Mental Health Coming off Invega Sustenna (paliperidone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was noticing some slight improvement for about 2 weeks there... Now it looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer before I see another "break" or "dip". Getting some motivation back, though. But it's not necessarily positive motivation. Haven't had the drive to cook for myself. Mainly it's just motivation to play video games, which I didn't have for about 2 or 3 months around holiday times. And the pain is going away, which is nice. I can see why people who don't use the occasional entheogen would feel like they're not seeing [hardly] any improvement. It's hard to explain what I mean by that unless you've experienced it (because, frankly, this is not a very objective point of view). Basically, entheogens can free your energy, make it move more fluidly.

Anti-psychotics like Invega Sustenna and Risperdal Consta essentially block energy and create stagnation. I'm afraid I don't see the need for the application of these drugs, but I'm not saying it doesn't exist. Nor am I recommending anyone to go out and experience psychedelics (entheogens) because they're "having a bad time" on this medication. But it's bizarre how someone who has received as many shots as me can see these sudden rises of awareness and yet others who've received one (or two) shot(s) can still be feeling numb for the entire duration, whatever it is...

Oh... and Tina3000, your inbox is full.

Last edited:
Hey All, fellow Zombie checking back in,

My psychiatrist has given me the option to switch to Invega (currently forced to take 400mg depot monthly of Abilify). Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? Would you consider Invega to be more safe than Abilify?

I'm experiencing all possible anti-psychotic side-effects, so I'm pretty screwed already. Been on the poisons now for close to a year, am thinking of packing bags and moving state to escape this torture..

Hope we're all doing well and are on the road to recovery - looking forward to joining you guys soon!

-Zombie

Week 25 off the poison
No real progress the last week, going to update to week 28 when that should be at least 4 half lifes gone and then I'm going to try and start making some changes in my life, like not spending all day at my parents house, hopefully when another half life passes I start enjoying my own company and get some energy to start exercising and doing jobs around my own house. Even watching box sets will be a start and perhaps I will begin to feel like my old self and begin to recover my life.
Still on 3 beers and a joint at night, not sure if thats going to slow my recovery, but I seem to be starting to sleep through most nights and the pillow dribbling doesn't seem as bad. Still taking some time to come round on getting up and I don't seem to deal with stress that well, but I had it just as bad when I wasn't drinking or smoking weed. I still feel as though I'm drugged up off the poison even at nearly 6 months off it, but the science says I've still got it in my system and I suppose all you can do is not panic and just try and wait it out until your finally out of this nightmare.
Hey zombiemode I've read your thread on s/a and your in a bad position, escaping to a new state might be your only option, being forced to take A.P's is absolutely criminal, its bad enough the doctors poisoning you in hospital against your will, but for them to be able to force this shit on you on the outside is a sick joke. I'd be careful switching to invega, the chemically induced depression and lack of interest in anything is pretty scary and its half life will be longer than the stuff you are taking now. It hits a lot of different receptors and will be more powerful I think and I still don't feel normal nearly 6 months off it. Good luck whatever you decide, your in an even worse situation than most of us, just be careful if you decide to take the invega and if you start getting the depression remember its the drugs thats causing it.
Just got to be grateful we're not in zombiemodes position I suppose, but its still a struggle living with this mega half life poison, still think its going to be another 3 months before I start feeling normal and able to live a normal life and the boredom is starting to get to me, got to be careful of a relapse aswell and try to live a stress free life as possible whilst recovering.
Anyhow only another 3 updates to go and I'll only have a sixteenth left in my system, just need to find myself a new hobby besides weed smoking and drinking beer.

*Update: 8th month mark
5 days ago was the 5th half life (250 days off the poison), according to my calculations, I have around 8.6mg of the invega sustenna in my blood. In France they don't do blood analysis for antipsychotics (only for the police), however tomorrow I'm going to the lab the to do blood test for my prolactine and creatinine, to see if I'll recover sooner especially my periods, I lost them since the beginning of the "treatment" (poisoning).
I feel exactly like my prior state: I'm not bored anymore, my thoughts are deeper, I talk more, everybody around me find me more lively !
My emotions are coming back slowly piece by piece, it's unstable because they are temporary but the main thing is that it's a good sign, I think my recovery will be sooner than I expected, I hope so...
For the moment, I feel some rush of adrenaline, excitation, sometimes fear, sometimes sorrow, but not happiness yet. I guess it's an emotion that requires a lot of dopamine, I'll be patient.
2 weeks ago I signed up in a sport room for fitness (cardiotraining/musculation/dance), I'm feeling better and thanks to the sport, I recovered my sleep :)
It's good to exercise because a lot of the poison is stored in the fat, only sport can release it quickly in your blood so that it can be eliminated with perspiration and urine.

