4DQSAR
Bluelighter
- Joined
- Feb 3, 2025
- Messages
- 6,034
If you can get by by using Meprobamate (Prodrug of carisoprodol)
Meprobramate is a really dangerous old-fashioned sedative BUT the thing that kept the stuff in use was the fact that it isn't as active as a hypnotic.
The issue is that while the prodrug you mention has a relatively short half-life of 1-2 hours, the active has a half-live of 11-17 hours i.e. it WILL produce a hangover and will accumulate. Add to that the fact that metabolism is CYP2C19 mediated means that genetic variability makes those times merely an estimate and given how old it is, I would treat any figures with a pinch of salt which is to say it's a certain bad idea on several obvious levels and that uncertanity figures arrived at 70 odd years ago are subject to adds an extra level of uncertainty.
I cannot see a clinician prescribing a patient what is after all supposed to be a skeletal muscle relaxant to abate the AWS of a Z-drug.
I don't think the psychiatrist is insane for thinking diazepam is appropriate - merely lacking experience of treatment and almost certainly no understanding of how Z-drugs work beyond knowing that first-line treatment ALWAYS seems to be diazepam. Because it's so safe. I've stated so many times that I'm not fan of nitrobenzodiazepines but I admit to being a little surprised that it would seem clinicians are now shy of them.
If a patient takes their entire diazepam prescription, the very worst outcome is the patient being spark out for a long time but nitrobenzodiazepines are not as forgiving. I'm just guessing as nitrazepam and clonazepam used to be use to treat clients who were gobbling Z-drugs every few hours day an night. We would put them on a blue prescription (daily pickup) so in theory at least they would never have enough of the stuff to harm themselves.
I don't think the OP is in that catagory but it's a sad truth that clinicians (and indeed HR workers) soon learn that the patient/client who tells the full story on day one is pretty much a zebra.
Last edited:
