View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dealing with someone who becomes psychotic due to a psychedelic

MyNewName

Bluelighter
So I’ve done my fair share of psychedelic drugs over the years and I’ve been around lots of different people doing lots of different drugs, but I’ve never dealt with anything like this. Long story short, my best friend Chad and I are left with this guy John in my apartment who is losing his damn mind and is seemingly psychotic. He breaks some shit and eventually runs out the door. We try to get him to his house but he keeps running away. It all ends with John being tackled by the police and taken away in an ambulance, strapped to the stretcher.

So here’s the full story:

Some of my friends come over to my apartment on a Friday around 7pm, a few had just dosed LSD (reagent tested) and wanted to start their night at my place. They brought a friend named John who I’d met before but didn’t know very well. My friends had strong tabs (exact dosage unknown) and each took 1-3 but John had 6. We smoked and chilled while they were coming up; things were going well at first.

As the evening goes on, John starts to make less and less sense. By 8:30p, it’s clear that he’s having a bad and very intense trip. He’s extremely agitated, pacing, shouting nonsense, banging on the walls, having mood swings, etc. John throws my new iPhone at the wall, totally shattering it. I hide my pets because I fear that he might hurt them. We try to calm him down but nothing helps. My friends who are tripping leave because they expect my neighbors to call the cops at any minute (I’m surprised they didn’t).

So Chad and I are left to deal with John, who’s becoming increasingly psychotic. We try to get John back to his house, thinking he might calm down in a familiar environment. We eventually get him outside and he runs off. We get in my car and find him in the parking lot; he won’t get in my car, so we decide to back off and keep an eye on him. We didn’t want to leave him because we were very worried that he might hurt himself or someone else, given the way he was acting.

At this point, he’s running around the parking lot screaming nonsense. While we’re considering our remaining options, John starts trying to break into cars. We realize that we have to call the campus police and EMS now before someone else calls the city police, who would deal with him much more harshly. John was a student and I recently graduated and live on campus, so I’m glad we had this option.

Two cops arrive and we explain the situation. When the cops approach John and start talking to him, he bolts off across the street and they have to tackle him. The campus EMS arrive quickly but clearly weren’t prepared for this. We tell them that he took LSD and was having a really bad reaction. The police have to help the EMTs get John into the ambulance and strap him down because he was resisting so much (he's a strong guy).

It’s not fun having to call the cops on someone who is tripping. I’m sure it was no fun for John either. Needless to say, this whole ordeal was incredibly stressful. Plus, he never paid me for the $1000 in damage that he did to my stuff. I'm just glad that nobody got hurt.

In retrospect, I should have noticed the symptoms earlier. We didn't have any benzos to give him, but I think that might have made it all worse by lowering his inhibitions. Is there anything that we could have done before he became full-on psychotic?

Benzo's are OK. Lorazepam is usually given to agitated psychotics aswell. They won't stop the delusions though.

To stop the delusions you need a 5-HT2A inverse agonist/antagonist like risperidone, pipamperone, ketanserin or perhaps hydroxyzine.

Benzo's are OK. Lorazepam is usually given to agitated psychotics aswell. They won't stop the delusions though.

To stop the delusions you need a 5-HT2A inverse agonist/antagonist like risperidone, pipamperone, ketanserin or perhaps hydroxyzine.

In the past, my friends and I have successfully used trazodone to end a trip, typically at the end of the night to get to sleep. I wish I still had some of that when this happened, or risperidone like you mentioned.

I think you shouldn’t have allowed a person you don’t know to take 6 tabs of strong acid at your place. Just say politely to do it somewhere else. Set and setting are very important when you use powerful psychedelic drugs, even with people you know well.

I have been confronted to a similar situation once (with mushrooms). We dialed 911 as soon as we realized we couldn’t talk him through his psychotic experience and he became verbally aggressive. It took three 200 pounds policemen to take him out and strap him on the ambulance stretcher. At the hospital he received the professional medical attention he needed. Fortunately no one was hurt and nothing was broken, the cops and the hospital staff did a very good job, they are trained to deal with a situation like that.

John is very lucky to have gone through that unhurt as well as you and your friends. In such a situation don’t hesitate to call 911, somebody could have been badly hurt or even killed. John is a fucking irresponsible asshole.

I'm sorry if I'm gonna be rude...

Why the fuck did he takes 6 tabs? I would at least tell him it's not a good idea.... No wonders why LSD remains illegal ....

Just distract him with a shiny object for a sec, while I stab him in the deltoid ;)

Have you ever been confronted to such a situation? Have you ever worked in a psychaiatric ward or an ER? Let me tell you they fight for their life and can be amazingly fierce...they are not exactly collaborative.=D

I've dealt with psychotic individuals, yeah. Stimulant-induced psychosis honestly worries me more than psychedelic-induced psychosis, though, when I'm confronted with it.

I was mostly joking around. But serious at the same time. An antipsychotic administered intramuscularly would probably be the best solution to psychedelic-induced psychosis. Whether or not it's accessible or easily administered is another question... A benzodiazepine may or may not help...usually if someone is having an acute panic attack (which psychedelics can sometimes induce?), IV lorazepam is usually the go-to treatment in the ER. I'm not sure if a benzodiazepine would be beneficial for someone experiencing psychosis, though.

^Haldol is pretty commonly administered for "psychiatric emergencies" (like an episode of psychosis), LSD included...it looks like there are some good sources on the haliporedol wiki page

Nothing short of a large shot in a hospital setting would have stopped him I'm afraid. Even if you had a fist full of benzos on hand do you really think you could have forced them down his throat? Not to mention the fact it would take at least 30-45min to kick in.

Set and setting is one thing, trying to avoid idiots dick sizing is another. I've known people take just as silly doses by mistake (usually because of accidental liquid misadventures), but not everyone has a rampage in them. You live and learn I guess