DHEA in adolescent

cicicicico

Greenlighter
Hi,
I've recently discontinued my use of opiates and thought DHEA may aid in the withdraw process. Without reading much about it, other than it was a pro hormone and may aid in my fatigue and low libido, I decided to use it. I've been taking 75mg a day (I realize this is high and dumb) for about three weeks now. I've been reading about the adverse affect with people my age and am concerned I may have done serious damage to my adrenals because of the down regulation of my body's natural DHEA production. Will this be reversed or am I looking at serious long term effects from this?

It should be noted that I am a 19 year old male and have recently started to notice side effects from the DHEA including pungent underarm odor and itchy scalp. Of course I have stopped using this product.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Hi,
I've recently discontinued my use of opiates and thought DHEA may aid in the withdraw process. Without reading much about it, other than it was a pro hormone and may aid in my fatigue and low libido, I decided to use it. I've been taking 75mg a day (I realize this is high and dumb) for about three weeks now. I've been reading about the adverse affect with people my age and am concerned I may have done serious damage to my adrenals because of the down regulation of my body's natural DHEA production. Will this be reversed or am I looking at serious long term effects from this?

It should be noted that I am a 19 year old male and have recently started to notice side effects from the DHEA including pungent underarm odor and itchy scalp. Of course I have stopped using this product.

In men with adrenal insufficiency and hypogonadism without androgen replacement, and thus total androgen depletion (which may have been the case due to opiate use), DHEA administration results in a significant increase in circulating androgens, although it is still far from achieving normal male serum concentrations. This suggest that DHEA administration causes androgenic and estrogenic effects and in women and men, respectively. However, circulating sex steroids do not correctly reflect the intracrine, tissue-specific action of DHEA...

I'm unsure as to your time spent on opiates, obviously this could reflect significantly upon your HPTA returning to normal functioning after cessation... The side effects you mentioned could have been due to increase in androgen levels..

Obviously blood tests would be prudent, and any subsequent action would follow thereafter....

The primary benefit of DHEA is that it is a precursor for Human Growth hormone and the sex hormones. That means if you are low in these hormones, DHEA provides the building blocks the body needs to produce those hormones. Beyond that, the most common noticeable benefits are more energy, easier to maintain muscle tone as you age, easier to lose and/or maintain better weight. There are other benefits, but those are the biggies.

I'm about ten years older than he is and trying to lean out. I've been lifting and running, plus 50 push ups a day- nothing compared to what many here do, I'm sure, but at 6 foot, I went from 263 down to 208 in six months. I still have a ways to go, and I'm getting impatient, so I went on dexedrine to reduce appetite and speed up the process, surprisingly, to me, after a week I've had zero loss! Wtf.

I was considering trying DHEA, but I always though it was placebo since it was sold at the local supermarket. Reading here makes me question that assumption.

Had my t levels checked a year ago and they were good, would this help raise them or not given that they are already normal? I want to get down to 180, or 12 percent body fat, whatever that works out to, and I'm looking for the best supps to help me get there. I did most of the hard work wo any aids, but these last 25lbs don't want to leave.

Be careful about 2 things, 1) sexual life and 2) Permanently damaging your heart.

I'm about ten years older than he is and trying to lean out. I've been lifting and running, plus 50 push ups a day- nothing compared to what many here do, I'm sure, but at 6 foot, I went from 263 down to 208 in six months. I still have a ways to go, and I'm getting impatient, so I went on dexedrine to reduce appetite and speed up the process, surprisingly, to me, after a week I've had zero loss! Wtf.

I was considering trying DHEA, but I always though it was placebo since it was sold at the local supermarket. Reading here makes me question that assumption.

Had my t levels checked a year ago and they were good, would this help raise them or not given that they are already normal? I want to get down to 180, or 12 percent body fat, whatever that works out to, and I'm looking for the best supps to help me get there. I did most of the hard work wo any aids, but these last 25lbs don't want to leave.

Very good results well done.
Try an eca stack or clenbuterol run.

Get t levels checked.

Hi There Hammilton and welcome to SD.. I've heard of DHEA being used in women after hysterectomy, as a male with normal testosterone production, I would avoid...
Your weightloss so far has been astounding, I personally wouldn't use dexedrine, but would continue on a similar path as it is obviously working well.. You may need to fine tune your diet further to lose that stubborn fat...
I'd suggest tracking calories by weighing each portion of food, using an online calculator to determine precisely your MACRO numbers (protein-carbs-fats) to give you a total number of calories for the day, this number should be consistent each day, over the course of each week measure weight loss, if after a week the downward trend has stopped lower calories more by reducing the amounts of each food until you obtain a downward trend again... (very similar to what a bodybuilder would do pre-comp)..!!
Maybe exercise more, or do 5 mins high intensity cardio followed by 30-40 mins low/medium cardio, this HIT cardio releases fat lipids into the bloodstream to be used during the low/medium phase.. (3-4 times a week)..
Or/and introduce a compound lifting regime into your exercise program targeting your largest muscle groups (legs, back) 2-3 times a week, (a heavy weights session speeds up the bodies metabolism for up to 36-48 hours after cessation, normal cardio might work for about 1 hour after cessation... (huge difference)..
Consistency is the key, you've done great so far, keep it up.. time for the next level..!! Goodluck..!!

100mg per day is not a high dosage, 400mg per day was used on HIV subjects with a positive effect. Androstenolone is also used as the progenitor for several other synthetic hormone drugs, e.g. finasteride, dutas, estrone, estradiol, stanozolol, dianabol, methyltestosterone, methandriol etc, not to mention homosterone.

Hi,

I took DHEA for awhile and felt great. Less depressed and lethargic. More motivated and energetic. Lost some weight.

There are a bunch of studies though about DHEA having a huge effect on anxiety as well. This is because cortisol is released when you are stressed. This lowers testosterone. DHEA is essentially the opposite and lowers cortisol levels.
http://www.positivearticles.com/Article/Anxiety-Depression-Treatment-with-DHEA/15315