I would like to share with you some interesting links about the dangers of antipsychotics:

A Guide to Minimal Use of Neuroleptics: Why and How:
http://www.madinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Guide-to-Minimal-Use-of-Neuroleptics-.pdf

Do all schizophrenia patients need antipsychotic treatment continuously throughout their lifetime? A 20-year longitudinal study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22340278

Antipsychotic deflates the brain:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100606/full/news.2010.281.html

Antipsychotic drugs could shrink patients' brains:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110207/full/news.2011.75.html

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/06/antipsychotics-and-brain-shrinkage-an-update/

Antipsychotic treatment induces alterations in dendrite- and spine-associated proteins in dopamine-rich areas of the primate cerebral cortex:

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(00)01058-1/abstract?cc=y=

Last edited:
Congratulations on your progress, Decisive - and thanks for a great post. The Biological Psychiatry links are especially interesting. Lots of great information there! This particular study was an interesting article linking 'schizophrenia' with inflammation in brain tissue. That would really implicate the typical western, high inflammation diet with increases in mental illness of any kind. Lifestyle and diet changes would be much kinder therapy for mental illness than drugs like Invega Sustenna.

Huffpost Guide to lowering Inflammation

Last edited:
*Update

Hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile so I thought I'd post a little information about my progress in coming off invega sustenna so far. It's been 5 1/2 months for me and I would say that there has definitely been a "slight" improvement since month one. For example, in month one I couldn't get excited or motivated to do practically anything, but now I can at least get kind of excited about playing daily fantasy sports. If I make a fantasy basketball team I can actually sit down and enjoy the games and experience some emotions...I get angry sometimes if I lose and if I win I get a brief glimmer of happiness. So I suppose that a sign of improvement.

However, I still feel extremely dumbed down mentally. It feels like this invega injection has given me the equivalent of an intellectual disability. My short-term memory has gotten horrible and I find myself fumbling over words and not being able to think properly when I'm holding conversations. My psychiatrist said the poison should've worn off after 3-4 weeks. I told him that even if that's true (which it isn't) then why am I still experiencing the same exact side effects that started day one of being on invega. I told him if it did wear off then it must've caused some sort of permanent or long-lasting neurological changes to my dopamine and serotonin receptors...he said he never heard of such a thing and that a better sleep schedule should solve my problems....but I get PLENTY of sleep already...it just makes me sad to think even my pdoc has no clue what these meds can do and that he couldn't help me if if he wanted to...

Im getting to the point where I can't shake the feeling that this is permanent. I feel tired literally ALL the time. I can't work, go to school, or go out with my friends to do anything unless it's just sitting down and watching a basketball game together. I have developed crippling social anxiety since I was injected with this poison and it only seems to intensify the longer I go without feeling anymore improvements.

The only thing that helps me fall asleep at night is if I tell myself something like, "don't worry, I'll find an easy way to end it(my life) and then I won't have to suffer anymore." It's weird because I'm not suicidal (yet) but for some reason just the thought of not having to suffer through this torture and the feeling of being trapped in a mental prison anymore makes me calm enough to fall asleep..even if the relief came at the cost of my life. I know this isn't healthy but I really tried to listen to my doctors and therapist and be patient...but I feel so lost and alone because I don't think anyone else (doctors, family, friends, etc) could help me even if they wanted to.

The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that some day my mind will recover. But deep down I'm scared its permanent. I mean after 5 1/2 months I still feel extremely tired and lethargic ALL the time and I'm prescribed 50mg of adderall a day AND drink 200-300mg of caffeine a day as well. I HATE using that many stimulants but the fact that I can't stay awake even with them scares me even more. I can't imagine how I would even get out of bed without stimulants...

