Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Differences between nicotine and heroin

opi8

Bluelighter
I was just thinking about this due to someone trying to argue that marijuana was fine because it came from a plant, but drugs like heroin are bad because of "the chemicals" used. 8)

What?
Nicotine: Alkaloid derived from the Solanaceae (Nightshade) plant
Nicotinic Receptor Agonist

Heroin: Alkaloid derived from the Papaver Somniferum (Opium Poppy)
Opiod Receptor Agonist

Side Effects
Nicotine: Stimulant. Increased blood pressure. Increased heart rate. Dependence.
Heroin: Depressant. Pain relief. Euphoria. Dependence.

Lethal Dose (For Naive Users)

Nicotine: 40 - 60mg (www.inchem.org/documents/pims/chemical/nicotine.htm#PartTitle:7. TOXICOLOGY)
Heroin: 75 - 375 mg (https://web.archive.org/web/2010021...or.us/lscheffler/ToxicSubstances in water.htm)

Addictive Properties
Nicotine: Very High
Heroin: Very High

Legal Status
Nicotine: Legal
Heroin: Illegal

I am also hungover and dehydrated, nearly out of smokes and long out of any kind of opiatey relief.

availability
nicotine: extremely
heroin: fair (at least once your in the scene)

harms of the ROI
nicotine: you have options (ecig -> cigars) so from relatively harmeless -> pretty destructive
heroin: once again theres a spectrum for heroin its (low dose sub -> high dose IV with dirty needles) so, small to fair harm -> very destructive

thats all i can add to your interesting OP right now, i appreciate the thread because ive made connections between the two drugs a lot myself and enjoy the dissection process of ideas

its pretty hard to say any drug is either fine or bad, because individuals are so subjective

I've heard it said in the past that nicotine is more addictive than heroin and if you shot up a small amount of pure nicotine you'd die? Any truth in that?

apparently if you get enough drops of pure nicotine with a good surface area onto bare skin, without the proper chemical lab equipment, you could quite well die

nicotine strength by weight is far superior to heroin from my understanding

apparently if you get enough drops of pure nicotine with a good surface area onto bare skin, without the proper chemical lab equipment, you could quite well die

nicotine strength by weight is far superior to heroin from my understanding

Even a diluted solution of nicotine can still be really dangerous. Stronger solutions need to be treated with respect and splash goggles/gloves/labcoat should be used in a well ventilated area.

The electronic cigarettes worry me a bit. AFAIK the 'e-juice' can't be sold with Nicotine in Australia, so people have to order in liquid nicotine from overseas and add themselves. Heaps of places selling it to people with not much experience working with substances like that...would be easy for someone to order 500mg/ml instead of 50mg/ml thinking it would save them money on shipping and last them forever. Lethal dose is around 40-50mg.

Surprised there's been no deaths, lots of the venders wouldn't have the best safety procedures and testing to mix and measure accurately. Pretty tiny mistake of missing a dilution and sending out stuff that's much more potent than what's on the label.

Would be good if they regulated it and you could get the 'e-juice' in chemists made up to the standards of our other pharmaceuticals.

Nicotine is used as a pesticide. Or at least it's in pesticides. Very corrosive to human skin, it burns like fire without flames apparently.

I'd be more than happy to let a pilot fly a plane I'm in after a cigarette break. Not so much after he smoked heroin off a foil.

^If the pilot was addicted to heroin and had been so for a long while, then I'd demand that he/she smoke (or otherwise use) heroin before the flight so that they would be in optimal piloting condition. Nothing more dangerous than someone going through physical withdrawal of something like an opiate, alcohol, or benzo and trying to operate 'heavy machinery'.

So it's the relative safety of a thing is circumstantial.

Just my 747 cents.....

We don't want the pilot nodding out during landing though

Oh that's good, we all have your best safety interests at heart here.
Have a couple of alcoholic beverages for me?
Attaboy, busty.

I've seen plenty of medical professionals who shouldn't have a license at all, let alone the damage that they cause.

I love stereotypes.
I wonder who has more (major or minor) traffic accidents, the tippler - or the "junkie"?

Both a pretty addictive and damaging.

That said, in terms of impairment, heroin far surpasses nicotine. You can be addicted to nicotine and function as well as you could were you never addicted to nicotine. Heroin, not so much.

Also, the withdrawals from heroin would be 100X worse than those from nicotine. I'll take being hungry and pissed off over being in extreme pain whilst shitting and puking everywhere any day of the week.

Also, the withdrawals from heroin would be 100X worse than those from nicotine. I'll take being hungry and pissed off over being in extreme pain whilst shitting and puking everywhere any day of the week.

Yeah, that;s what I meant about the pilot and their WDs... still laughing at the Dreamliner comment.. must be something wrong with me=D

The only thing worse for driving (and presumably piloting a plane)than opiate WDs is benzo WDs. I was stupid enough to consider driving while experiencing horrid phenaz WDs. More than consider, I got in the car and started down the street. Luckily, I turned around and came back very slowly, called my girlfriend and fessed up to being too wasted to come and pick her up. That was actually really hard for me to do, and it caused her significant bother. However, she's smart enough and caring enough that she wasn't annoyed but rather congratulated me on aborting the mission.

I've been a good driver for over fifteen years, driving without incident. I underestimated how badly impaired I was from the LACK of substances (this was three weeks into phenaz WDs - that's three weeks after last dose, to give you an idea of how long and severe it is), and it hit me when I was in the car and realised I couldn't do it. I'm a different person in the car; I take driving seriously because I know there's no margin for error. Driving fuck ups range from horribly expensive for your bank account, to ... just life ruining. I've been a passenger in an accident where I was lucky to get nothing more than a slight concussion, and the driver the same. The car was a write-off.

The other driver was OK as well, and also to blame, but really it was just an accident caused by poor visibility due to parked cars near an intersection. There wasn't any speeding or alcohol involved. That;s what I mean about driving, it's not even enough to take care of yourself. You need to be alert enough to factor in other people's errors.

Don't drive or pilot Dreamliners while you are impaired - either on a substance or withdrawing from one. Maybe a rowboat on a lake you can get away with.... those things are fucking hard work if you're out of shape...

(sorry for off topic stuff)

You have to be addicted to nicotine to get any enjoyment out of it.

Its pseudo-enjoyment. After an hour or so WD are kicking in and a ciggy feels good.

If you don't smoke, you permanently feel the same as a smoker who has just had a smoke.