• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Could extreme reductions in nicotine cause psychotic/schizophrenic like effects

d1nach

Bluelighter
Basically i ran out of tobacco im used to using regularly atleast 60 mg of nicotine from dry tobacco sublingually everyday and like today. I only have s few pinches of chewing tobacco but i keep having delusions like everyone is mad at or harmful, ill hear loud buzzing or ill hear my dog get up abd walk around only for him to be asleep. Or ill hear doors close and it sounds like they are slamming it, also ill go pick something up like my keys only to find out nothing is in my hand. Anyway anyideas thanks

I'm glad (not happy for your suffering but happy in another way) that someone else experiences these problems. I have often seen my cat in ridiculous places that I know she couldn't be, like on top of the fridge or on the ceiling fan. Other times, I see her and reach out to pet her only to touch thin air. Once, I heard a woman being raped on my roof and actually walked outside and screamed that I'd call the cops if they didn't stop. Another time I heard my friend in a neighbor's house making fun of me in a way I'd never heard her do to my face. I tried to approach the situation by banging on the neighbor's door and ended up in the psychiatric ward. I firmly do not believe this is nicotine withdrawal because I rarely smoke cigarettes; but I'm also not convinced it's schizophrenia.
I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but they're called "delusions" or "psychotic breaks" from reality. There are techniques I've taught myself (not foolproof) that can help you figure out what's real and what's not. First, think if it's rational. You're talking about hearing your dog walk around, which is pretty realistic, so you have to go to step number two. Next, realize these things happen sometimes and make yourself okay with the fact it might not be real; this makes it much easier to handle if you find out it's not real. If you live with someone who doesn't have this problem, ask them what actually happened. Of course, you have to be able to trust this person or that won't work, but we usually don't live with people we don't trust at all. Finally, realize there are legal limits that must be obeyed, not because they're morally correct but because it is the law. If you ever go looking for the dogs barking you'll likely end up in the looney bin like I did, so try to let it go. I know that's tough but it's better than a 302.
Now... I have also been looking for an answer to what has caused all of this craziness, so I'm curious to know if you've had experience with other drugs besides nicotine. Sometimes I think it was my year and a half on strong Crystal, but the flaw in that theory is that it happened a few times before I ever met Crystal. Sometimes I think it's just a buildup of drugs over a thirty-four year lifetime, but there's no proof for that so I'm not sure.
It may very well be a mental issue of its own, but again I can't be sure. It may be my OBSESSION with "truth" and my philosophical skepticism (meaning I doubt the actual reality of what I see, smell, hear and touch). You can read DesCartes and Hume if you don't understand this concept.
Maybe you can help me understand this better or we can help each other.

I'm replying to myself now which is kind of weird; but for the sake of honesty I feel the need to tell you I am "Roy Toddleston" and "Roy Toddy." I've posted a few times already. I keep changing my name because I keep forgetting my password and haven't figured out how to get the website to remember it for me. I sent a private message asking the administrators to teach me how to do that, so hopefully the name changing will end.

i really doubt it, at the most you'd get stressed. if someone experiences psychosis whilst quitting smoking its probably due to an already pre-existing mental disorder: hightened levels of stress could play a part but there's no way cravings for a fag would send you round the bend

^ seriously! This reaction can mean you have a very serious mental illness and better get treatment before it completely destroys your life. I wasn't trolling or over-reacting. Having delusions and hallucinations from nicotine withdrawal is NOT normal. Most people just crave a smoke, and are irritable for a few days, and that's really all.

yeah i know, i was agreeing with you

Stimulants reduce it i am narcoleptic and have major depression and add(however i think it may be just the narcolepsy)

D1nach, I don't think it's unusual to experience sensitivity to sound when you're having any sort of withdrawals. You can compare it to other instances of stress especially when you are sleep deprived. I don't smoke anymore but when I had bouts of insomnia, there were time when normal noises would have me jumping out of my skin. Are you taking any medications or illicit drugs that may be amplifying your symptoms?

Not that I take any pride in the fact, but I'd wager to say that I'm the biggest nicotine addict on BL. I take ~100 mg of pure freebase / day bucally. I've had to go CT twice now (hospital visits) and all I've noticed is intense cravings, no hallucinations or the like. As a side-note I have BP-II, which is probably why I'm hopelessly addicted.

Thank you everyone my lithium level was out of wack because im missing pills and was so focused on cleaning I became severely Salt and water deficient. The pharmacist said hes positive lithium toxicity could cause the effects i had and after getting a organizer for my meds, rest, exercise, food, and water i feel mostly better again.

yeah didnt think it could be down to baccy mate - hope yupr feeling back to normal man d1nach

Yep im back to normal. I was attacking really depressed and frustrated because i was trying to explain to my house that the reason everything smells and is wearing away at the furniture isnt because of me its because of the sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate next to the open sodiumhypochlorite next to the drier sheets with the magnesium hexachloride and drying sodium chloride deicers in the other room. I tried giving them papers but sure enough after spending days fixing it they just are convinced
They fixed it by whiping everything own for like a hour.