• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

    Welcome Guest!

  • Words Moderators: Shambles

Dialect Words

Shambles

Moderator: CEPS, EADD; MD; Words
Staff member
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
58,795
Location
A Pottering Shed Somewhere in the Scotchland
So I was gonna post a word of n my Teach Me New Words thread but decided this would work better as its own topic…

Teach Me New Dialect Words!!!

I’ll start with one I just discovered t’other day…

keech​

kiːx
noun informal

1. excrement.
2. rubbish.

Basically Scots for shite. What are some words from your local dialect - doesn’t have to be English!
 
Yorkshire

Gennel: a narrow passage or back alley between houses

iu
 
Huevón: Spanish slang for a lazy person
It literally means " big egg" ( huevo= egg), but huevos are also slang for testicles.
The idea of huevon meaning lazy is that your balls are so big that it hurts to drag them around and do anything much at all.
Huevon is the male version, but a lazy woman is a huevona, or literally a woman with big balls.
I believe this is common all over Latin America, but I doubt Spain. A Colombian woman explained to me how it meant lazy
 
Huevón: Spanish slang for a lazy person
It literally means " big egg" ( huevo= egg), but huevos are also slang for testicles.
The idea of huevon meaning lazy is that your balls are so big that it hurts to drag them around and do anything much at all.
Huevon is the male version, but a lazy woman is a huevona, or literally a woman with big balls.
I believe this is common all over Latin America, but I doubt Spain. A Colombian woman explained to me how it meant lazy
heard of "Chingona" before?
 
Mush / Chavvy (From Roma Gypsy Chavo which means an unmarried Roma boy or male)
West Midlands / Black Country which means anyone who is Male & a friend, can also be used if you don't know the person as in "Oi Mush" which is usually shouted at people in the street.
 
Huevón: Spanish slang for a lazy person
It literally means " big egg" ( huevo= egg), but huevos are also slang for testicles.
The idea of huevon meaning lazy is that your balls are so big that it hurts to drag them around and do anything much at all.
Huevon is the male version, but a lazy woman is a huevona, or literally a woman with big balls.
I believe this is common all over Latin America, but I doubt Spain. A Colombian woman explained to me how it meant lazy
tu puta madre is another term I learned from Mexican people.
 
If you are going to use UK slang, this could end being one of the longest BL threads ever. And one of the most interesting and funny.
Honestly at times it amazes me that English speakers can understand each other. In the UK If you stay within 10 miles of where you were born you're fine, but start to venture out further a field and very quickly the dialect changes quite a lot, different areas in the UK can have real trouble understand each other. Now move to a different country and we almost speak different languages at times!

New entry
Mardy

adjective

Sulky or whining. Non-co-operative, bad tempered or terse in communication.

Epic song for you, listen to the lyrcis, this song always makes me feel very home sick

 
Honestly at times it amazes me that English speakers can understand each other. In the UK If you stay within 10 miles of where you were born you're fine, but start to venture out further a field and very quickly the dialect changes quite a lot, different areas in the UK can have real trouble understand each other. Now move to a different country and we almost speak different languages at times!

New entry
Mardy

adjective

Sulky or whining. Non-co-operative, bad tempered or terse in communication.

Epic song for you, listen to the lyrcis, this song always makes me feel very home sick


I am actually fascinated by all the interesting UK slang. I have been told about all the regional( small areas actually) accents and slang terms in the UK.

It fascinates me that there can be so many accents and different slang, along with the slang that all the UK citizens, more or less Understand.

This is especially interesting considering that the UK; according to A.I., is 3% smaller than the state of Michigan.

I have seen UK movies and movie clips, where I had no idea what was being said.

Then again, if go to America and go deep into Louisiana, a thick swamp Billy cajun accent is basically gibberish. Ozzy Osborne was easier for me to understand then them.

I suppose there is a lot of different slang terms in the poorer urban areas; in different regions of America.

But, I actually like the creativity and unique slang of the different areas of the UK.

I remember in College( University) there was a group of British students who were at my College ( University). They were there spending a semester studying abroad.

Anyways, I hungout at some of the same bars as they did.( I hung out at alot of bars and knew when and where there was great deals on pitchers, and the various hours that were considered happy hour.( always 2 hours or sometimes 4 hours).

Anyways I noticed that they spoke to each other differently, than they did to me and the other Americans,lol.

Suddenly they were more or less speaking American English, with a British accent. They would use terms and phrases I couldn't understand; when talking amongst themselves, lol.
 
Top