View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Deliriants and introspection?

WickedLilHippie

Greenlighter
I was wondering if deliriants are good for introspection? I know that they are hallucinogens but that they are nothing like psychedelics or dissassociatives.

They resemble a proper psychosis more than the other classes of hallucinogens,you're really gone and confused.

I've def met a few with personal exp who valued the lessons they'd learned from tropane alkaloid plants. But i have no first hand exp so it'd be hard to answer really. Any active cognitive pursuit would likely be out of reach during a strong experience, but the character of visions would surely have some kind of root in ones subconscious. I consider introspective , as a drug quality, to be a sort of lucid cognitive freedom which breaks through psychological inhibitions and provides a clear look into the mirror of self. I feel the deleriant mindset (as i hear it described) doesn't quite qualify as introspective given that definition, though introspective truths and revelation could surely arise from such experiences.

I seriously disagree with everyone else apart from Thoughtsun.
Pseudo Hallucinations are a projection of your sub conscious? The same way those shadow people are. Pay them serious attention and I find I can know my fears, my wants, my childhood memories I may have put aside and my deepest secrets that I know I have to deal with at some point but choose to procrastinate and perhaps I'm feeling subdued? by them without my realising.
Better to write it all down while it is happening and go over it afterwards. It serves a purpose. I also find the same with exhaustion and coming down from amps with all those scary fuckers dancing around in front of you which you have complete control over. Tell them to piss off and they will!
I have never found any of the 'normal' psychs to be introspective. But rather quite boring, once I have came down as none of it was real and the way I felt is irrelevant to real life much to my dismay. Ketamine on the other hand, that drug has probably made me act upon my feelings and created the best choices and understandings of my self I have ever made!
Just my two pence.

Last edited:
Almost any drug can be used for introspection to some extent, but I would say that deliriants probably aren't your best bet for that, in my opinion there's other areas where they excel, but I won't go too much into that in this topic. (suffice to say they're excellent tools for dreaming for one!)

In terms of introspection though they can often leave the person taking them feeling completely sober mentally, even when vastly confused and not even realising they took a drug etc, from my limited experience with deliriants they never really altered my thinking patterns out of the norm, aside from convincing me that some of my lifelike hallucinations were real, and as such they would be no more useful for introspection than simply being sober.

They are often quite relaxing though and this could allow for an easier transition into an introspective state in someone with physical ailments preventing them from relaxing and clearing their mind fully etc.

Also, to the above reply, Ketamine is a dissociative not a deliriant, vaaaaastly different classes of drugs. I too have found Ketamine to be incredibly introspective, but deliriants? Not so much.

I think if you're going to use deliriants as teachers you'd be better off using the lucid dream states they can provide in the wake of the day of your experience.

^ I am well aware that K is a diss!
Dream-state creating hypnotics like Zolpidem and it's ugly sister Zopiclone I find work well for this kind of pseudo/non psuedo hallucination. Severe lack in the I wish I never ate all those benadryl pills/ I feel like shit and can't stop pissing a few ml's with my pupils huge no sleeping and the worse comedown in the world for two days game..!

Things like dipenhydramine or nutmeg can be used for introspection in small doses. Plus, there can be the reverse effect of strengthening your understanding of normal consciousness by recognizing deleriant states.

Definitely not in the way psychedelics, empathogens or dissociatives can make one more prone to introspection during a trip. Of all the deliriants I've read of I've only tried amanita muscaria. I wanted to get a taste of delirium and reports indicated it offered one of the safer and more pleasant experiences to be had from the class. I ended up not feeling the first dose for a couple hours and, being 18 and not having ever had the internet, doubled the dose. I started feeling the first five grams about 15 minutes later, which ended up being quite pleasant. About an hour later the second dose hit. I remember telling my friend "If I was this fucked up from any other drug I'd be scared right now. But I'm still having fun." I put a movie in, sat back down, asked if I had put the movie in, and proceeded to repeat that same cycle of behavior five times. It was strange because after returning to sobriety I could remember repeating the cycle even though during it the anterograde amnesia was so strong I was not aware of it at all.

That's mostly the kind of introspection I got from deliriants -- in depth after-the-fact analysis and amazement at how I could have been so stupid (which is not unproductive, really), other kinds being after-the-fact thoughts about the role of short term memory in basic functioning i.e. musing on the value of being able to try out anterograde amnesia firsthand and return to normal. I'd try amanita again at a smaller dose, but probably only once more.

Last edited:
It could be introspective in the same way a dream could. Deliriants basically make you dream while awake. If you can remain lucid in dreams, it would probably be helpful in remaining semi-sane during a deliriant trip. Yes, if one has lucid interactions with all those hallucinations, it would probably be very introspective, but since you usually lose lucidity, that takes away from the spiritual value greatly in my opinion