I told myself I'd give it 5years for my brain to fully recover. If 5 years passes and I still feel brain damaged then I'm 50/50 on just ending my life to stop the suffering. None of the doctors and therapists really know how powerful this drug is and what it can do to a person. Hell, my family doctor had never even heard of it. I feel like a lab rat in some sort of sinister experiment for a permanent mind altering drug that will be banned 50years from now because of its horrible and permanent side effects. I hope for all of us that it is not permanent...but these days I have a hard time believing that it isn't. Sorry for being so negative and pessimistic :( I have a hard time being anything else nowadays.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I am not doing better at all. i am so scared my symptoms are permanent. I heard about a guy that was given these shots and he recovered in 3 years. i read about a girl who recovered after 1.5 years. i am so sceptical and scared to death that it will last in my system forever. i suffer from anxiety panic and pain. can i please he ar more positive stories from you guys ? would be great.

Get Invega RECALLED - Then maybe we'll have a class action lawsuit

This is really important!! There aren't any reported bad side effects on the FDA Website for Invega Sustenna. Unless people start complaining about it, doctor's will continue to prescribe it. There needs to be a grass roots revolt from all the people who are suffering. The FDA doesn't know how bad this drug is. Please do your part to shine some light on this horrible drug.

United States
MedWatch Voluntary On-line Report for Patients
to report adverse events

How it happened (4,000 characters max)
Dates, Tests, Lab Reports (2,000 characters max)

Australia
Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has an “Adverse Medicines Event Line.” To go to their reporting system, click here.

Canada
Health Canada’s Adverse Reaction Reports can be submitted online. To make a report,click here. (Also available in French).

New Zealand
New Zealand’s Medsafe Center for Adverse Reactions Monitoring (CARM). To go to CARM’s official website, click here.

United Kingdom
UK’s Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has a system called “Yellow Card.” For reporting online, click here.

NOTE: If you cannot easily report an adverse drug reaction through your country’s drug regulatory agency, write a letter to the agency and your federal representative on the need to make this system consumer-friendly—i.e., very easy to file a report.

It really is scary that it "could be permanent." I've had the same fear. But, you somehow have to think you can recover. If people can heal from near point of death, why not from this, especially since you're still alive. People heal from cancers and all kinds of near-death injuries.

But you may have to know well and follow a healing system. The kind of thing that's been powerful enough to heal people of cancers and near-death injuries. I've recovered from some of the most debilitating condition before - psychosis and being bed-ridden, recovered to being able to work and function better than ever. First followed a fruitarian diet from an old doctor's book, "Health via Food" by William Howard Hays.

Think of it not as recovering from the drug, but recovering from any major damage to the body in general. My 'hypothesis' here is that there are cure alls, for which recovering from what doesn't matter. So maybe you'd be detoxing the drug with greater ease, or maybe even you'd be healing brain damage, to feel 'recovered.'

For the record, I'm pretty sure I've healed more than slightly, at 3 months. I might say I've healed "some what." I couldn't do anything before, but lately I've been active in some computer programming work. But I've been applying Arnold Ehret's Mucousless Diet Healing System, eating mostly salads. Definitely no meat. Mostly vegan. I don't think I'd be recovered "anywhere near as much", had I been just eating like most people do, and not following his system (strictly/nearly all salads and fruit). (A similar system, mostly fruit as drinks/fruitarian, is how I also healed from psychosis/bed-ridden, to functioning well.)

You can get that book, if interested. The Mucousless Diet Healing System by Arnold Ehret. He healed himself from near-death in his 30s, and not only that - he discovered spiritual highs untold of before that, and said that his healing system is worth more than all the tomes of philosophy. That's how well one can heal, *IF* one knows how!

So if you're suffering that much, you should apply his system. Or I mean, trust me on that, that it works, take my word for it. Get the book, it's worth a try if you're feeling that bad.

did you find one for Germany Hilary?

Germany: … pharmaceutical entrepreneurs, physicians and pharmacistsare legally obligated to report suspected adverse reactions. Should the adversereaction you suspect not have been reported by your physician or pharmacist yet you can initiate such a report yourself.

Clicking on the link "'Consumers reporting adversereactions (german)” will lead you to the joint database of BfArM and Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (PEI) whereyou will find a reporting form specifically designed for consumers. Whenreporting a suspected adverse reaction you will be asked to provide yourcontact information. The data is transmitted via a secured connection and is ofcourse treated confidentially. After having submitted the report you willautomatically be sent a confirmation of receipt.

France: Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) are collected by hospitals in 31 'Pharmacovigilance Centres'. Clinical Research Assistants (CRAs) visit the centres and collect the ADR data. Online reporting is also done through these centers. Patients don't report adverse side effects personally. (Please feel free to correct me if this has changed)

Therefore, I recommend contacting Janssen directly askjanssenmedinfo.com.
Tell them that you want a form FRM-12964, Consumer Questionaire For Adverse Event Experience. They will mail the form to you. That's the only way to make sure your complaints are heard and reported correctly. Janssen is legally required to report your bad experiences with their drug.

Also, please note that if you are taking any other medications or herbal remedies or neutraceuticals, it may invalidate your testimony against their drug.

Last edited:
Thinking about the symptoms of the poison, I think anxiety could be one of the problems.
After the depression and complete lack of interest in doing anything I must have had bad anxiety for the first few months aswell, now it has got better over time as more of the poison has left my system, but I could still be suffering from low grade anxiety until all the poison has finally left my system.

I think I may have figured out a calculation that might give you an idea of how much of Invega Sustenna is still left in your system.

Unfortunately, this "equation" really only helps out the people given more than 2 or 3 injections... like me... Here Goes:

So because I suck at math and only made it through algebra, I'm afraid this is all as long as long hand can get... maybe not...

You have to treat each individual injection as if it were it's own. Say you had 3 injections of 156 mg. And that was a year ago from the last injection. Last injection: 156/2 7 times = 1.22. First injection: 156/2 ~8 times = 0.6. Now you take the mean between these two numbers to find the half life of the second injection... or 0.91 mg. Add up all three sums. 1.22 + 0.91 + 0.6 = 2.73 mg
2.73 mg in the system really shouldn't be all that debilitating. After all, I used to be on 9 mg of Invega tablets and they didn't block my energy practically at all. But everyone's different. I can imagine for some people, 3 mg would put them on their ass. But I have enough energy stored inside me to stop an elephant in it's tracks so... that's just me.

According to this way of calculating, I have something like 12.69 mg of Invega Sustenna still in my system.

I know this is not all perfect science and I don't expect everyone to believe this - it, not being official and whatever - but, to me, it makes sense that I should have roughly that amount in my system because... frankly I just feel like shit. And I shouldn't.

I'm going off the half life, I think when you've gone through the 5 half life stage you should be feeling almost normal hopefully. Half life 6 and 7 should clear the last remaining poison out of your system, but by that time you should be getting enough dopamine and serotonin that the remaining fractions are insignificant.
Thats my theory, its just a joke that this poison can stay in your system for that amount of time and having to try and live a life when your body is being starved of dopamine isn't easy, you've just got to keep believing that you will recover and realise that its your receptors that are blocked and that is the reason you feel shit.
Not sure if i can be bothered to report the bad side effects, big pharma is just to corrupt in my opinion and will just start coming up with the too much dopamine bullshit although my pysch worker did say I will have a case for suing the hospital if I get treated with the poison again. Just want to try and put this experience behind me and recover my life.

6 months off the poison
Yeh, I made it and its the best I've felt in six long months, finally woke up not depressed and with a bit of optimism for the future, I'll settle for this feeling although it may only be temperary and another wave maybe about to hit me, but its nice to feel almost normal for a change.
I did have two joints last night to celebrate reaching the six month mark compared to my usual one, I don't know if thats contributing to my good mood or the nine hours solid sleep, but its a refreshing change and gives me some hope that I can recover and live a normal life or at least get my life back on track anyway.
I do love weed though and its been part of my life for the past twelve years and it has depressed me not being able to smoke it properly for the last six months, the break has been a test and as long as I don't fall back into waking and baking I think I will be happy enough just getting stoned at night especially when I get myself some hobbies or work to do during the day, let the good times roll.
Not saying this is a success story because I was pretty depressed yesterday and I plan on just lazying around for another two weeks whilst the fourth half life passes, but for some reason I feel fairly normal for a change, thinking clearly, not depressed, not cold and looking forward to the rest of the day and the weekend, almost feel energetic although I have got extremely lazy since christmas I plan on changing that in a couple of weeks.
Anyway roll on tonight when I can chill out with a beer and a joint without feeling guilty and can feel pleased with myself that I survived the last six months without doing anything stupid and managing to get through the mental torture and all the other side effects from the poison.

