• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Courtney Love to stand trial on drug charges (updated 11/19/05)

fruitfly said:
The only thing that's sorry is your deliberate misspelling of 'sucks.'

24.gif
you!

Update: Fugitive Love Lands in Hospital

Fugitive Love Lands in Hospital
Sun, Jul 11, 2004, 11:07 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Rocker-actress Courtney Love, recently on the lam from the law, is hospitalized in New York.

An arrest warrant went out for Love on Friday (July 9), the performer's 40th birthday for failing to appear in court. Later that evening, she entered Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan for an unspecified gynecological problem, reports Reuters.

Love's attorney Michael Rosenstein makes it clear that Love's hospitalization is not drug-related.

"I've been hearing people calling me all afternoon telling that me she's been rushed to the hospital on a drug overdose, and that's not the case," he says, adding, "It's a feminine issue. I don't know expressly what the details are. But it's a medical condition relating to gynecological issues."

Mere hours earlier, Love had failed to appear for an arraignment hearing on a felony assault charge in Los Angeles, leading to a bench warrant for her arrest. Rosenstein claims that the other two cases his client is involved in caused her some confusion about whether she was required in the California court.

The court commissioner also ordered Love's $55,000 bail forfeited and reset at $150,000, which Rosenstein says will be paid "by the beginning of next week."

The performer was due in court for arraignment on a felony assault charge stemming from a tussle with another woman in April. Love was at the Los Angeles home of her ex-boyfriend Jim Barber when she swung a liquor bottle and flashlight at the woman.

It's not the first time Love has skipped proceedings. In a criminal case in February, another arrest warrant was issued and then withdrawn after Love appeared for a later hearing. She is currently involved in two additional cases -- a felony drug case in Beverly Hills and a misdemeanor case in downtown Los Angeles.

Love, lead singer of the group Hole and widow of Nirvana rocker Kurt Cobain, released her latest album, "America's Sweetheart," in February. She has appeared in such movies as "The People vs. Larry Flynt" and "Man on the Moon."

Link

L.A. judge postpones Courtney Love's sentencing in drug case
July 17, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A judge in Courtney Love's drug case ordered the rock star to appear in a Los Angeles court for sentencing within 24 hours after she is released from a New York City hospital.

Love's lawyer, Michael Rosenstein, has said Love was hospitalized for a gynecological medical condition and will return to Los Angeles after being released.

Love pleaded guilty May 25 to a misdemeanour count of being under the influence of a controlled substance. She is expected to be ordered into a drug-treatment program.

Love, the widow of Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain and the former lead singer of the band Hole, has two other cases pending against her. A hearing is set for July 23 in a drug-possession case, and she has been charged with hitting a woman with a bottle in April.

A warrant was issued for her arrest after she failed to appear for her arraignment in Los Angeles on the assault charge. The warrant was issued last Friday, the same day she was hospitalized in New York.

Link

Courtney Love sent to drug program
By CHRIS T. NGUYEN, Associated Press
July 28, 2004

LOS ANGELES - Singer-actress Courtney Love was sentenced to 18 months in a drug rehabilitation program Tuesday after pleading guilty to a charge stemming from her alleged attempt to break into her ex-boyfriend's home last fall.

Superior Court Judge Patricia M. Schnegg gave Love until Oct. 29 to enroll in a drug counseling program, which will require frequent drug testing. She will be permitted to travel.

The judge also barred Love from taking non-prescription drugs, drinking alcohol or being in places that serve alcohol.

''I have to stop drinking. That's funny,'' Love said outside court while lighting up a cigarette. ''I think I can do it.''

Assistant City Attorney Jerry Baik said the sentence was negotiated under a plea agreement with Love's attorneys.

Love was arrested in October after she allegedly tried to break into the home of former manager and boyfriend Jim Barber. Authorities said cocaine and other opiates were found in her system.

She pleaded guilty May 25 to a misdemeanor count of being under the influence of a controlled substance and agreed to enter a treatment program.

An additional charge of being a disorderly drunk in public was dismissed Tuesday at the prosecutor's request.

Dressed in a two-piece lavender suit with purple high heels and wearing earrings, Love showed up to the hearing 15 minutes late, immediately sat down and began to read the British music magazine NME.

Although at times she has been admonished by judges for courtroom outbursts, Love appeared demure during her sentencing. Several times she put her hands over her face and shook her head.

''Thank you'' she told the judge when it was over.

The singer has had a series of legal troubles that prompted her to postpone a tour with her band.

She faces a felony case in Beverly Hills Superior Court for allegedly possessing illegal painkillers.

She could face up to three years and eight months in prison if convicted in the latter case of possessing hydrocodone and oxycodone.

