Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Closed Eyed Visuals

Sidus said:
What do they look like?
How will I get them?:D

For me theres usually some trigger that sets off CEVs. But once they start, the more you focus on them, the more they grow. Try pushing on your eyeball, looking upwards, or flickering your eye lids. Taping your eyelids shut may increase the chance =D

Yeah pressing on your eyes increases visuals. I used to do that when I was really young even. I was always fascinated by the patterns. When I tripped really hard my eyes would just roll upward (towards the so-called 3rd eye) without me having to make them; and there was an incredible pressure in the center of my forhead and the visuals would just explode- waves upon waves of them. But the visuals were accompanied with a sense of meaning. Visuals without a sense of meaning is boring I think.

^^ That's interesting about the eyes rolling back... on very strong trips, that always happens to me... every minutes or so (or sometimes almost constantly) a wave of intensity comes on and my eyes roll back in my head uncontrollably. Then I either resist it if I want to stay "here", or I go with it and get lost in some psychedelic tunnel. I never thought about it as looking up towards the "3rd eye" though.

YEAH so im not the only one that happens to, rad.
the eyes looking up at the third eye thing happens all the time, just tonight even and i know what you mean by tunnle. the visuals definatly get more meaningful after that. its interesting. you can do this and focus to bring on an interesting mindstate while sober.

Beenhead said:
^ It sounds like you have never seen classic CEV. They are patterns overlayed on the back of your eyelids, just like you see the grass. Except your eyes are closed and they are incredibly detailed patterns, not grass.

I don't need psychedelics to get those,
you can just press on your eyelids with your eyes closed and get the same effects you described.
I only get what i described when under the influence of something or other.
this leads me to believe that these are the true form of cevs.
at least thats how it goes for me.

Pressing on the eyes does not do the same thing as the patterns from seratonin drugs. Ive done the eyeball thing and its more of a bunch of blobs of light and color than highly formed geometries and highly symmetrical architectural structures. The things I see on psychedelics are so much more beautiful and structured than anything created by simply pressing on the eyes.

Possibly the drug creates highly organized phosphenes... I do think that particular drugs create similar cev in humans. Look at Aztec Art, I see that on Mushrooms. Just think if 2C-E were present in mushrooms, the motifs of the Maya or Aztec would have been vastly different

It's interesting how many people talk about seeing vivid, detailed old/ancient art from civilizations past when on psychedelics... when I did mushrooms, I saw this BEAUTIFUL ancient Egyptian tile floor, underneath a picnic table of all things. And also as I was walking throughout the neighborhood there was this ancient Grecian-looking pattern on the gravel below me. Fascinating stuff.

someone should genetically engineer mushrooms that produce 2ce that would be the shit X ten

DOHP said:
Mescaline and 2C-B mimic dopamine in structure, Psilocin & Psilocybin mimic Serotonin in structure (a few examples)

And yes Ptah, perception is reality and it could be different for everyone.

Agreed with DOHP. Ptah, I feel the exact opposite as you; the psiloc-s give me the most amazing flowing feeling, because of how I see them as being more organic and directly in tune with nature. Mescaline is the same way, but 2C-varients and LSD are far more rigid and sharp to me, because of how much more complex the chemical is and how many steps must be taken to achieve a final form that is suitable for it to be used.
But, yeah. Just IMO.

IGNVS said:
someone should genetically engineer mushrooms that produce 2ce that would be the shit X ten

that really makes no chemical sense though

^Well, hasn't PEA been found in some species...? But yeah, its a tad farfetched.

where do CEV patterns come from?

Something that has interested me for a while and off course even more after some first trips on acid and mushrooms. It seems like the geometric, colourful, moving and swirling cev's are quite similar for all humans. I don't believe they "come" from the substance taken, but that the substance somehow "taps" them out of our brain. But how does this system work? What do these patterns represent?
Has there been any scientific research to this?

I've found some information here:
http://sharp.bu.edu/~slehar/
http://www.miqel.com/entheogens/true_and_false_hallucinations-1.html

Does anyone else have some interesting reading material about this matter?

your planet wont have scientist proving anything remotely close to this subject for at least another 20 years. (more like 100 but im generous)

Any who, i can offer speculation at best on this for the moment.

1. pineal gland may have something to do with this. Any one notice an ever so slight pressure & burning sensation where someone would percieve their "third eye" to be?
2. we all all connected on some level subconsciously or consciously. (varies greatly person to person: i read of a legit official experiment a while back where they took 8people and put them in separate rooms and gave each of them a new cross word puzzle every day for five days to record each persons results, on the 6th day they took the crossword that was in the NY times that day or whatever big paper and didnt mention the fact to them, remember these people were isolated for the whole experiment! So each persons results jumped near or over 25%+ )

I do really believe we all are connected but thats just because iv had a lot of experiences in this life that cant be explained any other way. Also, after tripping a few years you begin to notice that on occasion two people tripping may report the same hallucination at the exact same time. Weird huh?

yeah i didnt read the links before posting, WHATEVER. i just did however and have noticed that i am not the only one who has experienced the binding of thought (i was gonna use "consciousness" but felt thats a lil different)

"or the unusual ESP-like experience that Django and I shared ... a very general conversation that was non-verbal, then mutual recognition of this without ever saying it, and then some toying about with it to make sure we weren't just losing our minds. "

Last edited:
rnd.id. said:
This and the references/external links there might be what you are looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant

Looks interesting indeed, never heard of the term so would have had a hard time finding it. Thanks!

@FrostyMcFailure: I'm not searching for the "hallucinations" which I consider more high-level than patterns and colours not organised in recognisable objects.

First off, thanks very much for the links. I don't know where they come from but due to the nature of my CEVs, I have always pondered a more spiritual link.

97922672rr6.jpg

With cannabis I experience something more similar to A. Although maybe you won't count cannabis. But with your usuals phen's and trypts I never get fractal patterns or anything like that, just fantastic figures, creatures and such. It's perhaps influenced by Alex Grey but my visuals were like that before I ever viewed his work.

At any time there is always a representation of good and then a representation of evil imposed behind it, sometimes the other way around. If anyone has any other links on the subject please post them!

http://math.uh.edu/~mg/reprints/papers/6120261.pdf

This is a text referenced from the wikipedia entry on form constants. Very interesting, although with some heavy mathematics and usage of specific biological terminology. It seems like the abstract visuals could be a result of processes happening in the visual cortex which, because of the physical mapping between the visual cortex and the subjective "visual field", are observable as visual phenomena. So in fact, because the hallucinogen fucks up and thus influences neurological processes in your brain, these altered processes are observable to the subject through the change in, for example, vision. And because visual processing is so important to humans, little differences are easily detected.
Very interesting, literally "seeing" how your brain works.