• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Difficulty with Suboxone Induction

NoEasyDays

Greenlighter
I am currently using and trying to transition to Suboxone. According to my doctor I am using straight fentanyl. No opiates show up in urine or lab testing, only fent. I am a heavy user, anywhere from 1 to 6 buns a day.

So twice now I have tried to start subs. First time I waited 24 hrs. Took half a sub and had mild PWs. So I used again, and next time I waited over 30 hours. Took a half a sub again and had the worst PWs I have ever had in my life.

According to what I've read the half life of IV fent is only 2 to 4 hrs. After 30 hrs nothing should be on my receptors still, right?

I don't understand what is going on. I have never had PW before these two times, and I generally only wait like 12 hrs or so when I'm taking normal opiates. Both times I wasn't really THAT sick, just a LITTLE uncomfortable and figured each time it had been long enough.

Does anyone have any insight? Is 30 hrs somehow still not long enough?? I feel like that should be plenty even if I'm not that sick yet. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I guess my question is, has anyone heard of fent still being on your receptors at 30+ hrs. I know the guideline is always 'wait until you're sick' but holy cow. Going on two days you'd think that would be plenty

You sound very similar to me.

Who knows really what's in the dope if it's not tested? Maybe it it was cut with a long-acting opiod or it could've been a fentynal anologue that's made to be long acting. That's all I can think of.

The same thing happened to me 4 or 5 days ago. I waited 36hrs and went on to PW. Wtf. Like you, I usually wait 12hrs. The only conclusion I could come to was something longer-acting was in it.

You sound very similar to me.

Who knows really what's in the dope if it's not tested? Maybe it it was cut with a long-acting opiod or it could've been a fentynal anologue that's made to be long acting. That's all I can think of.

The same thing happened to me 4 or 5 days ago. I waited 36hrs and went on to PW. Wtf. Like you, I usually wait 12hrs. The only conclusion I could come to was something longer-acting was in it.

So were you able to get on subs or have you not given it another try yet? Any suggestions? Were you sick when you started or not really?

I guess the only thing to really do is wait until I'm actually sick. It's just so strange and foreign to me to wait over 2 days before taking a sub.

I am right with you... I had been on Suboxone for years.... ventured out to pills.... and can usually wait till I’m WD...and then take subs.... then terrible PW kick in.....I want to quit but I’m scared to take Subs..... hope your okay!

I am right with you... I had been on Suboxone for years.... ventured out to pills.... and can usually wait till I’m WD...and then take subs.... then terrible PW kick in.....I want to quit but I’m scared to take Subs..... hope your okay!
I just want to be done but don’t know how to get out now.....

Same happened when I tried sub. It's fuckin shit dude good luck I hope u r adjusting better I feel like it ogot easioer within 7 days approx

Hey NoEasyDays!

Sorry for the delayed response! Please, PM me anytime if you have any questions, etc.

Yes, I continued inducting. I've been stable on subs for about 6 or 7 days now. I kind of have to. Ive been on Subutex for a year near the end of this month. How are you? Did you continue?

Rayne - there's definitely a way out. ?❤️

Look into the Burmese method with micro dosing suboxone. I started a couple days ago with .5 suboxone with my regular methadone dose(24mg). Im at 1mg today of subs and i go up by .5 and when i get to 3mg i stop the methadone. And a week after that i start decreasing the subs.
Im only having very very mild withdrawal and im the type that curls on the floor dopesick.
I hope you find a way that works. I couldn't do the 3 days in withdrawal so this has been great

I see the Bernese method talked of quite often on here. It seems to work for many people but my disclaimer is if you get the dose even slightly wrong your in for a world of shit. I personally wouldn't risk it

I was able to get a bunch of 20s that I know are real... so I’m going to take those for a week then wait to go into withdrawals, and again try sub.... it’s never been an issue but I believe it’s the fact these pills I’m taking are Fentanyl pills... from what I have read there are more and more people having this happen

Lucy - that's awesome. Are you doing this through the clinic or a Dr?

cj- right? I'm still getting my apartment together from the pw incident

Rayne- I'm glad you got something to help. You can do this. If I can, anyone can. Try to prepare, if you can, for inducting. I take loperamide and DXM to help me get through it the 24hr waiting. If you can get some benzos, that's great too. As well as Neurotin or Lyrica. You really can do this. Hang in there. Good Luck!

Lucy - that's awesome. Are you doing this through the clinic or a Dr?

its a new thing so im the first group of Guinea pigs but hey if it helps get more data on the topic i don't mind.
You just have to stick to the schedule. Im at 1.5mg of suboxone now and I'm feeling fine.

Awesome! I'm glad you have guidance. I've read the studies, and it's very interesting.