Last month, Love was arraigned in New York City on charges of assault and reckless endangerment for allegedly striking a fan with a microphone stand at an East Village club in March. She was scolded by the judge for showing up more than five hours late.

The most recent case against Love involves an April 25 incident in which she allegedly attacked a 32-year-old woman with a liquor bottle at Barber's Los Angeles home. A bench warrant for her arrest was issued earlier this month after she failed to appear for an arraignment.

Link

i loved her old band hole. they were awsome, and i have to admit that even though i dont really like her. i didn't hear her new album but she's messed up and been through alota crap so she pr has some pretty strange issues right now to write good songs about...

i was in rehab with courtney love in july.. she was up in conn. for most of the month (mariah carey, billy joel have also been there), thats why she missed her court dates.. she has a lot of issues, but dont we all?

What is she doing with Prescription pills, Doesn't she have enough money to buy some real drugs?

Pasilda Nacera said:
What is she doing with Prescription pills, Doesn't she have enough money to buy some real drugs?

oxy's more expensive then H in alot of areas of the country, people switch to H to save money.

Trial Set for Courtney Love in Drug Case
Associated Press
August 16, 2004

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - A trial date has been set for Sept. 30 for Courtney Love, who faces two felony drug charges for illegal possession of painkillers.

Love, 40, remains free on her own recognizance.

The rock singer arrived in court Monday wearing a purple knit top over a black halter and black heels. She fidgeted in her chair during the 10-minute hearing before Superior Court Judge Elden S. Fox.

When he asked whether the trial date was acceptable, Love initially replied, "I don't know." She agreed to the date after consulting with her lawyer and thanked the judge before leaving.

Love could face up to three years and eight months in prison if convicted on both charges of possessing oxycodone and hydrocodone.

She faces a separate assault felony charge for allegedly attacking a woman with a liquor bottle April 25 at her ex-boyfriend's home in Los Angeles. Her arraignment in that case is scheduled for Friday.

In July, she was also sentenced to 18 months in a drug rehabilitation program after pleading guilty to being under the influence of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor charge connected to an alleged break-in at the same ex-boyfriend's home last fall.

Police called to her home hours after that arrest allegedly found painkillers there, leading to the felony drug charges.

She also faces charges of assault and reckless endangerment in New York City for allegedly striking a fan with a microphone stand at a nightclub in March.

Love, the widow of Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain, was formerly the lead singer of the band Hole. She had to delay a concert tour with her new band this year because of her legal problems.

Link

Nothing stops Courtney Love -- she's been arrested, hauled off to Bellevue, but she hasn't quit speaking her mind
By Neva Chonin, San Francisco Chronicle
Monday, October 25, 2004

There's a scene in director Alex Cox's 1987 film, "Straight to Hell, " in which a disheveled gun moll played by Courtney Love drives over a cliff with her gangster boyfriend. Courtney's screams provide a soundtrack as the car flies through the air, crashes and burns ... and burns. Courtney continues screaming. Her lungs are still going strong long after the car, her character inside, is an ashen husk. The moral: Nothing -- not crashing, not burning, not death itself -- will shut this girl up.

Bravado and tenacity have always been Courtney Love's strong points. They still are. "I'm living the high life here at the Sunset Marquis,'' she shouts over the phone from Los Angeles. The sound of conversation and bustling bodies cuts over the wire. "And I'm confused. There's too much s -- going on."

That's an understatement. The freshly clean-and-sober Love sounds defiantly upbeat, but her residence at the West Hollywood hotel has a less cheery subtext: Having temporarily lost custody of her daughter, Frances Bean, the singer is staying in a hotel close to the home where her daughter lives with a guardian. It makes visiting easier.

Separation from her child with her late husband, Kurt Cobain, is just one among many hurdles facing Love, who plays the Fillmore on Tuesday as part of a string of California shows with her new band, the Chelsea. The singer is toiling to put her career back on track after a string of self-induced catastrophes. "America's Sweetheart," her ragged but often riveting solo debut (and first album in six years), has sold a paltry 100,000 copies, in contrast to earlier platinum-scoring CDs with her group, Hole.

In July, on her 40th birthday, a judge issued a bench warrant for Love's arrest after she failed to turn up for a scheduled court appearance. This, even as she was carted from her New York condominium to Bellevue Hospital for an indeterminate ailment, handcuffed and incoherent. At last count, she was embroiled in three criminal court cases on charges ranging from drug possession to assault, had been ordered into rehab and still faces a potential prison sentence. A tour earlier this year was canceled because of her legal morass.

At the Sunset Marquis, Love discusses her travails with a gloomy hilarity. "I'm a brand at this point. A jail brand,'' she says, lighting a cigarette. "The arrests, all that s -- , it's institutionalized and codified around me. But it's not the worst thing in the world. I want to do a Christmas show at a California women's prison, where all the chicks are hot drug mules. I think I'll do the Johnny Cash thing. It's going to be my black-and-white, 'Don't Look Back,' Renoir, 'O, Brother Where Art Thou' cinema-verite phase.''

