• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids (Dilaudid) IM to IV dosage conversion

Draginz

Greenlighter
Hello friends. I'm trying to figure out a safe but sufficient dosage for IV hydromorphone. I have a bit of tolerance but I have been exclusively been injecting this into my muscle. In typical fashion and for obvious reasons I want to try IVing this stuff. Now, in terms of tolerance, I inject around 7mg IM as the first dose of the day in order to achieve a nod. I worry that this dose would be dangerous IV because of the instant onset compared to the relatively delayed action from IM.
I was thinking of starting with 5mg IV. Do you think this is too much for my (not too crazy) tolerance level? Not really enough? I would of course prefer to get the sweet spot this first time and then resume IM use to prolong the life of my stash. I will be using alone so reversal will not be an option. Thank you.

I would go with perhaps a bit less, hard to say. Intravenous hydromorphone is reportedly quite abit stronger than other routes, including IM. Personally intravenous hydromorphone never really knocked my socks off, but there seems to be alot of variability in how people respond to intravenous hydromorphone (perhaps more so than any other common opioid), with some people finding IV hydromorphone to be very intense and satisfying, and others finding it less impressive (myself being in the second group). But assume you'll have a strong response so perhaps use a bit less.

I would go with perhaps a bit less, hard to say. Intravenous hydromorphone is reportedly quite abit stronger than other routes, including IM. Personally intravenous hydromorphone never really knocked my socks off, but there seems to be alot of variability in how people respond to intravenous hydromorphone (perhaps more so than any other common opioid), with some people finding IV hydromorphone to be very intense and satisfying, and others finding it less impressive (myself being in the second group). But assume you'll have a strong response so perhaps use a bit less.
Okay, better safe than sorry hey? I will try 4mg. I recall shooting 4mg dilaudid a couple years ago, but I did it in seperate shots, 2mg each about 15 minutes apart, because I was opiate niave, and I didn't feel I was in the danger zone during that time. I'm honestly not sure if I want to try this anymore. IM dilaudid has pretty good legs and I might be opening a door I can't so easily close, so why fix what ain't broke?
Thanks negro, you helped me out in my last thread as well, I appreciate you.

Edit: One other thing, I asked a HR nurse about the blood spurting issue, and it turns it was from blood filled cavitations forming around the injection bolus (a word I haven't heard since highschool). When injected into, this raised the pressure and caused the subsequent spurt of blood. I have been more careful about injecting less frequently and not into the same area and it hasn't happened in a while.

Last edited: