• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Cocaine, other short-acting stimulants and sleep

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
sorry if this has already been discussed. i’ve heard that the pharmacological half life of certain stimulants like cocaine and methylphenidate are only a few hours. is this really true, and if so, would taking these drugs at midday or early afternoon affect one sleep at night. this is assuming they don’t constantly redose or take megadoses.

I’ve heard chronic cocaine users exhibit sleep disturbances, at least according to brain scans for several weeks after stopping. does anyone have knowledge or experience of this phenomena?

sorry if this has already been discussed. i’ve heard that the pharmacological half life of certain stimulants like cocaine and methylphenidate are only a few hours. is this really true, and if so, would taking these drugs at midday or early afternoon affect one sleep at night. this is assuming they don’t constantly redose or take megadoses.

I’ve heard chronic cocaine users exhibit sleep disturbances, at least according to brain scans for several weeks after stopping. does anyone have knowledge or experience of this phenomena?
cocaine halflife is less than an hour

with usual type doses there's no way it's affecting your sleep after, say, four hours after your last dose (at the latest, if my coke was clean then I'd be able to sleep after 3 hours usually)

I used to get panic attacks even after 5-7 hours of doing a line. Cocaine also has cardiotoxic properties compared to other "street" stimulants. Also pretty hard to know if it's stepped on multiple times when it comes to coke. Sleep is complex and involves the production of other hormones, etc.

cocaine halflife is less than an hour

with usual type doses there's no way it's affecting your sleep after, say, four hours after your last dose (at the latest, if my coke was clean then I'd be able to sleep after 3 hours usually)

Wow, I didn’t know it was that short. sounds like it’s less harmful to one’s sleep than caffeine. do you know if methylphenidate is similar in that regard?

I used to get panic attacks even after 5-7 hours of doing a line. Cocaine also has cardiotoxic properties compared to other "street" stimulants. Also pretty hard to know if it's stepped on multiple times when it comes to coke. Sleep is complex and involves the production of other hormones, etc.

That’s kind of unfortunate, though I’ve heard that having some anxiety/ aversion to cocaine is somewhat protective against cocaine addiction. yes, I’m aware of cocaine cardiotoxicity, I think that comes from a mixture of cocaine’s local anaesthetic properties, strong adrenergic qualities as well as further toxicity from the range of potentially bioactive cutting agents used in low quality batches.

I used to sniff after building huge tolerance 6g coke everyday and even hrs later a shitload of benzo and alcahol abuse took a whole lot of effort to put my lights out...

When I sniffed 3g per day, I've had a hard time to sleep. Sometimes I didn't even sleep, I've stayed awake until 11pm from the other day. Or sleep during short periods during the day.
But that is because I don't use benzos (and I dislike).
However, I always had a hard time to sleep in general,because I'm more active at night.

It depends on the dosage. A single line won’t have too much lingering effects but multiple lines build up in the system more and can take 2-4hrs before mellowing out.

-GC

How about methylphenidate taken orally? could anyone see that affecting sleep if it was taken in the morning? if I don’t manage to get hold of selegiline, which I really want to try, then methylphenidate will be the first psychostimulant I would want to try. I do have a pretty strong innate urge to try amphetamine since childhood, just not comfortable with it’s insanely long half life of about nine hours if I remember correctly.

How about methylphenidate taken orally? could anyone see that affecting sleep if it was taken in the morning? if I don’t manage to get hold of selegiline, which I really want to try, then methylphenidate will be the first psychostimulant I would want to try. I do have a pretty strong innate urge to try amphetamine since childhood, just not comfortable with it’s insanely long half life of about nine hours if I remember correctly.

It tends to be more complex than just whether it's in your system or not. For example methylphenidate causes me to fall deeply asleep at low doses. I remember the first time I took 10mg and was trying to revise for an exam in the library. I became so overwhelmingly tired I had to just put my head down on the desk and fell fast asleep. Yet I'm the kind of person who can't usually sleep unless on a comfortable bed, and I wasn't tired at all before taking it. Some people take advantage of that effect and take a small dose just before bed. Others feel too stimulated even by a small dose. So it's the kind of thing you'll find out by trying it.

Having said that, of course, in general a shorter-acting stim is more compatible with higher quality sleep!

With the pure amp i got sleep comes quite easy...

And it is ld amp.

Very powerful and intense and long lasting but still youre quite relaxed, that comes due to lack of caffeine and who knows what kinds of psycho active cuts that are totally destroying the effects and giving negative effects, whit my amp not one not even tiny negative effect, not during, not afterwards, no crash at all even.

Last edited:
If you don't keep redosing throughout the day you should be perfectly fine to fall asleep

What about if your coke is clean? And at what level of use would cause cardiotoxicity? I ask because I have been binging on coke for the past few months and I already have cardiac issues . However, my most recent stress test showed no signs of progression. TIA!

What about if your coke is clean? And at what level of use would cause cardiotoxicity? I ask because I have been binging on coke for the past few months and I already have cardiac issues . However, my most recent stress test showed no signs of progression. TIA!

I honestly don’t know at what level cocaine becomes especially cardiotoxic though any level of use certainly puts strain on the heart. any stimulant would do that but cocaine is particularly problematic because it can directly affect ion channels in the heart in addition to its powerful vasoconstrictor effects. you say you have cardiac issues, well, in that case, you shouldn’t be using any stimulant unless strictly necessary and prescribed by a doctor. I don’t mean to be negative and I really hope I’m wrong, but binging on cocaine when you have cardiac problems sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.
Also, for the sake of your long-term happiness and mental well-being, I recommend you put down the cocaine for good. i’ve never tried psychostimulants myself, but some of the best advice I’ve got on here regarding cocaine is that if you can’t use it occasionally without redosing/binging, it’s better to leave it out completely.

binging on coke for the past few months and I already have cardiac issues
How do you know? Or just feel that way?

would taking these drugs at midday or early afternoon affect one sleep at night

Not for most normal people. From what "I hear" it's common to be able to fall asleep about 2 hours after ending a session of cocaine, smoked, provided it's not cut with other stimulants.