• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Console Console Gamers - Whatcha playin?

Game Pass is great so it is. What’s your opinion on Starfield?
I've enjoyed it so far. Have only completed a few missions. I like the idea of creating your own ship and design and such. Still haven't figured out where to buy guns or ammo yet. Though I did find someone that would buy all the microscopes I managed to pocket in the last mission I played lmao.

Bought a bunch of Switch games during COVID isolation.

Did a 100% run of Bowser's Fury in 2 days. It's a great, weird little addition to the Mario series. So many cats. Cat bowser. Cat goombas. Cat koopas. It's like Gabby's Dollhouse meets Mario. If you like cats and you like Mario games, this one is a no-brainer. Comes free with the Switch version of Super Mario 3D World.

7/10

Tried Metroid Prime Remastered, but couldn't get into it. If this game isn't nostalgic for you, there isn't much to like. I'm sure it was a great title 20 years ago, but it just doesn't hold up today. Controls are clunky. Aiming downright sucks. Lots of backtracking. Not at all fun for me. I'd honestly rather do the dishes.

?/10

Playing Pikmin 4, now. Best Pikmin by far. Super addictive. Oozing charm. I love the sense of mystery and discovery. Makes me feel like a kid again.

9/10

Bought a bunch of Switch games during COVID isolation.

Did a 100% run of Bowser's Fury in 2 days. It's a great, weird little addition to the Mario series. So many cats. Cat bowser. Cat goombas. Cat koopas. It's like Gabby's Dollhouse meets Mario. If you like cats and you like Mario games, this one is a no-brainer. Comes free with the Switch version of Super Mario 3D World.

7/10

Tried Metroid Prime Remastered, but couldn't get into it. If this game isn't nostalgic for you, there isn't much to like. I'm sure it was a great title 20 years ago, but it just doesn't hold up today. Controls are clunky. Aiming downright sucks. Lots of backtracking. Not at all fun for me. I'd honestly rather do the dishes.

?/10

Playing Pikmin 4, now. Best Pikmin by far. Super addictive. Oozing charm. I love the sense of mystery and discovery. Makes me feel like a kid again.

9/10

are you gonna get Mario Wonder?

@mal3volent

Fuck yeah!
Will play it three-player with my daughter and my wife.

Also got two copies of Splatoon 3 and an extra Switch console so we can play multi-player.

Actually - fuck it - I'm going to order it right now on Amazon.
Thanks for reminding me. :)

I still haven't finished Odyssey , but Wonder looks more up my alley as I've always liked the "2D" Mario games much better

I have to say Mario Wonder is a bit of a let down, so far. I'm not that far into it - and it's a solid game - I was just expecting a lot more since everyone's been saying it's the best 2D Mario since Super Mario World.

Playing 3 player with another adult and a 5 year old is chaos. It's a great family game. That's what they were going for, I guess?

Playable Yoshi characters can't get hurt by enemies which is great for little kids. The game is super easy, which (again) is great for little kids.

Super Mario World is a bloody difficult game to complete 100%. The secrets are amazing. The world map is amazing. It introduced Yoshi. The level design is amazing.

Mario Wonder has a hell of a lot of interesting ideas. It's the first time in many years Nintendo has tried something REALLY different with a 2D Mario. There are moments that had me and my daughter laughing out loud while playing... but it's just missing something.

Maybe it is trying too hard?

I dunno.

At this point, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

I preferred New Super Luigi U.

Been playing Sonic Superstars with the daughter and it’s a lot of fun. Not as difficult as past games.

God of war Ragnarok

Whats a good online multiplayer game for ps?

Finally finished The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. This is an enormous game, but unfortunately my initial impression stuck: it's more-or-less just Breath of the Wild, but with an additional subterranean world that isn't worth exploring, a sky world that isn't worth exploring, and a tool-and-vehicle-building mechanic that's mostly tedious and rarely fun. On top of that, unlike in Breath of the Wild, the story was utterly banal. Don't get me wrong -- it's still a fun game, if not a great one. But I hold Zelda to a higher standard, and this is one of my least favourites of the 3D Zeldas, down there with Skyward Sword. After playing this and Super Mario Odyssey, I'm starting to get the uneasy sense that Nintendo is turning their best games into collect-a-thons. Making a game gigantic and playable for hundreds of hours does not make it a great game. Plus, can we get the real Zelda dungeons back? Soon there won't be anyone left who remembers how to make them.

After that, I played Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition. Now, this speaks to my point about bigger =/= better when it comes to games. Under 10 hours, but a beautiful and moving experience throughout. And it was made by a dev team of three.

my niece is obsessed with that show
the game is good ?
Keeps my 4 year old occupied anyway. It could have been way better like a platformer but I suppose it’s fun enough. You can play with 2 players which is great.

my niece is obsessed with that show
the game is good ?
Can second this recommendation (Bluey Game) for younger kids. Our 5 year old can play it for a good chunk of time without drafting my help to get through sections of it. Other suggestions for that younger age bracket are Animal Party (kind of like a mix of human fall flat and super smash bros) and there is a pretty decent Disney Park (it's called "Disneyland Adventure") game that has a ton of mini games in it that she can handle on her own.

As for me: Still playing NHL 24 if anyone wants the smoke lol. I did just dl MLB the Show 24 and Diablo IV though so am open to playing some of those if anyone wants (probably more fair since I will absolutely rock you in NHL). Unfortunately my gaming time is extremely limited these days to about an hour between 1030 and 1130 PM

Last edited:
Can second this recommendation for younger kids. Our 5 year old can play it for a good chunk of time without drafting my help to get through sections of it. Other suggestions for that younger age bracket are Animal Party (kind of like a mix of human fall flat and super smash bros) and there is a pretty decent Disney Park (it's called "Disneyland Adventure") game that has a ton of mini games in it that she can handle on her own.

As for me: Still playing NHL 24 if anyone wants the smoke lol. I did just dl MLB the Show 24 and Diablo IV though so am open to playing some of those if anyone wants (probably more fair since I will absolutely rock you in NHL). Unfortunately my gaming time is extremely limited these days to about an hour between 1030 and 1130 PM

LOL, I guess I'm just a big kid.

Mario Wonder is at the top of my list right now. Don't judge me, please.