• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Dilaudid injection faux pas? Plz help

temporaryforever

Greenlighter
I have been using dilaudid via IV for several years and I have been running out of usable veins and recently (within the last week) have been injecting into the back of my hand, but last night I injected into the back of my left hand for the second time, into the vein that runs into the side of your wrist. The first time went perfectly but the second time, the needle went a little deeper but I still got the flash, so I proceeded. Something very bizarre happened and I am hoping someone can shed some light on what the actual f happened! I reacted quickly and took pictures so I will post those...so what happened is, as I injected the solution I felt a light tingling in my fingers but nothing serious, but by the time all the solution was in, my hand was on FIRE itching and stuff, then it immediately turned red and splotchy and my fingers were very tingly...as you will see in one of the pictures. after the red splotches disappeared after like a minute or so, big white patches of swelling appeared, as if I had missed and injected into the tissue, but I know I didn't miss because I got high, and the white swollen parts were all over my hand, down to my fingertips, and not in the area where I injected, So can anyone tell me what the hell happened?! Thanks guys.

PS. My hand went completely back to normal within ten minutes and I have no lasting effects from this, thank goodness,

Yikes. That must have been scary. I have never shot up but bear with me here. The fact that you got high means SOME of the solution went into your vein. I get that.

But couldn't some of the solution also gotten into your tissues? That splotchy skin that you can see means that there is something right underneath your skin. Like maybe some of the solution spread out into your tissues. That's why you can see it because it's so close to the surface.

You say you did this last night? What does it look like today? Is it still like that or did the solution reabsorb ?

I just read that your hand went completely back to normal after 10 minutes so forget what i wrote.

Thinking you just got a half and half. Half in the vein and half in the tissue but it reabsorbed within 10 minutes so it's all good.

Almost looks to be a mild allergic reaction but you being used to banging this substance I have no idea.
Maybe there was a contaminate in the shot that usually isnt there? IDK

I have hit in the same place before and when I say It got hot like fire 🔥 I’m not joking.I pulled out the rig so fast it hit the
Wall across the room. At the same time I made my feet and started pacing back-and-forth, shaking my head back and forth until the heat subsided.I believe it may be a nerve. Unfortunately I’ve been IV since the past seven years and I receive 20 Dilaudid 8 every day, so I have quite a bit experience and that is the only place on the body, that will give that sort of reaction

Never inject into your hands or wrists. The back of your hand is one of the worst places to inject. Even when you hit, which it sounds like you did, some of the solution will almost always spill out into your tissue and cause a reaction like you had or worse.

Find another location or stop injecting. It's not worth the risk.

^When I had a gastroscopy done they put the IV cannula on the back of my hand to give the pre-medication.

^When I had a gastroscopy done they put the IV cannula on the back of my hand to give the pre-medication.

It's different if it's a doctor doing it, they (hopefully) know what they are doing and they are using sterile solutions with no binders or fillers.

I guess I will amend my statement to read "Never inject pills or street drugs of unknown purity into your hands".