• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines did hippies take shrooms?

Everyone who followed this thread through to the end is cordially invited to a get-together. Chocolate mescaline will be served followed by psilocybe mushrooms lovingly preserved since their seizure from canadian students in 1965 ;)

Well as long as those AET and MDMA-eating hippies stay out I'm down

Actually, not one to beat up dead horses, but turns out people had assayed MDMA before Shulgin, even in the 60s*. Here's the respective passage of PiHKAL that makes me think so:

*This part is not exactly clear to me, but the chapter starts with some talking about a conference in 1967
PiHKAL said:
While Noel [Chestnut] was wandering the world on lecture tours and occasional sabbatical leaves, he appointed me a sort of surrogate "daddy-in residence," for his graduate students at the University of California in San Francisco. One of these was a dear, dear sprite appropriately named Merrie Kleinman, who told me she had done an experiment with two close friends of hers, and that they had used 100 milligrams of N-Methylated MDA (MDMA). She shared very little about the experience, but implied that it was quite emotional, and that there had been a basically good reaction from all three of them.

I can't believe that someone synthesized it, tried it and then to never try it again nor share the information with anyone else than Shulgin. Sure, not mainstream or even underground use, but the sort of background-RC-scene this implies was what I was aiming at with my initial post that got called out.

Another inaccuracy in that discussion was that he hadn't synthesized MDMA during his research on MMDA. He actually did back at Dow in 1965 according to the paragraph right below the cited one, but he didn't try it.

Again, not one to beat up dead horses, but I like to be right. I like to be right all the time

People in the 60s did take psychedelic mushrooms, and knew about how they can grow naturally in cow pastures in certain regions of the United States.

They also knew about morning glory seeds.

Last edited:
Hell yeah, they did it all in the 60s. Free Love, sex all day, everyone had Sandoz LSD, Marajanna was so good joints dripped resin, $5 a lid.
The old guys in the sauna tell me stories, lol

I do know a few of old hippies in the Nth west US that pick liberty caps, not sure how long they have been doing it. Once in a while they will give me a handful, they look crazy because their is like 100 little shrooms in one handful.

Late input, but whatever.

Hippies are still around. Why would anyone say otherwise? Music festivals still go, the party is still here. You just have to look.

As for the mushrooms bit, yes. I had a 40+ year old family bong in my possession with mushroom marbles. They knew very well about the psychedelic goombas.

Yes 1960's "hippie", synthesized was the most available form in the early 60's. Leary & his Harvard friends had bottles of em. Ram Dass speaks highly of them as having been the turning point of his life, more so than LSD (thus most of ours, hippie lovin' or nay). Even Maria Sabina was given some.
By 1970, mushrooms were well known in Vancouver/UBC students (hippies? Maybe I guess...lol. a few Cartmens about? lol.), as 20+ strains grow here in the Pacific NW, as far north as Haida Gwaii which is seasonally is loaded with em. The answer if "hippies" took them is: they did, but later.

**TM thought Europe was a dead zone for many psychedelics yet uncovered that psilocybe mushrooms were vastly present. As he found out, there was a mico-phobia in the region, especially the English as toad stools were never considered mushrooms by proper people, a mushroom was the little white "button" one's you see in the market were the only one's eaten by most. But let's face it: elves, fairies, and the Gaelic mythology shows for near certain, that this was in fact the case in all likely-hood for some extended period at least as early as the Gothic era.

** Related: Psychedelic Truffles also grow throughout northern Europe & pack powerful psychedelic effect. Shrooms seem to have bigger medieval influence in central/eastern Europe. Shrooms were legal for about 3 years from 80-83 in Canada. What a great legal case.

Hell yeah, they did it all in the 60s. Free Love, sex all day, everyone had Sandoz LSD, Marajanna was so good joints dripped resin, $5 a lid.
The old guys in the sauna tell me stories, lol

I do know a few of old hippies in the Nth west US that pick liberty caps, not sure how long they have been doing it. Once in a while they will give me a handful, they look crazy because their is like 100 little shrooms in one handful.

* Indeed: Liberty caps are believed to have been transplanted from Europe by cattle, brought over as they grow easily in the NW climate & in grazing fields, not needing trees, mulch/woodchips to thrive. I like em, as the jelly like "contact lens" in the cap, I find is a great easy way to ID, for me at least. YVR was a picking haven for years, until they've done their best to set up blockades/traffic no stopping areas along these fruitful fields...

