the more and more Peace as it approached and satisfaction and comfort I ever really felt. I never saw so many shades of blue. I never felt such peace from such a strong psychedelic. I stayed there looking at the shades of blue washing over me and I believe I said thank you out loud a few times. Then after the wave I can tell there was information and metaphors I was witnessing but I could not understand it all. And when I did not completely understand the trip took on a "no problem that is ok thanks for trying" type of tone. The ideas and thoughts go by so fast that latching on to some takes full attention but a human mind is not enough. Information overload. It takes me weeks to digest just one trip.

That peace was something else and the blue colors were really something.

Last edited:

I'm 39. And I don't have a regular enough history of use to really make a judgement as far as how the trips themselves are. After about 23-24 I walked away from psychs due to by burgeoning alcoholism. There was a solid 15 years where I did zero psychedelic drugs and instead, traded several addictions back and forth for a decade or so. I've only picked back up with DMT and mushrooms in the last two years. What I can say for sure is this: Back in my early 20s, tripping was a social experience. Or at least it was always intended to be. Neither myself, nor my friends took anything more than "recreational" doses and always in small groups. Now, I don't desire that at all. I take large doses and seek inner worlds; alone and mostly in a dark room with music. The deeper the better. I can't say whether or not it's age related or something else, but that's the type of experience I want these days, so that's what I do. Sorry that I can't share any further insight.