• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cocaine Crack Smoking and Tongue Swelling

GloomyElk

Bluelighter
Hello All:

While new to joining this forum, I have been reading it for years, and have also been a participant on some other sites. I’m turning to this community to see if anyone might be able to enlighten me on a particular topic.

I’ve done exhaustive research across the Internet for months, and can’t find much of anything. What I do find has been some sporadic medical journals that are often written at a level I can’t follow, are usually intertwined with things that are off-topic, or only provide a glimpse to my topic, and then require you to be a paid, registered user at an exorbitant rate (they’re geared for the medical community after all) to view the entire article. I also think that because crack itself carries stigmas with many, it is something that’s easy to neglect.

So, here is my situation. I have been a regular crack user for over a year. This comes after many years of snorting coke, which I don’t do anymore. By regular, I use generally 4-5 times/week. Sometimes it’s just a couple of hits. Sometimes it’s an all-night binge. And there are at least several days/week where there is no use of any kind. Specific to only the last three months or so, I have noticed that my tongue often swells almost immediately after taking a hit. It varies between being a mild reaction, to sometimes worrying me that air itself could be cut off.

I cook my own and have tried a variety of product from a variety of places, changed stems regularly, changed copper filters very regularly, you name it. In the absence of finding any material on this, I have created my own scientific experiments to determine if one thing or any combo of things can be contributing to this. Regardless of changing any of these variables, the problem persists. However, if I smoke a bowl of weed, for instance, no such reaction.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with crack? Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Any educated guesses as to what might be going on? It is enough to take away from my enjoyment, and I already know that the proper answer is to just stop. But I am hopeful that I can find someone who can give me more of an insider’s perspective on what might be happening. I have already greatly reduced my usage. But even now after a few days off it, one hit, and immediately the swollen tongue returns.

When I don’t use, my tongue is normal. And interestingly, the one “remedy” to this problem is to keep smoking, which isn’t really a very good remedy. I find that if I smoke a lot over the course of a day, after several hours the tongue swelling goes away and does not return again that day. Strange?

Any insights? Thank you kindly.

I havent had this happen but as a heavy crack smoker, i can suggest that while smoking you are somehow letting alot of the hot smoke hit your tongue ( after your first toke, your mouth will go numb or should begin to with good coke which can lead you to smoking without realizing it irritating your tongue, throat, etc) try to keep your tongue low while smoking as im sure its directly due to somthing related to this, aside from that i can only think of maybe youre allergic to somthing that it may be cut with?

I havent had this happen but as a heavy crack smoker, i can suggest that while smoking you are somehow letting alot of the hot smoke hit your tongue ( after your first toke, your mouth will go numb or should begin to with good coke which can lead you to smoking without realizing it irritating your tongue, throat, etc) try to keep your tongue low while smoking as im sure its directly due to somthing related to this, aside from that i can only think of maybe youre allergic to somthing that it may be cut with?
Wow - mind blown. Here I’ve been experimenting with switching up the product, changing the equipment, adding things like mouthpieces to the equipment, and not really focusing on technique itself.

I just tested your suggestion, and I’ll be damned! I purposely kept my tongue pressed against the floor of my mouth for the most part, and didn’t get anywhere near the same amount of swelling. My throat got more numb than usual, but given that the air flow was going directly to it that makes sense. I have always felt I draw too hard on the pipe, so I can already tell I’m going to need to experiment with technique a lot more to get this refined.

Thank you! I think we’re definitely on to something. As far as cuts, I have tried so much different gear since this started, that it’s hard to see how it could be such a consistent problem. Unless of course it is an allergy to the coke itself, but I find that very hard to believe given my lengthy history with it. I truly think you are right that it has a lot to do with technique. Greatly appreciate the response, and am open to any other thoughts from anyone who reads this.

Wow - mind blown. Here I’ve been experimenting with switching up the product, changing the equipment, adding things like mouthpieces to the equipment, and not really focusing on technique itself.

I just tested your suggestion, and I’ll be damned! I purposely kept my tongue pressed against the floor of my mouth for the most part, and didn’t get anywhere near the same amount of swelling. My throat got more numb than usual, but given that the air flow was going directly to it that makes sense. I have always felt I draw too hard on the pipe, so I can already tell I’m going to need to experiment with technique a lot more to get this refined.

