• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dihydrocodeine first time - uncomfortable reaction

byzkit

Greenlighter
I came across some dhc tartrate 30mg tablets and thought I'd take a few recreationally to see what it's like. Aside from a few rubbish CWE attempts (which have never worked for me), I've not done any opiates before.

I did a bunch of research first and decided 90mg was a good starting dose (I could always take more later). The problem is I felt very uncomfortable about 45 minutes after I took them. Not sick but restless, irritable and unable to focus on anything for more than 2 minutes. In a strange way it kind of felt like an allergic reaction (like when I eat raw onions). There was no relaxation, warmth or euphoria. About 4 hours after I took the pills I did get a little itchy, but it wasn't too bad. In the end I was very grateful when they wore off.

The next day I tried one 30mg pill as an experiment. I got the same uncomfortable sensations, but milder this time due to the lower dosage.

Is this a normal reaction for a first timer on opiates? I was expecting a chilled evening but instead it was a bit distressing.

Also, is it possible anti-histamines might help next time (I have loratadine and acrivastine for hayfever)? Not to potentiate, but to relieve the discomfort?

Honestly if 30 mg makes u feel gross id just quit. Not everyone finds opiates euphoric. Like some people would let u kick em in the nuts for some vodka. If I have eveb three shots I feel sick dizzyy cant focus and would summerize it . As generally unplesant. People are wired different

I believe this is a fairly normal reaction, dihydrocodeine is roughly equal to 1.5 / 2 x the strength of codeine although it is more short lived, therefore by taking 90mg of dihydrocodeine, you actually consumed equal to around 180mg of codeine which could be too high of a dose for a first time user. In fact, you may find that the first few times you use any opiate it will be an uncomfortable experience, and some people find that they simply don't sit right with them.

Becoming itchy is quite common, and antihistamines should help with that. Though if you don't enjoy the opiate experience, there is no point in consuming them.