• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Detoxing as quickly as possible and Rapid Detox Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opicid

Ex-Bluelighter
I started using H for about 3 months.
I'm starting Detoxing today and want to be able to function and be over the flashes, leg shaking, etc in about 3 days.

Next week is an important week in my studies, so I need to be clean.

Is there any tips on detoxing as quick as possible? I'm think about buying detox kits and drinking alot of water, and turn my bathroom into a sauna.

You could do certain things to help with the symptoms. Nothing short of an antagonist will speed it up, but you can certainly make it much more bearable.

Immodium, clonidine, and some benzos(think longer half-life) will help out a lot. As will eating normally and keeping hydrated.

Here's a detox recipe that I edited to greater suite my needs. It's called the Thomas recipe for opiate detox. My recipe uses a few RX drugs that are relatively easy to get from your doc along with some OTC meds.

The original recipe uses almost all OTC products.

Anyway, hope this helps.

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE REVISED. (by Akomplice/"Thomas".)

I Edited Thomas' Recipe. So it's half his half mine. I had to give credit where credit is do.

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Lomotil (Diphenoxylate & Atropine). Ask your doctor for a prescription, tell him you have the runs.

2B. If you CAN'T get lomotil, immodium AD caplets and liduid.

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

7. Clonidine ( Catapres). Patches and pills are best. But if you can only get one, pills. Clonidine is for high blood pressure and high blood pressure is the cause of many of the withdrawl symptoms. Cold sweats, leg cramps, shakes, ect.. It really does more to ease withdrawl symptoms than you'd think. It's a must.

It's also a good idea to have someone take your blood pressure regularly, but at best you should take your pulse regularly.

8. Bentyl (Dicyclomine)- For stomach cramps/pain. Helps a lot.

9. Some kind of NSAID, some reccommend Naproxin Sodium or Ibuprofen. (Advil or Aleve. It's better to get prescription strength 800mg Ibuprofen or Naproxin but OTC will work.

10. Kaopectate (bismuth subsalicylate)- For the diarrhoea but mostly for the nausea.

10B. Now if you can get promethazine (Phenergan) it is an RX antiemetic or anti nausea med. It also causes sedation so be careful when mixing it with benzos.

11. Candy, Chocolate. - Sugar/Chocolate has shown to have some of the same properties of heroin. It releases endorphins that are natural opiates. The same can be said for exercising. If you can force yourself to exercise you will feel much better for a couple hours afterwards. More on this later..

12. Tons of WATER. Gatoraid too, you absolutely HAVE to stay hydrated. You'll feel better, cause all that puking and shitting and sweating dehydrates you and only compounds the shittiness you'll be going through.

13. Carnation Instant Breakfasts/ Ensures. - This is also a must, your wont be doing too much "heathly" eating while detoxing so drinking some ensures or carnation instant breakfasts will help you keep nutrients and "food" in your body.

14. Movies, Video Games And Books. Stay occupied, stay off bluelight as someone said.

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food/Meal Replacement Drink. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo), Lomotil, Clonidine, Bentyl, NSAID, Kaopectate.

Take everything as directed, or as needed. But DO NOT OVER DO IT to try to get fucked up. If you use this recipe right it will help you get though withdrawl comfortabley and even might make it painlessly.

Start with a dose of the benzo high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

After the first day, take small doses of bezo during the day to stop anxiety and other symptoms and use reg doses to sleep.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Lomotil/Imodium to stop the runs. Take the Kaopectate to stop nausea Take as needed, but don't over do it because you wont need a handfull of pills, it works great. Also there is atropine in it to deter abuse. But the amount of atropine in it is 0.025, A dose of 2mgs of atropine is when the bad effects start.. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption.

Wait about one hour before eating/drinking breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

And the rest is self explanatory.

This concludes the new revised "Thomas Recipe For Opiate Detox".

Thank you and take care

Peace,

Akomplice

well i suppose the above post just about states anything you'll ever need, quickest way is always cold turkey, and later on you learn to almost appreciate cold turkey as an accomplishment in recovery!

I've seen ads in the newspaper for rapid detox. Basically its a naloxone injection under general anesthesia for 24 hours. When you wake up you're completely detoxed.