Thank you! I think we’re definitely on to something. As far as cuts, I have tried so much different gear since this started, that it’s hard to see how it could be such a consistent problem. Unless of course it is an allergy to the coke itself, but I find that very hard to believe given my lengthy history with it. I truly think you are right that it has a lot to do with technique. Greatly appreciate the response, and am open to any other thoughts from anyone who reads this.
Sounds like you may have been unknowingly irritating your tongue to the point of swelling by accident by improper smoking technique :) im glad to have pointed it out as ive had 'friends' with this issue and it usually came down to how they were smoking and as a heavy smoker for years ive gotten it all, experienced most of all the side effects, one thing is also to checkout your tongue, as if you have a sore or somthing to that extent, smoking coke will DEFINATELY hurt your tongue due to the nature of the smoke ( its actually vaporized particles which can hurt your mouth) with regards to air flow, i would like to suggest aswell, try to notice if your teeth are acting as a sort of barrier to the smoke ( if you get gunk on your teeth after youre done smoking its a certainty) this can help alot as this was my only issue ive gotten repeatedly while smoking due to getting high and not smoking right, not to mention bad for the teeth

I once had a mouth sore and coke made it numb but when the numbing wore off, maan did i wana just eat the coke to numb my mouth from the pain/irritation

In my experience, crack has obviously numbed my tongue but certainly it never caused it to swell.

I concur that it may be a cut or some kind of adulterant.

I suppose it’s possible that it’s related to the cocaine itself but I’ve never heard of it.

Sounds like you may have been unknowingly irritating your tongue to the point of swelling by accident by improper smoking technique :) im glad to have pointed it out as ive had 'friends' with this issue and it usually came down to how they were smoking and as a heavy smoker for years ive gotten it all, experienced most of all the side effects, one thing is also to checkout your tongue, as if you have a sore or somthing to that extent, smoking coke will DEFINATELY hurt your tongue due to the nature of the smoke ( its actually vaporized particles which can hurt your mouth) with regards to air flow, i would like to suggest aswell, try to notice if your teeth are acting as a sort of barrier to the smoke ( if you get gunk on your teeth after youre done smoking its a certainty) this can help alot as this was my only issue ive gotten repeatedly while smoking due to getting high and not smoking right, not to mention bad for the teeth
Zonxx,

I have to truly thank you for the suggestions. Just wish I had signed up three months ago and asked my question then, rather than poring over obscure, irrelevant material online trying to find answers.

After taking your advice into consideration, I tried this technique a few times tonight, and had MUCH better success. I’m still getting a tiny amount of swelling, but really not anything comparable at all to what was happening before. I’m also noticing I’m getting a lot more smoke inhaled, and as you might imagine, the high is taking me back to my early days on it. So indeed, I have little doubt right now that my tongue was literally cutting off air flow when I was smoking, and because of that the tongue itself was overheating and swelling.

I’ve noticed after about three stems of trying your suggestion that my throat is definitely taking more of the brunt of it, so I’m sure over time that will bring another set of complications. But that feeling at least seems to fade quickly, and does not disrupt my breathing the way the swollen tongue was doing.

One more question if you don’t mind. When you smoke from a glass stem, how do you actually inhale? Are you taking a very light draw off the stem, or hitting it harder? My main problem is that since picking up this bad habit a year ago, I’ve only smoked with two different people, and not very often. So as much of an expert as I am on different medications, I’m realizing I don’t have a lot of experience from others to emulate when it comes to proper smoking technique itself. Thanks.

Welcome too bluelight dude!

Just double checking your talking about crack cocaine yeah? It may seem a weird question to Americans but majority of Australians who use the word crack are talking about methamphetamine. Crack cocaine is almost non existent here. Powered Cocaine is plentyful though.

AT

Welcome too bluelight dude!

Just double checking your talking about crack cocaine yeah? It may seem a weird question to Americans but majority of Australians who use the word crack are talking about methamphetamine. Crack cocaine is almost non existent here. Powered Cocaine is plentyful though.

AT
Thank you for the welcome! Glad to be here.

And yes, I’m referring to crack cocaine. I almost never purchase it already made. I much prefer buying the powdered cocaine and cooking it myself with baking soda. I’ve come to realize how the availability and usage of crack cocaine varies between countries, as well as the preferred mode of smoking it in different countries.

Zonxx,

I have to truly thank you for the suggestions. Just wish I had signed up three months ago and asked my question then, rather than poring over obscure, irrelevant material online trying to find answers.

After taking your advice into consideration, I tried this technique a few times tonight, and had MUCH better success. I’m still getting a tiny amount of swelling, but really not anything comparable at all to what was happening before. I’m also noticing I’m getting a lot more smoke inhaled, and as you might imagine, the high is taking me back to my early days on it. So indeed, I have little doubt right now that my tongue was literally cutting off air flow when I was smoking, and because of that the tongue itself was overheating and swelling.

I’ve noticed after about three stems of trying your suggestion that my throat is definitely taking more of the brunt of it, so I’m sure over time that will bring another set of complications. But that feeling at least seems to fade quickly, and does not disrupt my breathing the way the swollen tongue was doing.