Yeah but he's saying they mixed it with chocolate pudding mix and then put it in a capsule. If you're putting it in a capsule what's the point in adding pudding to it? You arn't going to taste it anyway.

Ya, my thought too...as "dosage" was said not to be the issue but "edibility". Makes me think the capsules were in fact to assist to quantify it. (to avoid the taste of the pudding? Nah.) Used to get bags of molded chocolate shrooms, which seems to me handle all issues best, including disguise/long storage.

yeh 70's they blew-up i think the argument / debate is mostly in regards to people eating them in the 60's. :)

i agree kevin. i just dont believe indigenous people didnt know about psychedelic and for that matter poisonous fungus.

my old man did mushrooms in late 60s on a surf trip up to the gold coast. he turned the locals onto lsd (pink dots) and in return the locals showed him psilocybe on cow pats.

Coprophilic mushrooms for LSD ....fair out trade! TM examined the issue of NW 1st Nations seemingly unaware of psilocybe shrooms, at least as contact was made, although the artwork, seems pretty far out. There was a Peyote trade, from southern tribes to very far north, although I am looking for info as to whether this was more common/restricted to plains east of the Rockies, & is so for what reasons?...trade routes? I find the psilocybe issue fascinating as 20 strains were present. Today Peyote/Ayahuasca trade does extend right to the west coast. At contact, canoe trade existed among NW tribes, but as far as Peyote then...I'm still digging.

I think it was mainly LSD - depending on when your talking about pilgrimages out to mexico begain (hippies arguably cover several decades) - also some MDA went around and DOM and a few other but really mainly acid - heard tell of edible mushrooms treated with acid. Mushrooms came a little later - big scene in Canada.As for hippies prefering mushrooms - one could argue they shouldn’t have liked speed. hippies aren’t a homogenous whole - some of the back to nature sorts may well have but I don’t personally think shrooms have quite had the power to have catalysed the 60’s as it was but could be wrong based on my rated LSD highly and mushrooms much less so. Just my opinion - probably pointless to debate taste/preference.

Shrooms were legal for about 3 years from 80-83 in Canada. What a great legal case.

Shrooms were legal in the UK from 2004-2007 too. They were legal fresh but became class A when dried. The Labour government then made them class A in any form - so nature is now against the law.

It was a great time - inspired a new summer of love and there were thousands of kilos being sold a week. People were having the greatest times of their lives. Magic few years.

I know they took acid for sure, but I would be surprised if they didn't eat shrooms.

I know they took acid for sure, but I would be surprised if they didn't eat shrooms.

I'm sure they were around but I don't think they're use was anywhere near as widespread as LSD, in the 60's at least.
I would believe that the use of psychedelic mushrooms during American history was concentrated mainly in northern Pacific coastal regions where they grow naturally.
They likely grow naturally in the Rhode Island area as well

I know old hippies now that eat "shrooms" and at many gatherings/festivals(jam band oriented/dead/phish/allmans/)I go to many of the "old hippies" are just munching away on mushies.

In fact when I talk to these old hippies a lot of them seem to prefer mushrooms over acid nowadays because they are afraid of getting dirty shit and they know what mushrooms look like. Once I try and educate them that you have to test your shit nowadays they say it's too much of a hassle. I always leave behind few for free and assure them it's good ol family stuff as take it if they would like..... They always do lol

I'm sure they were around but I don't think they're use was anywhere near as widespread as LSD, in the 60's at least.
I would believe that the use of psychedelic mushrooms during American history was concentrated mainly in northern Pacific coastal regions where they grow naturally.
They likely grow naturally in the Rhode Island area as well

I have picked psiolocybe cubensis and panelous cyanscens in texas in friggin october,november, and maybe even december. Something is always kickin around here.

What is it about psychedelics hippies want?

Substances that help remove filters and let you see things apart from how you've always seen them for a while. With the intention of freeing your mind from its instilled programming and being the way that works best for you. Same reason they used to be used and considered extremely valuable and exciting in professional psychotherapy, before rampant self-experimentation caused a public panic and they were illegalized and demonized.