Oh, why not. There is a hyperbolic, noirish quality to Love's recent history. Earlier this month, she pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct for hitting a man in the head with a microphone stand during a March concert at New York's Plaid nightclub (she was ordered to pay $2,236 in restitution and stay out of trouble for a year). Her current 18-month stretch in rehab stems from an October2003, incident in which she was arrested for disturbing the peace at the home of Jim Barber, her former boyfriend and manager. At the same time, she tested positive for cocaine and opiates; and later that night, she was treated for an overdose that led to yet more drug charges and the loss of her daughter. Love also faces a court date stemming from an April brawl in which she allegedly smacked musician Kristin King -- with a flashlight and a liquor bottle.

So it goes. It goes and it goes and it goes. And Love goes with it, taking responsibility for landing herself in this swamp of woe. "Some of it was just being an impulsive, reckless woman," she says. "How many fugitives from justice do you know who are chicks? I'm a fugitive for life. It just adds to my wannabe-rebel status.

"Like any -- hole in a rock cliche, I was doing cocaine, and I was getting progressively worse. At one point, Carrie (Fisher) came bursting in to my apartment to rescue me and said, 'I can't believe you're doing the most embarrassing drug in the world!' But it was par for the course. This is American culture: You all end up on coke as you get older and anxious. I have a drug addiction that I have to deal with."

Besides making for great tabloid news, being carted off to Bellevue on her birthday forced Love to face up to the fact that her elegantly wasted lifestyle had crossed over into full-blown chemical dementia.

"One can't say one is slumming when one is taken off to Bellevue," she admits. "When it was happening, I thought, this would be an interesting picture -- if it wasn't of me. I didn't need to see Bellevue; I didn't need to have crazy identified with my name. But that drug causes psychosis, and it was that or jail."

When talk turns to her custody troubles and her daughter, Love's voice audibly wilts. "It's painful and horrifying and disgusting bull -- ,'' she says. "I'm in a lot of pain about it. But she's a solid kid with a solid core, and I've done a damn good job. She's a very decent and stable person.

"I have to build my s -- back up. Buy into this program thing, be a good program girl. I'm not going to give them one reason to pick on me. I volunteer actively and aggressively to pee in a cup for them.''

Love perks up as she describes the vicissitudes of her new, sober lifestyle. "I went to a 12-step meeting with Carrie and Marianne Faithfull," she dishes. "There's a really famous one down here where the men have to wear suits and the women have to wear dresses. It was like walking into the Oxford Club. It felt like Christian temperance, the Salvation Army, 1930. Lots of self-flagellation. I loved it.''

There are other bright spots in Love's mercurial life. "Princess Ai," a manga novel she co-created and whose main character is based on Love, is a bestseller in Japan, and she received decent reviews for her July appearance at the Fuji Rock Festival. She's also been hosting a weekly radio show on KDLD/KDLE-FM 103.1 in Los Angeles.

Most important, she's onstage again. Fittingly, it's been 10 years since Love played the Fillmore (though she's played other, larger Bay Area venues in the interim): In 1994, she and Hole turned in a wounded, erratic Fillmore performance only six months after her husband's suicide. The years that followed saw Love transmute from punk icon and widow to rock star and actress, with the success of 1994's "Live Through This'' and 1998's "Celebrity Skin'' CDs and her acclaimed role in 1996's "The People Vs. Larry Flynt.''

Now, like a battered Phoenix, she's back. The San Francisco-born Love admits she's a little nervous. "But I'm gonna rock the Fillmore, which is my birthright," she says. "I've got a Crazy Horse of a band. A lot of these songs are old, and I'm not into that. But they're really good. There are five songs that I really love on ('America's Sweetheart'), so f -- the world. You can always tell an artist's mettle by their relationship to their failed songs that are still good songs. I'm having to own some of that.''

She lights another cigarette. "I've had tons of failure; failed marriage No. 1, failed marriage No. 2, failed family life. But I've never had a professional failure like this. Ouch! But I've not partaken of the bitter pill yet. This is America. I get to have a third act. I get to come back.''

Link

Update

Courtney Love faces assault trial
October 28, 2004

(AP) Singer Courtney Love has been ordered to stand trial on a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon despite her attorney's claim the case had been "grossly overcharged."

Superior Court Commissioner Sanjay Kumar on Wednesday listened to testimony from the alleged victim, Kristin King, and a neighbor in the area of the April 25 incident.

"There is uncontroverted evidence that without provocation the defendant threw a bottle at the victim and chased her with a flashlight," he said.