One more question if you don’t mind. When you smoke from a glass stem, how do you actually inhale? Are you taking a very light draw off the stem, or hitting it harder? My main problem is that since picking up this bad habit a year ago, I’ve only smoked with two different people, and not very often. So as much of an expert as I am on different medications, I’m realizing I don’t have a lot of experience from others to emulate when it comes to proper smoking technique itself. Thanks.
I start off by sloowly inhaling, and finish with a solid inhale

Do you know what HPV is? Is it possible you have it? Because ever since I caught HPV my throat / tongue have been a huge problem I've had to fight with drug use / alcohol / tobacco. It gets sores / oral candida which sucks because if you don't try and eliminate it it can turn into oral cancer... Not trying to scare you just saying this could be the cause of your tongue swelling is you have HPV and the crack is causing the HPV to strengthen.

You should cook with ammonia. Instead of baking soda.
What would using ammonia vs. baking soda do for the tongue swelling? I have cooked with ammonia several times and find the taste very off-putting even after excessive washing and drying. Just not for me. But I am interested if you are making some connection back to the original reason I posted on here.
Do you know what HPV is? Is it possible you have it? Because ever since I caught HPV my throat / tongue have been a huge problem I've had to fight with drug use / alcohol / tobacco. It gets sores / oral candida which sucks because if you don't try and eliminate it it can turn into oral cancer... Not trying to scare you just saying this could be the cause of your tongue swelling is you have HPV and the crack is causing the HPV to strengthen.
HPV actually crossed my mind before based on some internet research I had done. After I tried what Zonxx recommended for a while the tongue swelling did return. However, I believe I may have narrowed down another cause for this and it has to do with my sinuses. I figured out that the swelling started at around the time of year my allergies flared up. My sinuses and ears were very congested, and there would be some days worse than others. As my sinuses have started to clear up, I’ve also noticed that the tongue swelling has also occurred with much less frequency without any real changes to smoking technique, etc.

I’m not a doctor so I have no scientific proof to support what I’m saying. And your words of advice (much appreciated) give me pause to look more in depth into HPV. Thank you.

What would using ammonia vs. baking soda do for the tongue swelling? I have cooked with ammonia several times and find the taste very off-putting even after excessive washing and drying. Just not for me. But I am interested if you are making some connection back to the original reason I posted on here.

HPV actually crossed my mind before based on some internet research I had done. After I tried what Zonxx recommended for a while the tongue swelling did return. However, I believe I may have narrowed down another cause for this and it has to do with my sinuses. I figured out that the swelling started at around the time of year my allergies flared up. My sinuses and ears were very congested, and there would be some days worse than others. As my sinuses have started to clear up, I’ve also noticed that the tongue swelling has also occurred with much less frequency without any real changes to smoking technique, etc.

I’m not a doctor so I have no scientific proof to support what I’m saying. And your words of advice (much appreciated) give me pause to look more in depth into HPV. Thank you.

No problem man. Hopefully you don't have it but most people clear it naturally. It is very common though and a lot of people have it and don't even know it. I find that if I eat lots of acidic foods it causes it to get worse and if I eat more healthy it practically goes away. If later on you come to believe you have it, feel free to message me I'm extensively researched on the topic. Some of the best natural supplements you could try and see if they take the swelling down are AHCC (a mushroom extract shown to cure HPV), Spirulina / Blue Spirulina, or Castor Oil can help too. Best of luck

No problem man. Hopefully you don't have it but most people clear it naturally. It is very common though and a lot of people have it and don't even know it. I find that if I eat lots of acidic foods it causes it to get worse and if I eat more healthy it practically goes away. If later on you come to believe you have it, feel free to message me I'm extensively researched on the topic. Some of the best natural supplements you could try and see if they take the swelling down are AHCC (a mushroom extract shown to cure HPV), Spirulina / Blue Spirulina, or Castor Oil can help too. Best of luck
Thanks, and very appreciated again. It’s unnerving to try to enjoy something and instead have to be more focused on the health aspects of what it seems to be doing to you. I will definitely take you up on your offer for more insight at the appropriate time...

Thanks, and very appreciated again. It’s unnerving to try to enjoy something and instead have to be more focused on the health aspects of what it seems to be doing to you. I will definitely take you up on your offer for more insight at the appropriate time...

For real. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to enjoy a nice hit of crack here and there without some nonsense popping up. Take me back to the 70s!! I don't even think HPV, AIDS or herpes even existed back then.

Also, the other guy mentioned hot smoke and that you should keep your tongue pressed against the bottom of your mouth as much as possible but he didn't mention that you should slow roast it with a normal size bic lighter flame instead of blasting it with the biggest Flame you can create.

Lighting up your hits the most heat and flame possible is not what you want to do unless the batch is awful, in which case, do a cold water rinse or recook (I'll explain this aspect another time)

Anyway, my point is, take ONLY the tip of your flame, and inhail the pipe slowly and rotate the pipe too, and pull the lighter away for a few seconds and repeat until there is no more smoke filling them stem

The slow roasting method is the best way to smoke it. To much flame makes your push all black and oily and will make you gag, plus it makes your chore boy taste like asshole every hit u take.

Just a quick word of advice from someone who is currently 30 but been smoking butter since I was 16 lol