• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diphenhydramine Low Dose (100-200mg) How Much Should I Worry About Torsade de Pointes (QT-elongation) using low doses of DPH?

memantine has a loooooong half-life. If you dose too high or dont like the effects, you are in it for days
Yeah, I read up on it already. One trip report said exactly that "DON'T redose!"

Thanks for reminding me though, it had slipped my mind. With something like Memantine, I'd take it like 2 or 3 times per week, theoretically. At least, that's more the idea.

I take Lyrica like that now, actually. I only get so much at a time, so it has me taking it once a week, waiting, then twice a week, repeat.

well if that guy did it then.... cmon
Lol!... Well, I'm just saying, it's quite common. Some people like to insinuate that nobody in their right mind would take DPH 2 consecutive days in a row. However, when one looks into it, it's quite common for some people to take it every day, and sometimes at much higher doses than what I'm suggesting here.

But, to be truthful, I haven't used it in a while. I've been alternating between this and that for several days.

Yeah, I read up on it already. One trip report said exactly that "DON'T redose!"

Thanks for reminding me though, it had slipped my mind. With something like Memantine, I'd take it like 2 or 3 times per week, theoretically. At least, that's more the idea.

I take Lyrica like that now, actually. I only get so much at a time, so it has me taking it once a week, waiting, then twice a week, repeat.
Honestly I like your style. You sound like you research shit first and respect the substance. Good on you, mate. :)

So that's my question. I've found low doses of DPH (100-200mg) to be therapeutic, not altogether unenjoyable, and perhaps useful for its SSRI effects as a mood stabilizer.

Using a dose of, say 200mg twice a day (morning and evening) as needed (i.e., not daily, but every few days), how much do I have to worry about QT-Elongation of heart rhythm, leading to Torsades de Pointes and heart failure?

I researched DPH a lot before ever taking it, and I'm surprised to see this information about Torsades de Pointes, I had neer seen it before in my research.

I was under the impression that people use Benadryl every day sometimes, whether for allergies, or for its deleriant effects, sometimes several times a week/month, and that it was generally safe, albeit unpleasant most of the time.

People sometimes use it a lot, right? At different doses. So, how much does one really have to worry about heart failure by using therapeutic doses that are rather low, between 100-200mg?

Can anyone elaborate on this? I'd like to be able to use it safely, but how dangerous is it really at those lower dose ranges?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

EDIT: I know DXM is better, and that's usually my go-to, but where I live it has become scarce. DPH, however, is widely available.
I was given IV diphenhydramine when I return to the hospital as a result of severe adverse effects from Zyprexa that included motor impairment continuous drooling and extreme difficulty speaking.

I unable to walk in a straight line my arms were bent at the elbow, w forearms jutting out and hands dangling like a dinosaur.

However Improvement came rapidly as I had stopped taking the drug roughly 24 hours before returning to the hospital I'd been discharged from 2 weeks estlier after a psychiatric hold for withdrawal psychosis. I remembered the familiar feeling of diphenhydramine was the first reassuring thing I had felt in a while. And while I never thought of it as recreational drug I used my fair share of it and did not like taking large doses so much so that I would even split 100 mg dose into two separate 50 mg doses spaced an hour apart to reduce the chances of feeling like I needed to jump out of my skin

One thing I have learned since then is that DPH shares some similarities with early generation antipsychotics. I asked the doctor or it was actually the nurse come to think before I was discharged the second time what the purpose of the IV DPH was and the answer I got was that it was administered during rapid cessation of antipsychotics mainly for its sedating property. I asked is there anything protective about it insofar as against tardive dyskinesia or such things. But she didn't know

Im pretty sure the reason for iv dph is the rapid anticholinergic effects that reverse the antidopaminergic side effects of antipsychotic drugs.

The difference from just sedation being if you had life threatening problems like instead of talking it was swallowing/breathing.

I believe it's called extrapyramidal symptoms .

Restlessness is also a symptom I think

@darvocet21 Thanks for sharing that story.

DPH is a weird drug, with strangely therapeutic effects at lower doses.

I must admit, recently (past month or so), I've been taking DPH more often, and in higher quantities than I mentioned here at first.

I've been alternating days between Lyrica and DPH, and what I've started doing is redosing a lot during the day.

I'll start with 200mg's, and then add 50-100mg's like an hour or two later. I'll consistently redose throughout the day, to try and maintain that sedation.

Worst part is, I *reeallllyy* don't want to get addicted to DPH, I'm trying to taper down.

Slow going, I feel like an absolute loser, I'm always hooking myself on something and needing to taper off. Shit.

@darvocet21 Thanks for sharing that story.

DPH is a weird drug, with strangely therapeutic effects at lower doses.

I must admit, recently (past month or so), I've been taking DPH more often, and in higher quantities than I mentioned here at first.

I've been alternating days between Lyrica and DPH, and what I've started doing is redosing a lot during the day.

I'll start with 200mg's, and then add 50-100mg's like an hour or two later. I'll consistently redose throughout the day, to try and maintain that sedation.

Worst part is, I *reeallllyy* don't want to get addicted to DPH, I'm trying to taper down.

Slow going, I feel like an absolute loser, I'm always hooking myself on something and needing to taper off. Shit.
What are the withdrawal symptoms that one can get with the Benadryl habit

When I stopped benadyrl in a similar dose and redosing to mayo tree after years (almost daily) I can't tell you from experience because I got cutt off all the drugs I was using daily.

But I assume it depends on dose

Lower doses as a antihistamine prob insomnia maybe anxiety

Higher doses as a mACh prob the opposite of anticholinergic syndrome so I am guessing excess salvia, nausea, more need for urination, faster bowel movements, pupil constriction, decreased heart rate

At super high doses im guessing maybe heart electrical changes from sodium channel and potassium herg? (Not sure not a heart doctor) channel

What are the withdrawal symptoms that one can get with the Benadryl habit
From what I've read online (such as this and this, for example), possible withdrawal symptoms could go so far as stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary edema.

Fun stuff, I know. Fortunately, it seems that actual "addiction" or "withdrawals" takes a long enough time to develop. Usually people present with these problems (or even the less "major" symptoms, like excessive drooling, and Delerium Tremens) only after abusing DPH for 1-3yrs consistently.

There was a Bluelighter who (on some thread floating around out there) said he took DPH every day for a year, in amounts varying between 60-600mgs. This person said that he stopped taking it rather abruptly, only tapering by taking 25mgs for three days, then stopping completely. They had zero withdrawal symptoms.

So, this tells me that problems probably start to manifest after using it consistently for more more than a year.

Of course, everyone's different, mileage may vary. In my case, I'm (usually) using every other day, and it has been a few months at this point. There are times when I take it 2 or 3 days in a row. It happens, but it's rare.

So far, I haven't experienced any withdrawal symptoms. Only problem I have is sometimes dealing with the effects of the drug, which can be mildly unpleasant at times, and/or triggering panic-attacks.

I know I have to stop.

That's a low dose?
I have hay fever, bad as a kid. I might have gotten up to 100mg a day in divided doses after taking it for weeks.

Yeah I also wouldn’t say 200mg is a low dose. Without tolerance 100 – 150mg is enough for most people if used as sleep-aid. To prevent itching from opiods even just 50mg is probably enough.