• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazepam Taper

Dcole461

Bluelighter
Hello all,

I've been taking clonazepam for about 6 weeks. I'm at 0.25mg twice a day (prescription is for 0.5mg twice a day for anxiety). I feel anxious when I don't take it, but I'd like to start cutting it down to 0.25mg/day. Am I at risk for seizures or more serious withdrawal symptoms? I don't have a history of seizures.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I've been taking clonazepam for about 6 weeks. I'm at 0.25mg twice a day (prescription is for 0.5mg twice a day for anxiety). I feel anxious when I don't take it, but I'd like to start cutting it down to 0.25mg/day. Am I at risk for seizures or more serious withdrawal symptoms? I don't have a history of seizures.

Thanks!
If you've only been on 0.5mg a day, cutting down to 0.25mg a day shouldn't be a major seizure risk. You are most likely going to get SOME physical withdrawals though.

Coming from someone who was mega close to having a seizure from benzo withdrawal, you will feel it coming on - you get; (after the anxiety and insomnia)
jaw clenching,
hot/cold sweats/flushes,
nausea,
diarrhea,
loss of appetite, followed by;
the shakes,
chest/heart pains,
brain zaps and
twitches that get more and more frequent (this is how far I got before I luckily got my hands on some etizolam which definitely saved me having a seizure - although, I was on 20mg of Xanax a day, and I had been on benzos for Years, and cold turkeyed by accident)

Keep an emergency dose or 2 on you AT ALL TIMES, once the shakes or anything listed below the shakes starts, take a dose ASAP, under the tounge for quick action. If you don't feel better within 5-10 mins take another one.

And if this happens on 0.25mg, try cutting down to 0.37.5mg a day for a week first, before cutting to 0.25mg a day for a week, then to 0.12.5mg a day for a week, and so on, until you are able to go a day with no physical withdrawals. Split the doses if it helps. With clonazepams half life, once a day should be ok.

Diphenhydramine, promethazine, valerian root, melatonin, magnesium, a warm glass of milk, will all help with insomnia.

Pregabalin or ketamine will help with the physical symptoms while coming off. Beware pregabs can be physically addicting and K can be psychologically addicting.

Come back for more advice once you are on 0mg of benzo, and the PAWS start. Best of luck 🤞

If you've only been on 0.5mg a day, cutting down to 0.25mg a day shouldn't be a major seizure risk. You are most likely going to get SOME physical withdrawals though.

Coming from someone who was mega close to having a seizure from benzo withdrawal, you will feel it coming on - you get; (after the anxiety and insomnia)
jaw clenching,
hot/cold sweats/flushes,
nausea,
diarrhea,
loss of appetite, followed by;
the shakes,
chest/heart pains,
brain zaps and
twitches that get more and more frequent (this is how far I got before I luckily got my hands on some etizolam which definitely saved me having a seizure - although, I was on 20mg of Xanax a day, and I had been on benzos for Years, and cold turkeyed by accident)

Keep an emergency dose or 2 on you AT ALL TIMES, once the shakes or anything listed below the shakes starts, take a dose ASAP, under the tounge for quick action. If you don't feel better within 5-10 mins take another one.

And if this happens on 0.25mg, try cutting down to 0.37.5mg a day for a week first, before cutting to 0.25mg a day for a week, then to 0.12.5mg a day for a week, and so on, until you are able to go a day with no physical withdrawals. Split the doses if it helps. With clonazepams half life, once a day should be ok.

Diphenhydramine, promethazine, valerian root, melatonin, magnesium, a warm glass of milk, will all help with insomnia.

Pregabalin or ketamine will help with the physical symptoms while coming off. Beware pregabs can be physically addicting and K can be psychologically addicting.

Come back for more advice once you are on 0mg of benzo, and the PAWS start. Best of luck 🤞
Quick question, don't want to hijack thread.

Instead of taking a klonopin if it gets too squirrelly (tapering off Klonopin) can I take a Xanax that is prescribed to dissolve under the tongue instead to stop a possible seizure coming on?
They are .5 mg
Really don't want to go backwards on my taper unless no other safe option.

As long as I don't die or end up perma screwed for life I just want to stay the course and get through the taper.

Quick question, don't want to hijack thread.

Instead of taking a klonopin if it gets too squirrelly (tapering off Klonopin) can I take a Xanax that is prescribed to dissolve under the tongue instead to stop a possible seizure coming on?
They are .5 mg
Really don't want to go backwards on my taper unless no other safe option.

As long as I don't die or end up perma screwed for life I just want to stay the course and get through the taper.
I'm not actually a doctor but I'd say Yes you can do this

I've been on 0.5 for a few days. Want to give it a week to get used to this dose. Prior I had increased a few days by .25-.5. Would a one day increase to 0.75 mess up the taper? Just because I actually do get anxiety at work. It's much easier to be on a lower dose at home.

I've been on 0.5 for a few days. Want to give it a week to get used to this dose. Prior I had increased a few days by .25-.5. Would a one day increase to 0.75 mess up the taper? Just because I actually do get anxiety at work. It's much easier to be on a lower dose at home.
A ONE DAY increase by just 0.25 isn't the worst thing to do 🤷‍♂️

As a psych nurse dispensing this every day you are on a very low dose. There should be no problem in halving it, especially as you’ve only been taking it for 6 weeks. Don’t fret and just reduce as you wish, if you’d be on it for several months it’d be a different matter.