Invega is not really a new drug anyway as Paliperidone is the only active metabolite of Risperidone which has been on the market for decades so the 2 share virtually the same side effect profile. So if you want to look up long term side effects of Invega sustenna just look up the long term side effects of Risperdal consta as they do pretty much the same thing.

HEy guys, i hope you are doing good. After 1 year i havent experienced any kind of improvement. i still feel panic, anxiety and depression, crying spells. its pure hell. I once read that there are medications that are in the body for centuries. for example one medication against osteoporosis has a half working live from 10 years. god i so hope that this is not the same with invega since i havent felt any improvement.

I would challenge you to provide a source to that affect. As for as a know, no drug exists in that body nearly so long.

I know it's easy to say, but keep working it and things will improve.

This is a success story. I was hospitalized for postpartum psychosis a year ago and given two shots of Invega Sustenna. I had insomnia, akinesia and anxiety for the first weeks (or maybe months) and would constantly pace all day long. I had to be constantly moving and couldn’t sit still. That finally subsided, but I was left with severe anhedonia. I struggled to shower or care for myself or my family. I was unable to think creatively at all. I had absolutely no motivation even to do the simplest of things like brush my teeth before bed. I could not feel emotions; I could not cry. I felt no endorphins when I exercised. Exercising felt like a miserable chore, when it was always something I enjoyed previously. I gained fifty pounds. I felt nothing when listening to music. Some of these symptoms slowly lessened over time. My menstrual cycle returned after about five months. But my mind was in a constant state of boredom. I would spend my days on the internet, watching YouTube videos, etc. trying to find anything to help distract me as I waited for the Invega to wear off. I would occasionally try walking every so often, but still found it incredibly unenjoyable. I had no appetite, no thirst reflex. I would have to force myself to drink water, and felt no desire for fruits or vegetables which I used to enjoy.Finally, after about a year, a neighbor who has worked with depression patients for many years, came over and encouraged me to try something. She said I needed to get up everyday, shower, get dressed out of my pajamas, and go for a walk. I tried to explain that I had already tried those things, and I felt angry at her because I felt she did not understand. But I decided to try it. The first day, after getting my kids ready for the day and off to school/my mom’s house, I went back to bed. But at noon, I got up, showered, got dressed, and went outside to walk. And I felt something different. I felt that spark again; the sunshine felt good again and I smiled. I spent the rest of the day in bed on the internet as usual. The next day, I did the same thing starting around noon. It took an incredible amount of effort those first two days, but each day it go a little bit easier. And slowly, slowly I was able to climb out of the hole. It took about a week. My concentration was still not great. And I would get a lot of anxiety in the evenings. But it has been three weeks now, and I can feel my concentration improving and the anxiety lessening significantly.I have been amazed at how quickly it has turned around. I feel almost completely back to normal. I feel like my old self again. I have energy and motivation again. I am able to socialize, laugh, joke, create, enjoy food, make dinner, care for my kids, clean, organize, everything. I feel happy again. And I have been enjoying life to the fullest in order to make up for lost time. I feel that at some point, the Invega had worn off enough for my receptors to receive dopamine and serotonin again. But I wasn’t aware of it until I started doing those things that would begin to fill them with those feel good chemicals again. I don’t smoke, drink, or take any recreational drugs; so I am unsure if those would have any effect on the healing process. But I just wanted to give some hope and encouragement. Hang in there. I was extremely suicidal for many, many months in the middle. After about eight months, those suicidal thoughts lessened. And if it wasn’t for my kids, I don’t know if I would have made it. But I’m so glad I did. Life is worth living again. You can heal. Hang in there. It will get better. You can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.