• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Curing/preventing alcohol hangovers

Zon

Bluelighter
Alcohol has and probably always will be my drug of choice for most weekends... But after 20 years of drinking I still can't work out what causes/prevents hangovers! And probably because of age the last few years they have become too much to bare so I wanted to share what I have learnt/experienced so far and ask if anyone knows anything else I could also try out.

My hangovers are almost always different... Sometimes wake up with a splitting headache just a few hours after I slept. Sometimes wake up fine and then feel like puking several hours later... No idea what causes these differences though. I also get extremely emotional, feeling of acidity in my stomach, and absoultely no ability to focus on anything.

So far these are the things I have found to help....

-Water. I think everyone knows this but drinking water obviously reduces the hangover, especially if you drink it throughout the night while drinking alcohol. Although this is obviously not so easy especially when you are outside or in a bar... I try to chug half a liter of water with a bit of suger and salt in it before I sleep but doesn't seem to have too much effect...

-Fatty food BEFORE a night out. I still need to test this out a bit more but I definitely seem to have less hangover if I eat fatty food before going out. Although eating at the end of a night doesn't seem to do much.

-Turmeric/ukon. This is something I learnt from Japanese friends, in Japan they use concentrated turmeric supplements before a night out to prevent a hangover the next day. This DEFINITELY works, in fact it works so well I sometimes have a little trouble getting drunk if I take some good Japanese Ukon before a night out.

-Having a hangover the day before. This is probably the strongest effect, if I have a bad hangover on Saturday and go out again Saturday night I am pretty much fine on Sunday, same with my girlfriend. My only idea is that our liver gets warmed up on Friday night and is ready for a fight on Saturday night :)

-Lemon wine, this is a bit interesting but I've been pretty drunk a few times on lemon wine and always woke up the next day feeling fine, drinking lemon wine and other drinks also seems to cause less hangover than just other drinks. Could be because of the vitimin C in it but I also tried vitimin C tablets (that fizz in a glass of water) and didn't seem to help as much.

-Vitimin C helps a little (I think), although vitimin B complex did absolutely nothing for me.

-Hair of the dog (more alcohol the next day). Doesn't seem to help me with headache or nausia but a beer or 2 does clear up my brain fog and stop me feeling so emotional.

-Asprin, used to work for me in the morning but lately stopped working completely...

-Ibuprofen. I know it's not recommended but this is my last resort in the morning if I can't wait it out. Anyone know how dangerous or damaging it actually is to take this the next morning?

As for differnt alcohol types... I do notice certain brands of beer seem to cause worse hangovers than others, which is very strange. I also feel that spirits cause less hangover than beer for me. And mixing actually seems to cause me less hangover than drinking just one thing! I read a study that also proved mixing has little to no effect.

I think that is everything I know and have tried.

Anyone have anything else to add to this list? And please no anti alcohol comments...

multivitamin early morning or if i drink a lot i drink some pedialyte or something comparable before going to bed

hangover is mainly due to loss in vitamins and dehydration

have you tried prickly pear juice?

I think all of your remedies are decent, however, it's worth s look into a supplement called NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) that's taken before drinking and may assist in helping with hangovers. It's also what they'd pump you full of if you went to an ER for acetaminophen overdose/ poisoning.

No but it's not very available or affordable where I live unfortunately.

think the best anti hangover is to drink in moderation
we don't always have to get shit faced when we go out drinking

Plenty of water, food, taking 2 of those tablets that dissolves in water and are against dehydration + a huge dose of methyl b12 and a good nights sleep makes me feel pretty good next day. If I want to feel as normal as possible I would take a low dose of a benzo with long duration the next morning + a painkiller. Voila hangover is gone.

As much milk as I could possibly consume before bed worked for me.

I think all of your remedies are decent, however, it's worth s look into a supplement called NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) that's taken before drinking and may assist in helping with hangovers. It's also what they'd pump you full of if you went to an ER for acetaminophen overdose/ poisoning.

As much milk as I could possibly consume before bed worked for me.

Thanks! Definitely sounds promising! I also wanna try an asprin before sleeping (after drinking). Heard that helps too.

Btw anyone know how bad is it to take Ibuprofen the morning after drinking? They really save me but I feel like it might be unhealthy to do. Of course not as bad as paracetamol though.