• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Clonidine Works Wonders For My Opiate Withdrawal

Bondo Bill

Greenlighter
I wanted to share my success with using Clonidine to help ease opiate wd symptoms.

I am coming off of 140mg Hydrocodone 13 years for spinal fusion surgery and am half way there thanks to the Clonidine.

My previous attempts to taper were in vain. I am in my 60's and when you get older kicking is tougher.

The Clonidine has removed ALL of these symptoms - sweating, nausea, high blood pressure, fast heart rate. It is still tough, but I would estimate that my suffering has been reduced by half. I swear by this med, and I am very anti - pharmaceutical.

The best part is it is cheap - about 15 bucks. I highly recommend giving it a try. Bill

Clonidine is such a versatile drug. My psychiatrist prescribes it for me. I use the .1mg/day transdermal patch. It hits a trifecta for me and helps alleviate not only my high blood pressure but also my ADD (stimulant ADD meds make me manic) and my generalized anxiety as well.

Yep. About the best opiate wd drug there is.

Awesome work - keep up the good work. And welcome to bluelight!

the go-to non narcotic med for opiate withdrawal.

lots of people at my mmt clinic take it to enhance their daily methadone dose. i dont recommend this at all...

I am down to 30% from my daily normal of prescription Hydro. I tapered 70% in about 2 weeks. After 13 years daily use I had become VERY dependent this taper has revealed.

My nervous system is still sensitive from a Benzo taper - a brutal one, and that is causing this opite wd to be especially troublesome. The Benzo recovery took 5 years, and I'm still not back yet.

FYI - benzos are meant to be taken for no more than 2 - 4 weeks. After that they cause brain cell and nerve cell alteration - brain damage . . . that can take 3 - 5 YEARS to recover from. Doctors prescribe them long term because they are misinformed by the drug companies.

If you mess with benzos, you are massively foolish.

I am a benzo cessation counselor and a benzo patient advocate - I know what I am talking about. One of my clients has been suffering terribly from her one and only dose many years ago.

I am so thankful the Clonidine is working so well still. I am fighting hard, and the finish line is in sight now.
If you have not tried Clonidine for opiate wd, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Bill

Last edited:
Hi,

I was just prescribed the Clonidine patches (2 weeks worth) to help get off of PST, but am worried about it dropping my blood pressure too low and having to quit using it (I already have a lower blood pressure normally). Does anyone know of or have any suggestions on how to combat this issue I will probably have so I don't have to quit taking Clonidine? My doc just says drink a lot of water, which I already do. Figured I'd give Bluelight a shot and ask those who have used this drug before.

Hi,

I was just prescribed the Clonidine patches (2 weeks worth) to help get off of PST, but am worried about it dropping my blood pressure too low and having to quit using it (I already have a lower blood pressure normally). Does anyone know of or have any suggestions on how to combat this issue I will probably have so I don't have to quit taking Clonidine? My doc just says drink a lot of water, which I already do. Figured I'd give Bluelight a shot and ask those who have used this drug before.

How did you go? PST is the fucking devil in a glass.

Clonidine is an amazing drug. For so many things. Anxiety physical symptoms, opiate wd, take half of one bc I can’t sleep some times and I don’t want to rely on a benzo… Really great drug. Glad my doctor is cool prescribing it.

Clonidine is an amazing drug. For so many things. Anxiety physical symptoms, opiate wd, take half of one bc I can’t sleep some times and I don’t want to rely on a benzo… Really great drug. Glad my doctor is cool prescribing it.
100% agree EXCEPT it's very rarely prescribed for anything except hypertension here in Aus. I've only ever had it prescribed for opiate withdrawals whilst in inpatient detox and yes it is fantastic for that purpose.

100% agree EXCEPT it's very rarely prescribed for anything except hypertension here in Aus. I've only ever had it prescribed for opiate withdrawals whilst in inpatient detox and yes it is fantastic for that purpose.
I had a doctor give me a huge rx a while ago with many refills. I filled them all.

Clonidine 0.1mg tablets can easily go head to head with any benzo an an anxiolytic

half a tablet is enough to ease me into sleep half hour before bed

Used it for opioid withdrawal years ago….Amazing drug.