• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discovery Channel Storm Chaser Joel Taylor ODs on GHB, Dies

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...annel-storm-chasers-dies-38-article-1.3775830

Joel Taylor, who starred in the Discovery Channel show ?Storm Chasers,? died aboard a cruise ship passengers say was rife with drugs.

The 38-year-old reality star's cause of death remains unclear, but TMZ reports Taylor may have overdosed prior to being found unresponsive in his cabin Tuesday on a Royal Caribbean ship.

"It appears the death could be an overdose and Joel Taylor was consuming controlled substances," law enforcement sources told the gossip site.

Passengers aboard the Harmony of the Seas added that they witnessed Taylor taking drugs, including ecstasy and cocaine.

One cruise ship-goer said Taylor was knocked unconscious after consuming a large quantity of GHB, a central nervous system depressant date rape drug often used to treat sleep disorders, on the dance floor. The source said Taylor was removed from the floor by two friends who then took him to his cabin.

The boat, chartered by a private company, set sail Jan. 20 and was slated to return to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Saturday morning, according to The Blast. Law enforcement was called when the ship docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Taylor?s death, which was announced by his former co-star Reed Timmer on Tuesday, sent shock waves in the storm chasing community.

?RIP my best friend and storm chasing partner, Joel Taylor. I am shocked and absolutely devastated by the loss of my incredible, caring friend,? Timmer wrote on Twitter.

Actor who played Tinky Winky on 'Teletubbies' dead at 52
?We chased so many intense storms, and I wish we could have just one more storm chase. I'll miss you forever, Joel. We lost a legend,? Timmer added.

Taylor, who studied meteorology at the University of Oklahoma, went on to track tornadoes for the reality TV show as part of a team from the website TornadoVideos.Net.

The Elk City native?s storm chasing team issued a statement on Facebook calling Taylor an ?inspiration.?

?He didn?t chase for the glory he chased because he had a true passion for storms. In the last few years he?d load up with his dad and go chase and not even take a camera,? according to Team Western OK Chaser on Facebook.

Amber Kulick, who is studying meteorology in college, tweeted, ?I?m literally in tears right now I spent so much time watching storm chasers and that helped feed my want to be a meteorologist I can?t believe Joel Taylor is gone. RIP to one of the best.?

Another fan wrote, ? I met you and Reed only once, but that once was such a beautiful moment of my life. You both taught me so much and through your chases, I've learned how to read the skies, read the weather, and you both made me appreciate it more than I did before. My heart is heavy and it hurts.?

It's very rare that someone would die from taking GHB alone. It would not surprise me if alcohol was a factor as well.

Apparently GHB is a central nervous system depressant date rape drug often used to treat sleep disorders on the dance floor.

I doubt it was ghb alone. Probably a combination of drugs. Condolences to his loved ones

Yea but nobody would ever blame it on alcohol when you get a chance to demonize illegal drugs