Other options are suboxone, or a vicodin taper.Bootybump vicodin (enough to get you a little buzzed) for 3 days or so (thats how long it took me) and you'll be able to get through it A LOT easier. PM me for details.

friends brother did that ^^^^

Still thought about H everday and couldn't sleep for awhile either afterwards.

I would definitely go cold turkey, i know its all relative but three months ain't that long.
Still its sure enough to cause some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Cold turkey is the fastest way to get detoxed, its unpleasant the first days but quickly gets better and better but to get rid of all those physical symptoms
in just 3 days... i wouldn't think so.

The guide Akomplice wrote down is good, read it before.
The most important is to try and force down food, minerals etc. and a lot of water, then ride out the storm!
I am addicted to opiates, mainly heroin. Last time i detoxed i had been on for about 1½ year also my daily benso habit of ~2-8mg clonazepam + ~4mg alprazolam.
I have always preferred CT, its a mental agony to taper for me. I want it over as fast as i can, the withdrawals i can take so CT i went.

On my WD's my daily intake in most cases are the following:
Sandwiches/soup, vitamines/minerals/electrolytes, ALOT of water, naproxen/ibuprofen (for back & joint pain) Immodium (for diarreah) & tobacco.
It took me about 2-3 weeks before i started feeling better the last time, didn't sleep many hours those weeks, i don't even know if you can call it "sleep".
It had a lot to do with me also cutting of the bensos CT at the same time.

And as the guide states, hot baths or showers eases the physical pain a great deal. I would lie in the shower for hours. He he.
Stay strong mate!

There are different kinds of Rapid Detox. One is anasthesia assisted detox (depending on the protocol, you either go under general anasthesia for 30 minutes - 8 hours), while you are under you are injected with Naltrexone.

Another is Sedation Assisted Rapid Detox, where you are heavily sedated with IV Benzodiazepines (Midazolam) and then injected with Naltrexone.

However, both of these require an appointment, pre-treatment, etc. You can't walk in today and expect to be treated.

Cold turkey is the only option. But 3 days is the peak of acute withdrawal for most Heroin addicts. Days 5 and 6 are when relief start to appear, day 10 is when you can eat normally and start to sleep at least on and off. It is naive to think you will be fine in 3 days.

Akomplice said:
11. Candy, Chocolate. - Sugar/Chocolate has shown to have some of the same properties of heroin. It releases endorphins that are natural opiates. The same can be said for exercising. If you can force yourself to exercise you will feel much better for a couple hours afterwards. More on this later..

Well, they release low levels of endorphins, nothing that can compare to H obviously. But I'm wondering if anyone else here who has been through WD finds that they get less pleasure out of eating?

Re: rapid detoxes
Rapid detoxes are pretty crappy imo. They're risky, and you'll still have a good tolerance when you wake up. And I highly doubt that you'll be up and running as soon as you wake up...

Re: rapid detoxes
Rapid detoxes are pretty crappy imo. They're risky, and you'll still have a good tolerance when you wake up. And I highly doubt that you'll be up and running as soon as you wake up...

Actually it's the opposite. Naltrexone reduces tolerance to less than nothing. Antagonist therapy sensitizes opioid receptors; small amounts of opioids following rapid detox or Vivitrol depot injections or oral Naltrexone maintenance can lead to an OD much easier than they would normally.

Nah, afaik, only uld naloxone has been shown to slow down tolerance. I'd be interested to read about naloxone and naltrexone reversing tolerance at high doses...

But I'm wondering if anyone else here who has been through WD finds that they get less pleasure out of eating?

I would think a lot of people get that. I have a fairly small addiction compared to a lot of people on here, and I don't get so sick from WD that I vomit, but food certainly doesn't take on the amount of appeal that it does when not WDing. And then after I eat, I don't really feel any better just less hungry.

When I'm high or merely mantained on an opiate so that I'm not WDing I really like to eat, then follow with a ciggy afterwards.

3 months of dope addiction is not a small habit, IMO.

I would say that the only way you would be in decent shape in time for your difficult studies is if u do a quick suboxone taper. You wouldn't feel the w/d and you could function normally. Otherwise be ready for days of hellish w/d and then weeks of depression afterward. Just my experience.

Cold turkey is the only option. But 3 days is the peak of acute withdrawal for most Heroin addicts. Days 5 and 6 are when relief start to appear, day 10 is when you can eat normally and start to sleep at least on and off. It is naive to think you will be fine in 3 days.

