Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Declaring you're an addict to prescribed medication on the NHS

Inso

Bluelighter
Hi all, long time no visit.

So I'm currently on a lot of medication for a chronic pain problem, for which I'm having surgery soon to (hopefully) correct the problem. Hence I'll soon be approaching the task of reducing/removing these meds. Chief on the list is Buprenorphine patches - I began at a medium dose of 15mcg/hour each week.

I reduced this to 10 a month ago and Jesus Christ the anxiety and bad thoughts has been almost overwhelming at times, only just starting to go completely now. As such this is going to VERY hard to give up altogether by myself. The 'come up' buzz I experience the day they kick in is just lovely and for the next the few days I am mildly, but noticeably, walking on air. This is the one that's supposed to be less addictive!

I am quickly a hopeless addict with any mood lifting substance I've tried, from caffeine to cocaine. For example, at 19, I took ecstacy four more times, twice by myself (?!), in the week after I discovered it. If I do coke even once nowadays it's all I think about for a week. I think it's in the genes, mum's mum was a severe alcoholic, died when I was a kid. Her brother had heavy drug habits too, also died relatively young. Thankfully my mum has sworn off all intoxicants her whole life due to what she saw as a kid. I had a mostly respectable upbringing as a result, can't really blame that.

I'm going to need extra support, perhaps a lower level opioid to bridge the gap, I'm not entirely sure yet. I should never have been on this shit in the first place if I'd been diagnosed properly, ffs.

How do I tell my doctor I'm very much addicted and need help? Are they likely be supportive? And also what help could be available? I honestly feel a little pathetic given that it's just a prescribed, sensible dose. I also think I need therapy to see why I have such a ridiculous propensity for addictive behaviour.

Wow, this turned into a a bit of an opening up length of post. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Last edited:
How do Inso, nice to see you back old son.

i think its pretty much zero getting prescribed anything like that - admitting you are an addict could go either way - either they are reasonable or more likely "dont give him anything hes a jakey fucker". Good luck. Ive always kept any drug use on the downlow of my doctor.

How do Inso, nice to see you back old son.

i think its pretty much zero getting prescribed anything like that - admitting you are an addict could go either way - either they are reasonable or more likely "dont give him anything hes a jakey fucker". Good luck. Ive always kept any drug use on the downlow of my doctor.
Thanks! You too.

Yeah that's what I thought was likely, having thought about it I don't think I'd want this on my records. Especially now they're been sold off to the highest bidder...

I'll tough it through on my own and take personal advice about how to handle it. I'm just dreading coming off entirely, after having only a small taste so far.

Just never thought that route has much potential inso - be better going darknet fow whatever you need.

Or if you need a "lower level opiate", just how low will you go? Cwe on a packet of cocodamols? Thats low as a motherfucker...😀

The thing that is fucked up about this is that any doctor with a brain KNOWS that if you put someone on even a medium dosage of bupre for chronic pain that person will develope a physical addiction. But if you talk about it too openly they are going to get all scared and pissy about treating you.

I would avoid words like "addict" if you talk to your doctor- they will think you are doubling up on your script or buying street drugs on top of it in all likelihood. Tell your doctor that after the surgery you want to cut back on your burpe script and have read and are worried about "opiate cessation syndrome" ( or whatever bs term the drug companies have come up for "addiction" in your country). Don't tell them you are altering the dosage you take (even if it is to take less than prescribed) without taking to them about cutting back
That sounds like a great way to frame it, thank you.

Recently after a year of constant suffering I paid 300 bones to see a new expert consultant and he diagnosed this new facial pain properly (facial chronic migraine). He also told me that long term opiates cause ANY chronic pain to get worse. He even drew me a little upwards curving graph.

If NHS could have diagnosed it properly years ago I could have had other treatments than opiates.

Having a nerve stimulator implanted soon, should kill it off then it's mind over matter to get through the withdrawals I guess. Absolutely dreading it.

Just never thought that route has much potential inso - be better going darknet fow whatever you need.

Or if you need a "lower level opiate", just how low will you go? Cwe on a packet of cocodamols? Thats low as a motherfucker...😀
Haha. Could be worth using some codeine in low doses to ease the withdrawal.

I'm planning to exercise my way through it, since I'll be in better health after, hopefully that will help.

Last edited:
Depending on the Dr I would go in and be fully open and honest, explain that you have been self medicating and understand its time to take control over it with some help from your GP (its their job to help you, even for drug use which is stigmatised.)

When I was serious about getting off rc benzos, I went to my GP with printed out booklets of info detailing what I was using, the importance of the ashton manual etc. It proved that I was serious about getting off drugs but needed help from the NHS in the form of a scripted taper plan and bi-weekly phone convos with my GP to determine dosage for the next couple weeks.

Depending on the Dr I would go in and be fully open and honest, explain that you have been self medicating and understand its time to take control over it with some help from your GP (its their job to help you, even for drug use which is stigmatised.)

When I was serious about getting off rc benzos, I went to my GP with printed out booklets of info detailing what I was using, the importance of the ashton manual etc. It proved that I was serious about getting off drugs but needed help from the NHS in the form of a scripted taper plan and bi-weekly phone convos with my GP to determine dosage for the next couple weeks.
I'll think about that, thanks for sharing.

