Mental Health Depression and crying

xaddictx

Bluelighter
Im not sure if this is in the right place, so mods move if its not. Im a male who lost his brother back in June. A lot of times I will go thru some dark moments of depression where everything just seems like doom and gloom
And I want to drink. Im a recovering alcoholic and I don't want to go down that path again. So I dont. I just dose kratom and have an occasional beer. I find crying helps me release that depression. I don't cry much but it seems to help me. Does anyone else find crying a release of depression and bad feelings?

You lost your brother in June?? I am so sorry mate :( It sounds like you're still grieving hard, and that is completely understandable and totally normal when we lose someone so close to us. When I lost my best friend, my grieving process took over 2 YEARS (this was because I was binge drinking every day and not processing my grief properly). Stay off the booze and you will do a lot better. Have you had any grief counselling? It would be worth considering, if you're in to that kinda thing. Just to help you debrief, let out some of your sadness.

You lost your brother in June?? I am so sorry mate :( It sounds like you're still grieving hard, and that is completely understandable and totally normal when we lose someone so close to us. When I lost my best friend, my grieving process took over 2 YEARS (this was because I was binge drinking every day and not processing my grief properly). Stay off the booze and you will do a lot better. Have you had any grief counselling? It would be worth considering, if you're in to that kinda thing. Just to help you debrief, let out some of your sadness.
Thank you for your kind words. I was considering a counselor, but if it gets any worse, I will definitely do that as I'm a veteran. He died of arteriosclerosis. And so sudden. So it hit hard and still dealing with the pain of losing him. So it will be a bittersweet holiday coming up. Thank you again mate. I guess I'll say mate, lol.

Thank you for your kind words. I was considering a counselor, but if it gets any worse, I will definitely do that as I'm a veteran. He died of arteriosclerosis. And so sudden. So it hit hard and still dealing with the pain of losing him. So it will be a bittersweet holiday coming up. Thank you again mate. I guess I'll say mate, lol.
I'm Aussie so yep you can say mate :)
It's always hard when we lose a loved one, but it's even harder when it's sudden and they are young. It just throws your whole world upside down and nothing makes sense any more. If you're thinking of seeing a counsellor, do it now before you feel worse. You don't want to end up relapsing and fall off the rails and THEN have to seek counselling.
The holidays this year are going to be really hard for you and your family, there's no doubt about it. Will you be spending the holidays with your parents?

I'm Aussie so yep you can say mate :)
It's always hard when we lose a loved one, but it's even harder when it's sudden and they are young. It just throws your whole world upside down and nothing makes sense any more. If you're thinking of seeing a counsellor, do it now before you feel worse. You don't want to end up relapsing and fall off the rails and THEN have to seek counselling.
The holidays this year are going to be really hard for you and your family, there's no doubt about it. Will you be spending the holidays with your parents?
No actually my dad lives in South Carolina (east coast of the us) I will most likely be spending Christmas with my nephews and sister in law. So that should be nice. I'm doing good as far as staying off the booze. No real cravings. I was hitting the vodka quite hard and on pain pills. I've been in rehab once already. Relapsed a couple of times since then. But I'm doing good now. It really tested me though after my brother passed thats for sure

No actually my dad lives in South Carolina (east coast of the us) I will most likely be spending Christmas with my nephews and sister in law. So that should be nice. I'm doing good as far as staying off the booze. No real cravings. I was hitting the vodka quite hard and on pain pills. I've been in rehab once already. Relapsed a couple of times since then. But I'm doing good now. It really tested me though after my brother passed thats for sure
That's excellent you haven't relapsed. I'm a recovering alcoholic as well so I really do get it.
It sounds like it will be really nice to spend Christmas with your SIL and nephews (your brother's family I presume?).

That's excellent you haven't relapsed. I'm a recovering alcoholic as well so I really do get it.
It sounds like it will be really nice to spend Christmas with your SIL and nephews (your brother's family I presume?).
Yes it would be my brothers family. Good job to you as well staying off the alcohol. How far are you along in your sobriety if I may ask??

Yes it would be my brothers family. Good job to you as well staying off the alcohol. How far are you along in your sobriety if I may ask??
Just over 8 months including 1 small lapse.
I'm 7 months pregnant so it's a VERY good incentive to stay sober :)
What about you? How long have you been off the vodka and pills?

Just over 8 months including 1 small lapse.
I'm 7 months pregnant so it's a VERY good incentive to stay sober :)
What about you? How long have you been off the vodka and pills?
Sorry it took long to respond 😥 I've been off the vodka for several months now. Did some things that were told to me that was so embarrassing. I was like " no way" lol. But yea I just take Gabapentin for my back pain and kratom. They synergize very well. Be well my friend!

Sorry it took long to respond 😥 I've been off the vodka for several months now. Did some things that were told to me that was so embarrassing. I was like " no way" lol. But yea I just take Gabapentin for my back pain and kratom. They synergize very well. Be well my friend!
Thank you, and same to you. I hope you're doing okay today <3

I don't deal very well with grief at all either. When both of my grandparents died in 2001 I got very addicted to snorting oxycontin. Then when my cousin died in 2012 I started IV'ing MXE.

I think it's best not to use substances to mask grief though, but it's hard.

Crying is definitely part of the process. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best.

I don't deal very well with grief at all either. When both of my grandparents died in 2001 I got very addicted to snorting oxycontin. Then when my cousin died in 2012 I started IV'ing MXE.

I think it's best not to use substances to mask grief though, but it's hard.

Crying is definitely part of the process. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best.
Thank you Simstim

shoot as of late , if the wind blows i cry , but its hard to really let it out, i know men sometimes are or were conditioned to not cry but a women thats preg, let it out!! , but i know its good, stuffing all that in is poison mentally, physically and even spiritually for many, my deep sympathy, ive lost so many you would think i was lying, getting old isnt for the weak, see so many elders passing parents early in life spouses, sister, but a sibling is deeply profoundly painful, so so difficult , my heart goes out to you, please take care of yourself

I think crying is a good release of negative emotion and i think depression often inhibits this release (and others).

Maybe depression is an emotional congestion.