• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cocaine energy drink pulled from shelves nationwide

vicoprophen

Bluelighter
An energy drink called Cocaine has been pulled from stores nationwide amid concerns about its name, the company that produces it said Monday.

story.cocaine.drink.gi.jpg

Clegg Ivey, a partner in Redux Beverages LLC of Las Vegas, Nevada, said the company plans to sell the drink under a new name for now.

The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning letter last month that said Redux was illegally marketing the drink as a street drug alternative and a dietary supplement. May 4 was the deadline for the company to respond.

The FDA cited as evidence the drink's labeling and Web site, which included the statements "Speed in a Can," "Liquid Cocaine" and "Cocaine -- Instant Rush." The company says Cocaine contains no drugs and is marketed as an energy drink. It has been sold since last August in at least a dozen states.

"Of course, we intended for Cocaine energy drink to be a legal alternative the same way that celibacy is an alternative to premarital sex," Ivey said. "It's not the same thing and no one thinks it is. Our product doesn't have any cocaine in it. No one thinks that it does. We think it is most likely legal in the United States to ship our product."

Ivey said the FDA did not order the company to stop marketing the drink, but officials were concerned about possible legal action. They will announce a new name within a week and hope to have the product back on store shelves within a few weeks.

"What we would like to do is continue to fight to keep the name because it's clearly the name that's the problem," Ivey said. "What we can't do is distribute our product when regulators in the states and the FDA are saying that if you do this, you could go to jail."

Attorneys general in Connecticut and Illinois recently announced that Redux had agreed to stop marketing Cocaine in those states, while a judge in Texas has halted distribution there.

"Our goal is to literally flush Cocaine down the drain across the nation," said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who announced the company's agreement with his state Monday. "Our main complaint about Cocaine is its name and marketing strategy seeking to glorify illegal drug use and exploit the allure of marketing 'Speed in a Can,' as it called the product."

The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection pulled 300 cases of Cocaine from state stores on April 23, saying Redux Beverages did not license the product as required by law.

As part of the agreement, Connecticut distributors and retailers can return unused product to Redux for a full refund.

A message seeking comment was left with an FDA spokeswoman.

Fans responded to the announcement that Redux would stop marketing Cocaine by leaving dozens of messages, many of them profanity-laced, on a page created for the product on the social networking site MySpace.com.

The energy drink is the first product marketed by Redux, which wants to keep the name Cocaine because it fits with the company's tongue-in-cheek approach, Ivey said.

"We like to think we have a great sense of humor," he said. "And our market, primarily folks from ages 20 to 30, they love the ideas, they love the name, they love the whole campaign. These are not drug users."

Cocaine energy drink pulled from shelves
CNN Health
May 8, 2007

Link

so they should loose the health benifit print and just call it an energy drink , Then what could they do? Freedom of speech right,so they cant mess with them because of the name.Hell if that company is big then sue every state that has outlaw it.YOU cant outlaw something because of it name ,thats got to violate some constitutional law the manufacture has u would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Im not mistaken its just mass amounts of sucrose which give the energy surge, as well as such high levels of caffeine that you shake.

I tried it as I was curious, I wont deny it. It tasted like a fire ball covered in lidocaine. It didnt numb my mouth and throat, it just made it tingle all strangely. Within minutes though, I felt my eyes perk open, and my mind seemed extra clear. I was at Best Buy with a friend who mentioned that I was talking the clerks ear off about nothing. I hadnt noticed.

Their are some psychological effects, but nothing taking a few stay alert capsules (assuming they have ephedrine) wont do. You do feel a slight change, but nothing serious, nowhere near cocaine. If you can get by the weird burning tingle though and you want an energy drink that kicks you in the balls, this is it.

I just cant believe they are taking it off the market. If it was called Sally's Nipple Juice, it would be fine, but using Cocaine is enough to make it taboo. Guess we should ban everything with unrefined sugar.

And last, I was carded when I bought it. I looked confused when they asked for it, and I was told I needed to be 18.

These things are all smoke-screens to divert the public's attention away from things that cause real harm--like warfare, poverty, and dismantling the Constitution.

Matt_Himself said:
And last, I was carded when I bought it. I looked confused when they asked for it, and I was told I needed to be 18.

LOL you gotta be kidding me, they sell energy drinks in vending machines.

^yeah but probably not Texas Cocaine...anyways...

Someone, please tell me if I am wrong, because I am not sure I fully understand this:
*Is there any actual REAL cocaine in the drink(s)?..or is it just a name?

DexterMeth said:
^yeah but probably not Texas Cocaine...anyways...

Someone, please tell me if I am wrong, because I am not sure I fully understand this:
*Is there any actual REAL cocaine in the drink(s)?..or is it just a name?

It's just the name...everyone who's trying to fight it is just getting their knickers up in a knot over the name.

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" is all that comes to mind here.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said:
Our goal is to literally flush Cocaine down the drain across the nation

think this guy is on drugs or something, who flushs coke unless it's a raid.;)

Last edited:
wow. why does anyone really give a fuck about a name. its not like it has real coke in it

Watch out for the drink to be sold on EBAY for $10/pop

/me runs off to buy 100 cases

=D

Vivid said:
wow. why does anyone really give a fuck about a name. its not like it has real coke in it

It makes as much sense as the drug war.
Why not?

I think they should come out with a new line...

Abstain, Ignorance, and Hypocrisy...
"Can Cocaine - Abstain!" (I can see this slogan going over REALLY well... the message to STOP using cocaine... and... Well... I appreciate irony.)
"Ignorance - Govt. inspired drink for the masses!"
"Hypocrisy - the official drink of the US Govt. - especially USAID!"

i heard its the WORST tasting drink ever.

did anyone see the Colbert interview with the guy who started it? the guy chugged one of the cocaine drinks, and colbert says have another. and the guy looks like he just drank old rotten moldy urine, and looks like he is going to puke and says "no i can't drink another one" LOL i thought that was hilarious, the guy was gonna puke from his own product hahahah he couldn't even drink two because it tastes so shitty.

enoughorangejuice? said:
i heard its the WORST tasting drink ever.

did anyone see the Colbert interview with the guy who started it? the guy chugged one of the cocaine drinks, and colbert says have another. and the guy looks like he just drank old rotten moldy urine, and looks like he is going to puke and says "no i can't drink another one" LOL i thought that was hilarious, the guy was gonna puke from his own product hahahah he couldn't even drink two because it tastes so shitty.

I could only bear 2 sips.

I hope they somehow incorporate COCA- cola or COKE into their campaign to keep the name. I mean fuck cocaine never had any actual cocaine in it, yet coke did and it still gets to keep its name.