My mate has come to stay with me for a week and insisting on bringing along a huge amount of weed. That and increasing my pregabalin dose to recreational levels is helping a lot.

The emptiness reminds me of when someone close has just died. I've managed to go down another dose so am hoping I can make it on my own. Will avoid telling GP much if I can.

True say the emptiness is like close death. Why they pxthe longest lingering opiates on people too. It's beyond me. Ha, I find full fat methadone makes me less of a weirdo but I'm still traumatised after my last visit to get script. Evil plots

True say the emptiness is like close death. Why they pxthe longest lingering opiates on people too. It's beyond me. Ha, I find full fat methadone makes me less of a weirdo but I'm still traumatised after my last visit to get script. Evil plots
I was taking Oramorph for a while then they changed it to the bupe patches because it's 'safer'.

IME the withdrawal and side effects from the bupe are worse.

Update: the great 'emptying' has begun. I was NOT prepared for this lol

I must say I have a newfound respect for people who get off huge opiate abuse habits. I can't even begin to imagine what this withdrawal is like 10x worse. It must be devastating beyond belief. Kudos to you all.

The negative thoughts are lifting and I feel better, down to the lowest dose now.

Never again. Fuck opiates.

Do you have pregabalin left? I find doses 300-600mg helps. Or are you withdrawing tthat too? In which case if you've been taking it daily for s long time can be actually worse than opioid wd.

How long you been of the bupe?

Also how much were you taking? People can build it up in their head and make it worse than if they hadn't been reading about how àwfuk it is on BL.

Nice country bike rides if possible with music (music is way better off opiates).

Do you have pregabalin left? I find doses 300-600mg helps. Or are you withdrawing tthat too? In which case if you've been taking it daily for s long time can be actually worse than opioid wd.

How long you been of the bupe?
I'm not off it yet, but down to 5mcg/hr from 15 over last four weeks. Hopefully coming off the tiny remaining dose will be ok.

I've got Pregabalin prescribed at 450mg/day. I take two or three at a time as needed, it really is helpful. It's pretty addictive too, but I've come off it before and it was pretty easy. Much rather be on that anyway cos it helps my pain while the bupe has actually made it worse in the long run, according to new neurologist.

I hadn't been reading about withdrawals before at all really, just when I started to feel shit I thought of Bluelight. I feel I can get through it now, exercise is indeed very helpful. Walking with headphones on for hours at a time.

You're on a low dose of buprenorphine but I would cut it as low as I could. I tapered off buprenorphine to a 0.5mg sublingual which is about 150 micrograms absorbed (old brand name Subutex) and had a pretty rough time. Your dose is equivalent to something like a 0.3mg of the medication I was taking. It's good but if you can taper as low as you can. I don't know how can you do that with patches but there are 0.4mg sublingual pills (in EU) that can be cut in quarters. What I am trying to say is that you're doing great, buprenorphine is a powerful substance and if you can taper as low as you can to minimise the withdrawal. It is better to sleep and taper than to stop too soon and not sleep for more than 2 hours in 2-3 weeks. You are pretty low already but don't underestimate buprenorphine. With all that said - you're doing great and I don't think that you will have a horrible experience. :)

You're on a low dose of buprenorphine but I would cut it as low as I could. I tapered off buprenorphine to a 0.5mg sublingual which is about 150 micrograms absorbed (old brand name Subutex) and had a pretty rough time. Your dose is equivalent to something like a 0.3mg of the medication I was taking. It's good but if you can taper as low as you can. I don't know how can you do that with patches but there are 0.4mg sublingual pills (in EU) that can be cut in quarters. What I am trying to say is that you're doing great, buprenorphine is a powerful substance and if you can taper as low as you can to minimise the withdrawal. It is better to sleep and taper than to stop too soon and not sleep for more than 2 hours in 2-3 weeks. You are pretty low already but don't underestimate buprenorphine. With all that said - you're doing great and I don't think that you will have a horrible experience. :)
Thank you for this post. I'll talk to doctor about lower strength stuff to come off the last bit if needed. Good luck with your journey too.

My mate came to visit and brought me the strongest weed I've ever had, that's helping quite a bit! :p

Last edited:
Ive also found myself on bupe after usng DHC for far too long after a work related injury (also just fucking love DHC, can't lie lol) cant seem to take less than 2mg per day even though 1mg should do me. Your right, pregabalin is a very useful drug for tapering and eventually coming off opiates. I found even dosing small amounts of pregab for sleep, the followng day my DHC or now my sub dose felt/feels a fair bit stronger. Only downside to pregabs for me is the spinny fucked upness of them as like to feel functional for the most part for work etc. If they made me less dizzy and drunk feeling id probably use them a lot more.

I'm pretty sure I lose at least 10 IQ points on Pregabalin. It's very useful at the moment though and I like to think I have plenty of IQ going spare! :D

Been doing shitloads of exercise, since I'm now in LESS pain after lowering the the Bupe. It helps so much. Endorphins are endorphins I guess...

but they only give ya one chance, ive been trying my best to get a taper again (cuz dr's dont know what a relapse is by the seems of it) and im fuckin skint this week so im kinda screwed