Keep us posted on your progress in the study. I'm really interested in learning. Thanks so much Lucy. ❤️

I have the same issue which is why I just went cold turkey this time and that's it. Maybe it has something to do with kindling effect of always switching back and forth. I don't necessarily get PW but the sub doesn't really help much. Last time I waited 60 hours and took 4mg and I felt maybe %10 better and then it takes another week or two for the sub to start working correctly so this time I said fuck it and went cold. It was torture and cant remember the last time I went cold like that. I went cold off Xanax at the same time but got a nasty eye infection two weeks in so I had to sleep after two weeks of not sleeping at all. Xanax doesnt cause me as bada withdrawal as opiates so im ok with that for now. I personally never tried the Burmese method but have read lots of success stories about it .

totach -

Its either from switching back and forth often or having a high tolerance. On average, it takes 4-5 days until I stabilize again.

It varies in misery levels. I don't know what the variables are that make it that way. I've gone through miserable, difficult inductions, and just shitty inductions. It's never pleasant.

It's not too bad if I only mess up for a day or two. But, if I mess up for 4 or more days straight, it doesn't matter if it's 4 days or 20 days, it's difficult and unpleasant.

Congratulations on stopping! How long have you been off subs?

Yeah the switching back and forth many times over a period of a few years really makes the induction very difficult for those with a decent habit.

As far as the OP case. The only bet is now that you have the subs on your receptors I'd wait a little bit till the next time you feel onset withdrawal symptoms and take a small dose of bupe and go from there every few hours.

I have never really kicked subs on its own. I always wind up kicking dope and subs together. The longest I was on subs without relapsing for 4 months and 1 day of using took me a week to get stabilized on subs again and then wound up relapsing not long after. This last kick which was over 30 days ago( I don't count days , I learned that from NSA) when I count days its like an obsession and subconsciously I fuck up near milestones like 90 days etc.. . I did not take any sub this time it was just a straight dope(probably %99 fentanyl) Xanax kick.
It was brutal , didn't leave my friends house for 10-14 days . When I was finally able to move a little but I got a terrible eye infection so I started taking Xanax again for sleep.

I have a really weird relationship with benzos I don't and never have got any euphoria from them and ive never really ad anxiety issues but yet im still tempted to take it during the day sometimes eventho I don't get much if anything out of it . I can stop taking Xanax after months of daily use and suffer a day or two of rapid heart beat and insomnia. If I could find a non addictive supplement to put me to sleep I would drop the Xanax in a heartbeat and never look back. I have tried everything and nothing works from trazadone to Ambien . I am already a stoner so the blazing doesn't really help much.

I wish I didn't get that eye infection cuz im sure I would be getting a couple hours of sleep by now naturally but that was out of my control. I forgot what REM sleep and cool dreams feel like . I really miss that so my ultimate goal is to go to sleep naturally . I get my exercise in daily and eat pretty clean but 30 days clean is not much compared to 15 years of abuse. I realize that so I hope to start healing in the coming month or so .

Effect - The switching back and forth drives me crazy I feel like I'm honestly losing my shit sometimes. I have had full-blown panic attacks anticipating inducting.

It's really difficult when you're around someone else who isn't where you are mentally w wanting to stop. Bringing dope around you. You can't control anyone else. Very upsetting.

One night, at 3 or 4 in the morning, a few weeks ago, during a using spurt, I suddenly saw how horrible it all is. How dark. I had a panic attack, was pretty much hyperventilating, and had to go outside for air. It was horrible.

I hadn't taken my meds (gabapentin) for a few days, that help w my anxiety and panic attacks and phew. I don't know how I lived like that before.

That's the first time that happened to me. Seeing the "darkness" and evil of it. Just thinking about it is upsetting.

totach - the compulsion to do stuff we don't even like, but can't stop - I don't get it I guess it's part of the insanity of addiction. I'm trying to work on that myself.

When I get really stressed out, I inject my Subutex. Believe me, I know it's stupid. I need to figure out a way to cope when I'm overwhelmed.

My sub Dr., whose a psychiatrist, is an Asian woman in her late 60s or 70s, and I don't know if she understands me sometimes. I tell her I get overwhelmed sometimes. I'm not able to have a benzo Rx because I'm on Subutex. So she prescribed vistoral (sp?). It doesn't really help. Not like Xanax would.

She doesn't seem to care about what I'm saying. And my visits and Rxs cost a fortune. I need to find a therapist. Silly me, I thought talking to a psychiatrist about my issues might help lol.

We just have to keep trying. A little at a time to continue moving forward. Keep trying w your sleep. You'll get there. ❤️

I was able to get a bunch of 20s that I know are real... so I’m going to take those for a week then wait to go into withdrawals, and again try sub.... it’s never been an issue but I believe it’s the fact these pills I’m taking are Fentanyl pills... from what I have read there are more and more people having this happen

Did this work for you? I been snorting fent and I want to get back on suboxone but the PW scares the living shit out of me. My plan was to get some 30mg oxys to hold me over for a few days while the fent leaves my system. Then wait the normal time and take my suboxone again. So I wont have to deal with PW.