• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dad killed drug pusher to save addict daughter (Updated 4/12/07)

This creative approach to the defense on the lawyer's part is shocking even for American standards.

I'd vote second degree murder. While it may have been premeditated, I think it was very much a crime of passion. If some fuckwad got my daughter addicted to morphine, I'd have no problem putting a bullet in his leg as a last resort, not sure I'd kill him though.

major bullshit
"'He was that close to killing that girl in the front row,'"
and what the fuck was she doing? theres no personal responibility on the girls part?
the man killed someone, just because the vic happened to be a drug dealer does not change the fucking fact that this asshole killed someone.
obviously the lawyer is trying to play the jury's emotions, this was easily a first degree murder, who brings a gun and extra ammo to pick up their daughter? who the fuck fires defensive shots at someone whos down on the ground? god, and the motherfuckers are talking like the girl was the victim of the dealer, did he hold her down and force the needle into her? did put a gun to her head? fuck no. she is just as much responsible. this is like the Chicago ODs where they charged the dealers with manslaughter, people hear drugs and all of a sudden theres a whole new standard for whats right and whats wrong.its retarded.

twoci said:
If some fuckwad got my daughter addicted to morphine,
Where is all this "he got her addicted" bullshit coming from? No one forced her to take the drugs, just like no one forced any of us. Just because she happens to be female, all of a sudden there is no responsibility on her for getting hooked? Bullshit.

Super Bowl commercials got me addicted to beer.

Now I pee my pants at night.

Who should I kill?

How about my justice!

twoci said:
I'd vote second degree murder. While it may have been premeditated, I think it was very much a crime of passion. If some fuckwad got my daughter addicted to morphine, I'd have no problem putting a bullet in his leg as a last resort, not sure I'd kill him though.

thats what we need more of in this world, a father who is a "dad", with the bollocks to stand up for his children and keep the scum away. crime of passion ? no. its more than that. we arent talking about playing with peoples emotions here, we are talking about protecting children, which of course,is protecting the future. peole have stated on this sight that drug use or buying is NOT a crime. but dealing and more to the point what the dealer is doing as well as pushing, is.

any judge worth his salt will agree on that.

^thanks for that well thought out and extremly informed comment. no doubt, you are a father.

Like I said, extreme alcoholism can kill a person in 1-2 years, and it is common for people to die from an alcohol OD.

Do you support killing your local liquor store owners?

How about McDonald's franchises?

When does personal responsibility come into play?

realistic1 said:
why does does this sadden u? it took something as drastic as this to make her see the light and turn her life around ....i say good for her and commend her on her strength and courage to stand up be a accountable person in society and not continue on the path that MR Hayward was on. unlike u she did not run in hide of any shame of that has come about because of this situtaion. she stayed changed her life incredibly and is on the road to make a great life for her self and her future family and gave her support to her father who saved her froma life of hell and misery. WTG JADAH keep up the good work!

As for Mr Hayward....whos fault is it he didnt have the chance to change his life around for the better?
1...after being convicted of selling drugs ----- how many times?
2...beating a man senseless with a pipe? ---- who he could have killed
what did he need to convince him to change his life? lightning strike?

he had plent of oportunity to change if he wanted to ... so i have no pity for him for his poor family that crying that they were not given a chance to help him .... where were they when he was convicted of these charges ..? in my opinion ... to bad so sad ... time to quit complaining about how this was taken away from u .

IMHO

Apologist, apologist, apologist.

Stop your double-standard judgments.

StagnantReaction said:
Apologist, apologist, apologist.

Stop your double-standard judgments.

Umm OK ...So your titled to your opinion here and i'm not?
Hows what i said a double standard? I hold my ground.

They"the Walkers" tried every means possible that were available to them.
-the law did nothing.Whoopie a 3 day court order.
how come no court order to restrain him for contacting her?
-i dont recall that being discussed. were they not given that option?
Why was he still allowed to live the life of leisure after being convicted of how many offences? He belonged in prison .... or sent to a clinic to turn his life around..For crying out loud ...there were people being tossed in a cage for unpaid traffic tickets.Which is the worse of the 2 evils here?

-she was about 16 when this all took place? so she may have been a lil naive here, peer pressure may have gotten the better of her or maybe better yet maybe she just gave in just to part of the so called in group? Now....my question to all of u ..how many of you did things you knew were not right but did it just to fit in or be with the in crowd? How many of you disobeyed your parents and went against the grain knowing how much it would piss them off?
-and dont say you were all saints here ... coz me myself have been there done that.

So this is not a matter of double standard.This just goes to show you what happens when the system fails ...victim included.

Peer pressure got the better of her every morning, noon, and night?

Must have been a very popular girl!

Walker convicted in slaying
Guilty of second-degree murder in shooting death of his drug-addicted daughter's boyfriend
January 20, 2007
Tim Cook
CANADIAN PRESS

YORKTON, SASK.–At the back door of the Yorkton courthouse, a tearful young woman stood in the bitter cold yesterday and waved goodbye as the father she feels saved her from a certain drug-addict's death was taken away to prison.

A jury convicted Kim Walker, 50, of second-degree murder for gunning down his daughter's boyfriend, James Hayward, in March 2003.

A judge immediately imposed the mandatory life sentence and agreed with the jury that he should be eligible for parole in 10 years, the shortest possible time for that conviction.