Love was ordered to appear for arraignment Nov. 10. She remained free on $150,000 bail.

"We hope this will be resolved in a way to allow her to move on with her life," defense attorney Howard Weitzman said outside court.

The case is part of a long string of legal troubles for Love, former lead singer for the group Hole and widow of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain.

Despite the legal setback, Weitzman said Love's well-publicized drug problems were behind her. "She couldn't be in any better shape than she is now. Things are looking better and better for Courtney," he said.

King testified Love came to the home of former boyfriend Jim Barber and found King asleep on a sofa. She said Love grabbed a liquor bottle and threw it at her head, threw a lit candle and pinched her breasts.

Neighbor Marilyn Corre testified she was awakened by yelling and crying.

"Then I saw another woman come charging out," she testified. "She had in her hand an extremely large torch (flashlight), silver in color. ... It was being used like a weapon."

Weitzman urged that the charge be reduced to a misdemeanor. He said the case was a situation of "she said, she said" and that the account given by the victim might not be completely truthful.

Prosecutor Gina Satriano said it was clear Love intended to cause great bodily injury and even if she did not cause the injuries, the intent supported the charge.

Link

Any woman who was married to Kurt and had his child gets some respect from me.

I loved Kurt and Nirvana, Hole was decent. Just thought I'd add mu .02cents :)

updatehttp://msnbc.msn.com/id/6948010/

Courtney Love sentenced to probation
Singer entered no-contest plea to reduced charges
The Associated Press
Feb. 10, 2005

LOS ANGELES - Singer Courtney Love pleaded no contest Thursday to an assault charge related to an incident at the home of an ex-boyfriend. Later in the day, she pleaded guilty to a drug count stemming from an earlier break-in at the residence.

In April 2004 Love allegedly found a 32-year-old woman sleeping on a sofa at the man’s home, and threw a liquor bottle at the woman and chased her with a flashlight.

Initially charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon, she pleaded no contest Thursday to a reduced assault charge. In the deal with prosecutors, she agreed to anger management counseling, random drug testing and three years’ probation.

In 2003, the singer allegedly broke into the former boyfriend’s home, and three drug charges were lodged against her.

Love was sentenced last July to 18 months in a rehabilitation program after pleading guilty to a charge for drugs found in her system at the time. Her guilty plea Thursday to a misdemeanor count of possession of a forged prescription disposed of two felony charges for possession of oxycodone and hydrocodone.

Love agreed to a “deferred entry of judgment” in the drug case, said one of her attorneys, Michael Rosenstein. Under the plea bargain, the entire drug case will be dropped in 18 months if she completes a rehabilitation program.

“She’s doing this as much for herself as for the courts,” Rosenstein said.

Love, 40, made a brief appearance Thursday in Superior Court in the assault case.

The terms of that plea agreement call for her to complete a year in a drug treatment program, perform 100 hours of community service, pay a $1,000 fine and attend three Narcotics Anonymous meetings a week.

Deputy District Attorney Gina Satriano said the assault victim did not suffer any permanent physical injuries.

“Due to the defendant’s history with drugs and her anger control issues, we’re pleased this sentence addresses extensive drug treatment and anger management counseling,” Satriano said in a statement.

Love, former lead singer of the group Hole, is the widow of former Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain.

Link

Courtney Love Reportedly Fails Drug Test
The Associated Press
August 11, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- Courtney Love has been ordered to appear in court later this month to face an allegation that she violated her probation in an assault case by being under the influence of a controlled substance.

Superior Court Judge Rand S. Rubin issued a bench warrant for Love's arrest, but agreed to hold it pending the Aug. 19 hearing. During that hearing, a date will be set for another hearing to decide whether Love, 41, violated probation.

Prosecutors said the alleged violation involved a narcotic, but didn't identify it.

Love, the former lead singer for the band Hole and the widow of Kurt Cobain, wasn't at Wednesday's hearing. She pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor assault charge on Feb. 10.

Rubin also said he wanted a report from Love's drug counselor.

"I'm certainly not happy with what's going on," he said.

At a red carpet event earlier this week, Love said: "I'm clean and sober for over a year and no one seems to care! They're like, `Oh, her dramatic weight gain.' So, stop making fun of me!"

In July, a judge praised the singer for making progress in a court-ordered drug treatment program. The treatment is tied to a misdemeanor count of being under the influence of a controlled substance in 2003 when police alleged she tried to break into a former boyfriend's home.

Link

zx13xz said:
But she is so fucked up that she can't take care of her own daughter. She needs some sense knocked into her. Kurt Kobain was a tremendous asshole anyway. His death is the only thing that made him into such a legend.

I think it's funny that you would say that considering before he died he was famous in every country of the world, selling millions of records and breaking all time sell records [Flames removed]

Last edited by a moderator: