Mental Health Coming off Invega Sustenna (paliperidone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEy guys, i hope you are doing good. After 1 year i havent experienced any kind of improvement. i still feel panic, anxiety and depression, crying spells. its pure hell. I once read that there are medications that are in the body for centuries. for example one medication against osteoporosis has a half working live from 10 years. god i so hope that this is not the same with invega since i havent felt any improvement.

How many injections were you given? Are you sure you've felt literally 0 improvement?

I would say maybe you should investigate diet better, because there are healing diets/fasts that heal basically everything, like written by people who were on the verge of dying but saved their lives. See Arnold Ehret, William Howard Hays. Ehret was near death in his 30s, then healed and lived. Howard Hays healed 3000 people with his orange juice fast. So the theory goes, yes this is bad, the condition from their drug. But we're not dead. Others have been on the verge of death from various equally or more serious conditions, and healed. So theoretically if you were doing the best you can be with diet, you should have healed at least some what right now. I'd challenge you to read and apply the book The Mucuousless Diet Healing System, and still feel 0 improvement. As far as discipline and health goes, isn't anything better than suffering from this poison? Ie, one ought to be able to apply a healing system and benefit. Hope you get better.

This is a success story. I was hospitalized for postpartum psychosis a year ago and given two shots of Invega Sustenna. I had insomnia, akinesia and anxiety for the first weeks (or maybe months) and would constantly pace all day long. I had to be constantly moving and couldn’t sit still. That finally subsided, but I was left with severe anhedonia. I struggled to shower or care for myself or my family. I was unable to think creatively at all. I had absolutely no motivation even to do the simplest of things like brush my teeth before bed. I could not feel emotions; I could not cry. I felt no endorphins when I exercised. Exercising felt like a miserable chore, when it was always something I enjoyed previously. I gained fifty pounds. I felt nothing when listening to music. Some of these symptoms slowly lessened over time. My menstrual cycle returned after about five months. But my mind was in a constant state of boredom. I would spend my days on the internet, watching YouTube videos, etc. trying to find anything to help distract me as I waited for the Invega to wear off. I would occasionally try walking every so often, but still found it incredibly unenjoyable. I had no appetite, no thirst reflex. I would have to force myself to drink water, and felt no desire for fruits or vegetables which I used to enjoy.Finally, after about a year, a neighbor who has worked with depression patients for many years, came over and encouraged me to try something. She said I needed to get up everyday, shower, get dressed out of my pajamas, and go for a walk. I tried to explain that I had already tried those things, and I felt angry at her because I felt she did not understand. But I decided to try it. The first day, after getting my kids ready for the day and off to school/my mom’s house, I went back to bed. But at noon, I got up, showered, got dressed, and went outside to walk. And I felt something different. I felt that spark again; the sunshine felt good again and I smiled. I spent the rest of the day in bed on the internet as usual. The next day, I did the same thing starting around noon. It took an incredible amount of effort those first two days, but each day it go a little bit easier. And slowly, slowly I was able to climb out of the hole. It took about a week. My concentration was still not great. And I would get a lot of anxiety in the evenings. But it has been three weeks now, and I can feel my concentration improving and the anxiety lessening significantly.I have been amazed at how quickly it has turned around. I feel almost completely back to normal. I feel like my old self again. I have energy and motivation again. I am able to socialize, laugh, joke, create, enjoy food, make dinner, care for my kids, clean, organize, everything. I feel happy again. And I have been enjoying life to the fullest in order to make up for lost time. I feel that at some point, the Invega had worn off enough for my receptors to receive dopamine and serotonin again. But I wasn’t aware of it until I started doing those things that would begin to fill them with those feel good chemicals again. I don’t smoke, drink, or take any recreational drugs; so I am unsure if those would have any effect on the healing process. But I just wanted to give some hope and encouragement. Hang in there. I was extremely suicidal for many, many months in the middle. After about eight months, those suicidal thoughts lessened. And if it wasn’t for my kids, I don’t know if I would have made it. But I’m so glad I did. Life is worth living again. You can heal. Hang in there. It will get better. You can make it.

Thank you for that

This is a success story. I was hospitalized for postpartum psychosis a year ago and given two shots of Invega Sustenna. I had insomnia, akinesia and anxiety for the first weeks (or maybe months) and would constantly pace all day long. I had to be constantly moving and couldn’t sit still. That finally subsided, but I was left with severe anhedonia. I struggled to shower or care for myself or my family. I was unable to think creatively at all. I had absolutely no motivation even to do the simplest of things like brush my teeth before bed. I could not feel emotions; I could not cry. I felt no endorphins when I exercised. Exercising felt like a miserable chore, when it was always something I enjoyed previously. I gained fifty pounds. I felt nothing when listening to music. Some of these symptoms slowly lessened over time. My menstrual cycle returned after about five months. But my mind was in a constant state of boredom. I would spend my days on the internet, watching YouTube videos, etc. trying to find anything to help distract me as I waited for the Invega to wear off. I would occasionally try walking every so often, but still found it incredibly unenjoyable. I had no appetite, no thirst reflex. I would have to force myself to drink water, and felt no desire for fruits or vegetables which I used to enjoy.Finally, after about a year, a neighbor who has worked with depression patients for many years, came over and encouraged me to try something. She said I needed to get up everyday, shower, get dressed out of my pajamas, and go for a walk. I tried to explain that I had already tried those things, and I felt angry at her because I felt she did not understand. But I decided to try it. The first day, after getting my kids ready for the day and off to school/my mom’s house, I went back to bed. But at noon, I got up, showered, got dressed, and went outside to walk. And I felt something different. I felt that spark again; the sunshine felt good again and I smiled. I spent the rest of the day in bed on the internet as usual. The next day, I did the same thing starting around noon. It took an incredible amount of effort those first two days, but each day it go a little bit easier. And slowly, slowly I was able to climb out of the hole. It took about a week. My concentration was still not great. And I would get a lot of anxiety in the evenings. But it has been three weeks now, and I can feel my concentration improving and the anxiety lessening significantly.I have been amazed at how quickly it has turned around. I feel almost completely back to normal. I feel like my old self again. I have energy and motivation again. I am able to socialize, laugh, joke, create, enjoy food, make dinner, care for my kids, clean, organize, everything. I feel happy again. And I have been enjoying life to the fullest in order to make up for lost time. I feel that at some point, the Invega had worn off enough for my receptors to receive dopamine and serotonin again. But I wasn’t aware of it until I started doing those things that would begin to fill them with those feel good chemicals again. I don’t smoke, drink, or take any recreational drugs; so I am unsure if those would have any effect on the healing process. But I just wanted to give some hope and encouragement. Hang in there. I was extremely suicidal for many, many months in the middle. After about eight months, those suicidal thoughts lessened. And if it wasn’t for my kids, I don’t know if I would have made it. But I’m so glad I did. Life is worth living again. You can heal. Hang in there. It will get better. You can make it.
Thanks for your share Alisa :)
But I have 2 questions, have you recovered your emotions and feel pleasure when you listen to music ?

How many injections were you given? Are you sure you've felt literally 0 improvement?

I would say maybe you should investigate diet better, because there are healing diets/fasts that heal basically everything, like written by people who were on the verge of dying but saved their lives. See Arnold Ehret, William Howard Hays. Ehret was near death in his 30s, then healed and lived. Howard Hays healed 3000 people with his orange juice fast.

As a slight note of caution here i would not advise anyone to try anything like a Orange juice fast as you can't live on Vitamin C and sugar alone. Trust me i tried back in my alcoholic days and it didn't work out that well to say the least 8)

Hi there guys, how are you all ?
So I did what I said before I have been taking 6mg of invega for about a year but decided to stop it to get my life back and lose my weight, before I stop I did a week of tapering off using 3mg of invega, and then I finnaly stopped my 3 mg daily invega tablet about a week ago, the thing is that and I still feel the same.
The concentration watching movie is still bad, and I still feel sad without motivation for anything, its like I still have this tablet effect on my body, is it possible?
I didn't felt any relapse, no hallucinations neither sounds or visions, its everything okay on that side, I think I am cured from the psychosis, but still not recovered from taking invega. The half life of the tablet is suppose to be 24 hours, wouldn't be out of my system by now? its been 8 days since my last 3 mg.
I wanna lose my weight fast but seems impossible =(
Thanks for reading

Hi there guys, how are you all ?
So I did what I said before I have been taking 6mg of invega for about a year but decided to stop it to get my life back and lose my weight, before I stop I did a week of tapering off using 3mg of invega, and then I finnaly stopped my 3 mg daily invega tablet about a week ago, the thing is that and I still feel the same.
The concentration watching movie is still bad, and I still feel sad without motivation for anything, its like I still have this tablet effect on my body, is it possible?
I didn't felt any relapse, no hallucinations neither sounds or visions, its everything okay on that side, I think I am cured from the psychosis, but still not recovered from taking invega. The half life of the tablet is suppose to be 24 hours, wouldn't be out of my system by now? its been 8 days since my last 3 mg.
I wanna lose my weight fast but seems impossible =(
Thanks for reading

Even though it is out of your system it will probably take awile for your Dopamine receptors to turn back to normal if you have been taking high doses for a long time. Paliperidone is a very potent D2 antagonist so it will probably take awile for your brain to start producing as much Dopamine as it did before you went on Paliperidone. Risperidone has about the worst withdrawal effects out of all the Atypical anti-psychotics so no doubt Paliperidone has a equally bad withdrawal syndrome so you got lucky on tapering off it that fast.

I would say you should be okay soon enough. Getting plenty of sleep, avoiding stress, laying off alcohol and rec drugs, eating healthy and exercising should help you recover quicker.

Even though it is out of your system it will probably take awile for your Dopamine receptors to turn back to normal if you have been taking high doses for a long time. Paliperidone is a very potent D2 antagonist so it will probably take awile for your brain to start producing as much Dopamine as it did before you went on Paliperidone. Risperidone has about the worst withdrawal effects out of all the Atypical anti-psychotics so no doubt Paliperidone has a equally bad withdrawal syndrome so you got lucky on tapering off it that fast.

I would say you should be okay soon enough. Getting plenty of sleep, avoiding stress, laying off alcohol and rec drugs, eating healthy and exercising should help you recover quicker.

Thanks for your reply.
I made the decision to drop invega by myself, it's risky, but one year it's plenty enough I think, and I didn't got any withdrawal symptoms so far, it's only been a week also, so I don't know if they will come later, I hope not.
I am doing exercise on the gym 4 days on a week, I think it will be enough to lose my weight. I lost around 30 pounds after my first episode, working hard on the gym every day on the week and take only rest on the weekend. I hope I can do the same this time, been on the gym since last august and I didnt lose any pound, I only gain weight, but that's because I was on invega I think.
Let's hope by dopamine receptors turn back to normal soon. I didn't took high doses for a long time, I was on risperidone 6mg a day for a few months then I changed to 6mg invega on the last months.

HEy guys, i hope you are doing good. After 1 year i havent experienced any kind of improvement. i still feel panic, anxiety and depression, crying spells. its pure hell. I once read that there are medications that are in the body for centuries. for example one medication against osteoporosis has a half working live from 10 years. god i so hope that this is not the same with invega since i havent felt any improvement.

I tried to send you a PM, but it was rejected. Your inbox is full. Just 14 more public posts and you will be able to store more PMs. :)

Finally, after about a year, a neighbor who has worked with depression patients for many years, came over and encouraged me to try something. She said I needed to get up everyday, shower, get dressed out of my pajamas, and go for a walk. I tried to explain that I had already tried those things, and I felt angry at her because I felt she did not understand. But I decided to try it. The first day, after getting my kids ready for the day and off to school/my mom’s house, I went back to bed. But at noon, I got up, showered, got dressed, and went outside to walk. And I felt something different. I felt that spark again; the sunshine felt good again and I smiled. I spent the rest of the day in bed on the internet as usual. The next day, I did the same thing starting around noon. It took an incredible amount of effort those first two days, but each day it go a little bit easier. And slowly, slowly I was able to climb out of the hole. It took about a week.
Currently trying this. Feel loads better. Thanks.

Thanks for your share Alisa :)But I have 2 questions, have you recovered your emotions and feel pleasure when you listen to music ?
Yes, I have. Anger and sadness came back to a degree a few months ago. But now I feel them more deeply as well as joy and happiness. Same with music. At first, I couldn't feel any pleasure at all listening to music. It was more like irritating noise. But I started to enjoy it again after about eight months. And now I can enjoy it fully. Everything feels normal again as far emotions and music go.

Hey guys sorry i havent posted in a while just wanted to let yall know that IT DOES GET BETTER and dont lose hope. Stay strong my friends and have faith. Peace.

Yes, I have. Anger and sadness came back to a degree a few months ago. But now I feel them more deeply as well as joy and happiness. Same with music. At first, I couldn't feel any pleasure at all listening to music. It was more like irritating noise. But I started to enjoy it again after about eight months. And now I can enjoy it fully. Everything feels normal again as far emotions and music go.

Thanks for your reply ! ^^ What were your dosages ?
For me, it was 4 injections of Xeplion (European version of Invega Sustenna): 150mg, 100mg, 75mg, 75mg. Now it's been 8 months that I'm off this poison, some emotions are coming back by waves but they are very temporary, it's been 12 days that I feel nothing! I excercise everyday so that all the poison stored in the fat will be quickly eliminated.
Btw, thanks Hilary for the interesting infos !
I just received yesterday my results from the blood test, my creatinine level is normal which means that I have no problems eliminating the poison, for the prolactine it came high (it's the neuroleptic that increases the prolactine level) but just from few ng/ml compared to the results of october 2015 where I had quite the double ! I guess my periods will return sooner.

Last edited:
Every day is getting a little bit better. In 12 days, it will be 10 months off the poison. Starting to get some energy back. Also getting back motivation to cook for myself again, as well as work out. Working very closely with my psychiatrist now to prevent another relapse. Sometimes she scares me... with what she says... psychosomatic symptoms and whatnot, bringing up the past. I know I don't want a repeat of what happened after I went off the Risperdal Consta, but I sure as hell don't want to be put on another injection because I'm becoming psychotic again.

Trying to be more social, talking to strangers and the like. Often I make myself look like a fool, but that's okay. I don't mind it. Better to fill those gaps where/when you know something should be said, even if you mess up and say "good night" when it's actually noon. Hard to tell with this weather anyway.

Hey guys sorry i havent posted in a while just wanted to let yall know that IT DOES GET BETTER and dont lose hope. Stay strong my friends and have faith. Peace.

It is so great to hear that it does get better. I have read every comment on this forum because I understand all to well and it helps to hear I am not alone. I was so worried that it would never get better. I am a mentally healthy individual who had a nightmare that caused me to choke someone in my sleep which led me to the mental institution where I was forced the injection. Its been 3 months now since then and I still cant exercise or enjoy anything at all but atleast I can say that I'm not miserably doomed to the horrible, ungodly feelings that persisted for so long. Good to know the half life is only a couple more months. Patience is key.

At CVS there is a 2 week detox cleanse that I am going to try. Its intended for digestive health but I figure since Paliperidone is a toxin it might help to eliminate it.

Has to be the best thread on the internet right now, thanks to everyone for sharing

Has anyone successfully cold turkey'd antipsychotics? I know tapering is recommended but would much prefer to be off the poison sooner rather than later.

Has to be the best thread on the internet right now, thanks to everyone for sharing

Has anyone successfully cold turkey'd antipsychotics? I know tapering is recommended but would much prefer to be off the poison sooner rather than later.

It's better to ease off of them, week by week, or even a few days of reducing the pills by half, if pills are what you're talking about. I did this with risperdal a few years back. Not sure of the dose. It took a couple weeks, but I was back to normal.

Good to hear that some of you are getting better. It's been almost 3 months for me since my only shot of invega. I've been drinking wheat grass smoothies and taking many vitamins, trying to stay as healthy as possible. Can't seem to get myself out of bed in the mornings. I sleep until 5 or 6pm most days. That's over 14 hours of sleep a day! Everything is still a chore to me, even talking. Can't get myself to go to the gym anymore. It really sucks. Words and conversations are meaningless, which is scary.

Like Hilary also said, I encourage you all to fill out an adverse experience form that you get from Jannsen website so the drug will be recalled and then we can file lawsuits against them. They sent my form after I called them.

Currently waiting to see if disability accepts my claim. If not, I'm going to appeal it and take the case to court with a disability lawyer.

Remain tough and hang in there people. I'll try to post again soon if I can tear away from TV and video games. That's the only thing keeping me going.

..Working very closely with my psychiatrist now to prevent another relapse... I know I don't want a repeat of what happened after I went off the Risperdal Consta, but I sure as hell don't want to be put on another injection because I'm becoming psychotic again.

I know I keep saying this to everyone who might be concerned about relapse... I suggest taking CBD oil to supplement whatever your psychiatrist is giving you (if anything). It's classified as a food supplement, it has no known side effects, and works for psychosis, anxiety, stress, and trouble with sleeping.

Good to hear that some of you are getting better. It's been almost 3 months for me since my only shot of invega.
Remain tough and hang in there people. I'll try to post again soon if I can tear away from TV and video games. That's the only thing keeping me going.

It's really important that everyone share their stories once they feel better because many more people will likely experience this hell before anything changes. There is absolutely no way this drug should be legal in my opinion. The good news is, if you are a survivor of this drug then you are probably never taking your natural life for granted again. It's perhaps a blessing in disguise for people who don't see the beauty in life like myself before I was forced this shot. You don't know what you have until its gone. Atleast we know it will all come back, slowly but surely.

Last edited:
Here's the number to call to report your adverse experience with Invegga. Please do so if you haven't already. 1800)-526-7736

Status
Not open for further replies.