• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Could The Answer To The Nitrous Question Be An Understanding Of Neurochemistry?

ParappaTheRapper

Ex-Bluelighter
Nitrous gives an epiphany feeling. Usually users report a "question" that needs an "answer."

Could the purpose of the nitrous question be to understand your neurochemistry as perception vs. body (physical)?

Ya, but projection aside; you're saying it's any less elucidating on transmitter to perception relationships than LSD?

The epiphany sensation, I believe, is the same as the novelty sensation, only taken to a higher degree. Both involve a processing of information in such a way that, more than knowing, they indicate an understanding. Novelty is the first grasp of the idea, and epiphany is the new take on things, like a breakthrough perspective. Recent research has shown that stimulation of the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area of the brain is responsible for this deep and significant realization phenomenon. This 'novelty area' of the brain also responds to behavioral and emotional stimuli, which may help explain why hallucinogens often induce moments of profundity (along with their syncretic effect).

^Yes, that feeling on nitrous is one of novelty.

The epiphany that nitrous often shows me is how trapped I am in my own thoughts. When I take a fat rip of n2o, my thoughts stop for a while and I can relax really.

I think the most important thing nitrous has done for me was hitting two whip cream cans in a grocery store years ago and walking down the aisles and the "womp womp" was comming and I watched the world become pixelated and releazied I could make it into whatever I wanted to. At that point it faded before I could actually move things around, but I KNEW it was possible

That was over ten years ago, and looking at my life, that was definatly an important building block of my belief system I hold today. It's funny to look at your opinions on life/reality and go back and actually see how/why you started believing what you do.

Other than that nitrous is always just on the edge of "something" happening. I (don't) remember so many times I felt like I had some 2 second epiphany and figured it all out and lost it... fun but not something I really want to revisit.

Went to the dentist for the first time in a few years and they were scraping my gums and shit. The lady doing it turned the nitrous wayyyyyy up and I was having a great time with my ipod. That, I would do again... maybe.

ParappaTheRappa, I'm not sure that nitrous does act on the locus coeruleus. In fact, I believe nitrous, despite being heavily understudied for such a common drug, has recently been discovered to affect norepinephrine levels in the spinal column (resulting in the analgesic effect). I have a book published by Yale Press about Dr. Beddoes and his early experimentation with the gas; I'll have to take another look at that.

I only meant that is where the sense of novelty itself originates. Maybe the drugs have action at other neural sites than those we've come to agree they definitely hit? But that's just speculation.

I've come to appreciate nitrous as a flavor. Bad vibes just melt away off a nang. Although I've heard you can build concentrations in your lungs by sipping oxygen and letting the heavier gas accumulate, which would allow hallucinogenic and anesthetic effect.

Also, many years ago at the first rave I had ever been to, I sat in a circle with balloons being passed around. One man finished his hit, then fished out, and when he came to, he said he left his body and saw himself sitting in the circle.

That always stuck with me. Like, how the hell is it possible to see yourself from a third person perspective? That's incredible.

Last edited:
I fished on N2O at a campground around 16 years ago and went to hell...really messed wih me for awhile afterwards