Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Depressing Films

i think Dumb & Dumber is a very depressing movie. i'm not trolling, harry and lloyd are extremely depressing characters. its a very funny movie, but every time i watch it it becomes more and more unsettling to me.

I wish there was a Christmas movie involving the whole Bateman family.

This is literally genius.

i think Dumb & Dumber is a very depressing movie. i'm not trolling, harry and lloyd are extremely depressing characters. its a very funny movie, but every time i watch it it becomes more and more unsettling to me.
Heh, yeah I guess I can sort of see it that way. At the level of a plot summary it is, after all, sort of a travelogue of two hopeless struggling self-serving morons who ignorantly and humiliatingly bungle their way out of opportunities at a better life amidst an extortion scheme and ultimately end up going nowhere. That is depressing. But I guess I've always thought, as I presume most do, that the whole world they're in is just a contrivance to set-up a succession of scenes of iconic dumbassery, to be moved through in the style of Mr. Magoo, and any nastiness entailed by that can be discounted as an absurd upshot.
This is literally genius.
Wouldn't it be great! I really want to know what a film version of Bret Easton Ellis' take on a Bateman family high school era Christmas with grandpa would be like. I hope for a future where it's double-featured on a marquee with "Rob Zombie's: A Firefly Family Yuletide".

Last edited:
^ lol @ firefly family yuletide

here's one...
Amour-poster-french.jpg

The narrative focuses on an elderly couple, Anne and Georges, who are retired music teachers with a daughter who lives abroad. Anne suffers a stroke which paralyses her on one side of her body. Directed by Michale Haneke.

to me it's just real life and reading that it is loosely based on the aunt of the director who suffered from a degenerative disease makes it all the more powerful, very emotional film making. also i feel blessed with the health of my family, but there has been recent medical events that someone has suffered, luckily they are fine now so i could really connect with the husband ( great acting by all btw ) but it brought me back to times when i would thhink "this is it" with tears coming down my face. this story has been played out in real life. a film that after seeing i couldn't wait till tomorrow just to see the people i llove, but not something i feel up to watching again tbh, once was enough if u know what i mean.

Heh, yeah I guess I can sort of see it that way. At the level of a plot summary it is, after all, sort of a travelogue of two hopeless struggling self-serving morons who ignorantly and humiliatingly bungle their way out of opportunities at a better life amidst an extortion scheme and ultimately end up going nowhere. That is depressing.

what really gets me is lloyd's monologue in the apartment when he's trying to convince harry to go to aspen. at one point he's like "let's go somewhere where we know people who can plug us into the social pipeline". and he's talking about that woman he drove to the airport 1 time. poor lloyd... i just think that is so sad.

Christiane F
Boys don't Cry
London to Brighton
Nil by mouth
West Memphis 5
Lilya 4eva
Tree's Lounge
Snowtown
Leaving Las Vegas

I really like depressing films, they are the ones i can think off th top of my head, i am sure i will remember some more

The Cure (1995) - A young boy with AIDS becomes friends with his next door neighbor and together they search for a cure that was supposedly found, whilst his friend becomes closer to death. I saw it when I was about 10 and I cried during it then. I don't think I'd sit through it again because of that.

I don't know if I'd call it depressing, but Big Fish (2003) had me crying real hard. It wasn't as if I was tearing up a bit at the end. This was all out, full on, couldn't stop if I wanted to crying. I can't even tell you why exactly. The last 20 minutes was an all out tear-fest.

Synecdoche, New York

is probably the only movie i've ever seen that made me so depressed after watching that i felt temporarily insane and suicidal

To End All Wars.

Lilya 4-ever.

The Descent.

Nosferatu.

Hunger.

Breaking the Waves.

Dogville.

Lost in Translation.

Irreversible.

Meantime.

The end of Spartacus depressed the shit out of me as a kid.

The Rules of Attraction
The-Rules-of-Attraction.-006.jpg
This film became more depressing after reading all the reviews from people who said it was a reflection of their college experience. However, when I reminded myself that the dude from Dawson's Creek -- who played the lead role surprisingly well -- is Patrick Bateman's (the "American Psycho") little brother it helped me enjoy it more as a very dark comedy. I wish there was a Christmas movie involving the whole Bateman family.

+1 on the Bateman Family Christmas. haha.

But yeah, I didn't find that film depressing. I tell you what's depressing, watching Less Than Zero. What a pile of shit! Unbelievable how badly they fucked that one up. Especially as the book reads like a screenplay.

I'm sure it's been written somewhere already, but Requiem for a Dream.

Dr Zhivago made me well up with tears for some reason.

Precious
Das Boot (coz of what happens when they finally dock)

There's more, I'll think of them later

51IaTFnIJdL.jpg

"A devastating meditation on the human cost of war, this animated tale follows Seita (Tsutomu Tatsumi), a teenager charged with the care of his younger sister, Setsuko (Ayano Shiraishi), after an American firebombing during World War II separates the two children from their parents. Their tale of survival is as heartbreaking as it is true to life. The siblings rely completely on each other and struggle against all odds to stay together and stay alive"

Grave of the Fireflies [1988] .. god damn.
I've seen my share of deep and dark twisted shit, but the idea of physically being brought to tears by a film seemed completely outlandish until this one.
Watched with a friend and we both went mute for the duration.. I had a big lump in my throat for most of it.

Strange because none of the themes resonated that strongly with me, I mean it's animated.. set in a culture far removed from my own.. in another era.
But yeah definitely worth seeing once... I wouldn't watch it if you've had a bad day 8)

The Comedy (2012)

I thought that it was going to be a completely different film than what it turned out to be.