I think you're making it out to be worse than it is.

If the OP hasn't used more than those 3 months, he'll feel better a lot quicker.

If he smokes weed at all and gets even some light exercise after the first 4 days are over, he could probably be eating normally after a week and maybe even sleeping more normally or at least for a few hours at a time.

After 4 days a lot of the physical stuff should be over.

Sometimes there are too many options. Like many here, I've tried/been Rx’d everything and anything to help with the WD's, and lots of things do help. Out of everything, only one non-opioid helps me now want to use though, and that's baclofen. But I've scraped it all in favor of this new approach which I find to deliver the greatest bang for the effort and pain. Keep in mind, reversing tolerance a bit is a necessity if you want to enjoy a real nod (and not just feel mild effects/take to keep from getting sick), which (IMO, is a huge waste of drugs). OK, nuff said...instead of all the anti convulsants, sedatives, etc, this is what works best. I have an Rx for Revia (Naltrexone HCL, 50mg tabs), and I take roughly 1/10th of one tablet (5mg) on an EMPTY stomach about 30 minutes after dosing ~60-90mg temazepam. Temazepam is sneaky, because it is the one benzo which totally sneaks up on you (you don't feel it coming), and BOOM, next thing you know, you are awake (after having slept a number of hours). This is sort of like the expensive drug assisted WD, lite. The aim here isn't to completely reduce tolerance, rather, the goal is to modestly reduce tolerance in a very sedated state. Empty stomach just to make sure you don't puke (and inhale the puke), but that is another reason for the modest benzos, and modest naltrexone (you DON'T want to hugely initiate WD and induce puking, and you DON'T want to be so heavily sedated that, if you WERE to puke, you wouldn't be able to wake up and fight it).

The results: generally equivalent to going 2 days without any drugs (modest tolerance reduction) once you wake up, and relatively painlessly. Oh there’s one other thing: I set the alarm for 7 hours from the time I take the naltrexone, and have a very modest dose opioid of choice (oral) and some aminos available by bed. Once alarm goes off, I swallow that, and continue to snooze. Once I do wake up (about 90 minutes later), the opioid/aminos have kicked in, and erased the hangover which is there at the 7 hour mark. Yes, it is possible to cheat the piper, but you can’t get greedy. Also, long term, you probably have to pay the piper in other ways as well (the shear cost of the drugs, etc).

If anyone knows of a better way, let us know!

This thread is great! This is exactly the sort of thing I need.

I want to tell my doctor that I want to come off of suboxone on monday, I know bupe WD is not nearly as bad as acute heroin withdrawal, but are there any meds/supplements that can help with that?

I am thinking of taking some st john's wort for the depression, this herb is supposed to be as effective as some Rx anti-depressants without the negative effects.

I found some other stuff on the net, it is as follows:

Vitamin B-5 500mg to 1 gram per day - vitamin B-5 is the vitamin that is needed to metabolize and breakdown substances in the brain. In other words you need enough vitamin B-5 for the brain to work optimally. According to Dr. Bob, usually vitamin B-5 in brain metabolism needs about a 1-3 ratio to other brain substances such as choline, L-phenylalanine, and others to properly effect the necessary chemical reactions in the brain. This is why Dr. Bob recommended one-half to one gram per day.

L-phenylalanine 250mg per day – L-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid that is a precursor to two key neurotransmitters (chemical messengers of the brain) that promote alertness: dopamine and norepinephrine. The effects of improving dopamine and norepinephrine can lead to elevated mood, aid in memory and learning, and decrease pain. It is often used in orthomolecular medicine to treat depression. Supplemental L-phenylalanine should not be taken by pregnant women or by people who suffer from anxiety attacks, diabetes, high blood pressure, phenylketonuria (PKU), or preexisting pigmented melanoma, a type of skin cancer and multiple sclerosis.

Tyrosine 500mg per day - tyrosine is another precursor of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine, which regulate mood, among other things. A deficiency of norepinephrine in the brain can result in depression. It also is involved in the metabolism of L-phenylalanine. Supplements of L-tyrosine should be taken at bedtime or with a high carbohydrate meal so that it does not have to compete for absorption with other amino acids. Persons taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors often prescribed for depression should not take any supplements containing L-tyrosine, as it may lead to a sudden and dangerous rise in blood pressure. Persons with multiple sclerosis should not use supplemental tyrosine.

