• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Policy Course On Harm Reduction and Drug Policy

Joey

Bluelighter

Drugs, drug use, drug policy and health

Created by Michel Kazatchkine (Université de Genève) and offered for free on Coursera.

Description from the course homepage:

This MOOC is the first of its kind, since it addresses critical issues related to drugs from a multidisciplinary, health and human rights-based approach. Throughout the course you will cover a range of questions including what are drugs and why they controlled? What are the benefits and harms of taking drugs? How public health policies can address drug use? You will also learn about the intricacies of the international drug control framework and the negative consequences of widespread prohibitionist drug policies around the world. Finally, you will examine ways of furthering drug policy reform. The topics will be presented by over 40 speakers from scientific, academic and institutional backgrounds, spokespersons of civil society as well as people who use drugs presenting their views. By the end of the course you will have: - a strong understanding of the major health issues related to drug use and drug policy; - a clear vision of why drug policy is debated today; - and, if you so wish, you will be equipped to engage in the drug policy reform movement at your local or regional level.

This course teaches the foundations to what constitutes basically all drug policy in the world from 1961 and on. At the very least, as most of the people reading this thread probably know it to be. One of the first things taught in this course by Geneva University is in reference to the International Drug Control Framework + the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Geneva Convention in 1961 which started the framework for drug policy as we know it today, internationally.

I first came across this course about two years ago, and to this day I keep coming back on occasion to re-register for the essential and extra reading portions. The information here is amazing and if you or I were to actually read all of it, through and through and study our own countries policies as well? A much greater understanding of drug policy in general on every level.

I don’t know how many people here participate in any actual advocacy and activism for a greater inclusion of harm reduction in drug policy - or for drug policy change in general. This course here has a really crucial set of information to get started on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I'll look into it. Through a series of events, I find myself looking to institute some basic harm reduction in my small community. I'm thinking test strips for illicit fentanyl for starters.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Through a series of events, I find myself looking to institute some basic harm reduction in my small community. I'm thinking test strips for illicit fentanyl for starters.
Great idea and a much needed service.

test strips for illicit fentanyl for starters.
got on a mini mission in my previous neighborhood. aquaintences and semi buds were copping blow and going to sleep. never waking up. wanted to know who da f was taking these peoples lives without more motive than to profit maybe 60 usd.
only a few were interested in teating for fent and less that actually did.
never figured out for sure who was slingin death but have ideas.
moved away right after and havent kept in touch.
i like to think that a few will question product after i left but irl we prolly gonna do it anyway. lol
best wishes and hope to see ya around here once in a while.
peace

got on a mini mission in my previous neighborhood. aquaintences and semi buds were copping blow and going to sleep. never waking up. wanted to know who da f was taking these peoples lives without more motive than to profit maybe 60 usd.
only a few were interested in teating for fent and less that actually did.
never figured out for sure who was slingin death but have ideas.
moved away right after and havent kept in touch.
i like to think that a few will question product after i left but irl we prolly gonna do it anyway. lol
best wishes and hope to see ya around here once in a while.
peace
Thanks for your insight. Maybe just one is saved... it'd be worth it. As long as there breath, there's hope.