"My father is my hero," Walker's daughter, Jadah, said as she left for home without her dad. "I'll swear that until the day that I die. He saved my life. He did what he had to do."

Walker's wife, Elizabeth, called Hayward a "dirty scumbag" as relatives pulled her away from reporters and she got into the family's van.

Hayward's family tried hard in the past few days to repair the image of their son, who the court heard was a convicted drug dealer, but who relatives say was a good and friendly person.

His mother, Lorrie Getty, who sobbed quietly as the jury's verdict was read, said the decision will never repair the damage Walker has done.

"I think justice was done," Getty said. "I don't want justice, I don't want revenge, I want James back. That's what I want."

She read a poem for reporters, written by Hayward's younger brother, Danny.

"You call yourself a father and you act like you're a saint, but yet you could not bother to show some self restraint," the poem read, referring to Walker.

"Sure he wasn't perfect, but no one really is, so why was he so worthless? The mistakes he made were his."

Walker had originally been charged with first-degree murder and the jury took 2 1/2 days to weigh the evidence.

During the trial, court heard how Hayward and Jadah Walker were living together and both were addicted to morphine.

Walker shot Hayward five times, including once in the back. The young man bled to death as Jadah, then 16, cradled his head in her lap.

The jury's finding meant they believed he had the "state of mind for murder," but the killing was not planned and deliberate.

Walker, a welder who taught the bagpipes in his spare time, stared vacantly at the floor as the jurors were polled. His daughter broke down in tears and had to be comforted by a family member.

"You may have honestly believed that shooting James Hayward was the only viable option to you," Justice Jennifer Pritchard said after imposing her sentence. "In short, you were a desperate man and no doubt the hearts of most parents reach out to you, but you wrongfully killed this man."

Walker's lawyer, Morris Bodnar, said there will "absolutely" be an appeal of the conviction.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/173095

This just goes to show you what happens when the system fails ...victim included.

no it shows you what happens when parents fail. fuck a restraining order.. the daughter was at HIS house.. how did she get there? if minor daughter was addicted to opiate drugs, and i was determined to force her to stop, she would be on 24 hour lock down with someone watching her at all times... or at a clinic, or something.. there were so many ways of saving their daughter that don't involve the killing of another person... i guess the problem is not all of them are as easy as pulling a trigger. :\

if i had suspected he was going to kill the drug dealer, and i had killed the dad, would I have gotten off? no

frizzantik said:
no it shows you what happens when parents fail. fuck a restraining order.. the daughter was at HIS house.. how did she get there? if minor daughter was addicted to opiate drugs, and i was determined to force her to stop, she would be on 24 hour lock down with someone watching her at all times... or at a clinic, or something.. there were so many ways of saving their daughter that don't involve the killing of another person... i guess the problem is not all of them are as easy as pulling a trigger. :\

So right you are. I just happen to have a very similar case in my own family, the girl was 17, hooked on H and her dealer was her scumbag boyfriend. She ran away from the house with him and was missing for quite long period of time. When she finally ran out of money, the parents were ready for her. They got a restraining order aginst the BF and drove her straight to a supervised rehab facility as far away from the boyfriend as possible. Sure it was hell and it cost them a fortune, but they solved the problem. See ? And no one got killed in the process. I'm sure it's much easier though, to just go and shoot someone.:\

realistic1 said:
If your so ashamed to be from there? why are u here admitting it to the world then? why not just make a comment and leave it at that.what so embarrasing about it? the community has never done anything to u has it? every city has situations in them that are out of other control ...all u can do is go out and try to make it a better place for u and your family can live in.whats so hard about that?

why does does this sadden u? it took something as drastic as this to make her see the light and turn her life around ....i say good for her and commend her on her strength and courage to stand up be a accountable person in society and not continue on the path that MR Hayward was on. unlike u she did not run in hide of any shame of that has come about because of this situtaion. she stayed changed her life incredibly and is on the road to make a great life for her self and her future family and gave her support to her father who saved her froma life of hell and misery. WTG JADAH keep up the good work!

As for Mr Hayward....whos fault is it he didnt have the chance to change his life around for the better?
1...after being convicted of selling drugs ----- how many times?
2...beating a man senseless with a pipe? ---- who he could have killed
what did he need to convince him to change his life? lightning strike?

he had plent of oportunity to change if he wanted to ... so i have no pity for him for his poor family that crying that they were not given a chance to help him .... where were they when he was convicted of these charges ..? in my opinion ... to bad so sad ... time to quit complaining about how this was taken away from u .

IMHO
I'm ashamed to come from a community that is filled with such IGNORANCE... such as yourself. And like I said I left immediatly after high school. And it had nothing to do with 'running and hiding' from anything. It had to do with getting the best education possible and starting the best career possible. And being in a province and a city where making money is actually an option. Some people can settle and be happy working at the local smalltown mall and others move on to bigger things. Don't be jealous of that.. you've obviously chosen to stay... good for you... gotta keep that population up. But I would NEVER consider raising my family in that little dump.

So, you can hurl your insults all you want. But quite frankly, there is no reason to be hurling insults to a family of a murdered man. And the mans dead... no point of hurling insults at him either. He's up in heavan right now sitting next to God smiling because just a little bit of justice has been served.

As for the rest of us on here... lets just HOPE that there will be an appeal... and the final result of that is a verdict of first degree murder. And then justice will truly be served.