Citicholine 250mg per day, also called CDP-Choline - citicholine is metabolized in the brain to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is involved with memory, thought, sexual function and many other vital aspects of functioning. Improving acetylcholine levels is an aid in regenerating a heroin user's brain. Citicholine also has been shown to be involved in producing other neurotransmitters of the brain. Take it in conjunction with vitamin B-5 supplementation.

L-pyroglutamate 800-1000mg per day - enhances acetylcholine function because it boosts the metabolism of the neurons that manufacture acetylcholine. It also improves acetylcholine by increasing the number of cholinergic receptors in the brain. The cholinergic system is the primary conduit of thought and memory that mainly employs the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
Acetyl-L-carnitine 1 gram per day - is an important antioxidant of the brain and is involved in many aspects of neuronal metabolism. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and damage from heroin use to brain tissue results in the accumulation of free radicals. Heroin use also makes it vital to stimulate neuronal metabolism, the ability to produce energy for the chemical reactions necessary for the brain to work.

Deprenyl - is a prescription substance that is capable of protecting the important neurotransmitter dopamine. Low levels of dopamine can impair cognitive function. Inform the doctor of any other supplements you are taking in conjunction with deprenyl, since all of the substances mentioned in this protocol create synergy and make each more potent. In other words all of these substances in this protocol help each other work better and therefore the doctor will need to determine your deprenyl dose, which may be more or less the usual dose recommended.

Melatonin 1-3 grams at bedtime - the main antioxidant of the brain, it helps to repair and protect the brain from damage. We mentioned that heroin use leads to accumulation of free radicals from prior damage and ongoing damage. Melatonin helps to neutralize and repair this damage.

Hydergine Sandoz - this is a prescription substance that increases oxygen in the brain tissue. Increasing oxygen in brain tissue can greatly improve the brain of a heroin user. We mentioned that damage to the brain can lead to decreased circulation. The decreased circulation reduces the levels of oxygen that can get to brain tissue. Hydergine can improve this condition. Hydergine acts in synergy with most of the nutritional supplements in this article. You therefore need a doctor who is familiar with hydergine and will know what dose to start you off at and what dose to build you up to. Inform your doctor of the other supplements you are taking when you ask about Hydergine.

That information was found on http://www.restoreunity.org. I forgot where exactly on the site but it has a lot of information.

I am also thinking of getting a prescription for piracetam, will that help at all?

Also I believe I read a long time ago that GHB can help ease withdrawals. I've never seen or even heard of anyone doing GHB in my life, but I guess if you do have access to it you would have to be very careful as to not end up trading your opiate addiction for a GHB addiction.

Just a hypothetical question. The rapid detox that involes putting you to sleep and pumping you full of narcan, would suboxone work for this... while in the very early stages of withdrawal. Would some form of this treatment work at "home"? Lets say I would take a pretty large dose of a benzo (maybe 3mgs of xanax with little to no tolerance) and then wait about 20 minutes and do a suboxone (or a lot of naloxone ??) Hopefully I would pass out for a good 6-8 hours and have most the withdrawals for that episode pass. Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing, but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or if they think it would work? please let me know, I might want to give something like this a try. I'm sure it's been thought of, but I would have no idea how to do a search for this long question. Thanks again!!!

Just a hypothetical question. The rapid detox that involes putting you to sleep and pumping you full of narcan, would suboxone work for this... while in the very early stages of withdrawal. Would some form of this treatment work at "home"? Lets say I would take a pretty large dose of a benzo (maybe 3mgs of xanax with little to no tolerance) and then wait about 20 minutes and do a suboxone (or a lot of naloxone ??) Hopefully I would pass out for a good 6-8 hours and have most the withdrawals for that episode pass. Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing, but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or if they think it would work? please let me know, I might want to give something like this a try. I'm sure it's been thought of, but I would have no idea how to do a search for this long question. Thanks again!!!

No. Narcan is only in Suboxone to deter IV abuse of it. Bupe in the Suboxone would fill in opiate receptors and stop withdrawal. Once out of Suboxone you would start to go into withdrawal again.

Better idea would be to taper down with Suboxone and Xanax if you have enough discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.