• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

clonazepam & methylphenidate and nicotine

tomeyto

Bluelighter
im on 6 mg of kpin a day. before that, i used to smoke around 10 cigarettes a day.. now it's tripled. is it related to my benzo usage?
also i'm on 36 mg of concerta (ritalin XR) a day.. maybe it's related to that?
thanks

Depressants - alcohol, GHB, codeine etc. - tend to make me enjoy smoking cigarettes more and as a result I smoke like a chimney when on those drugs.

I seem to remember that alcohol increases the amount of dopamine released by nicotine, perhaps that's shared by other depressants?

tomeyto said:
im on 6 mg of kpin a day. before that, i used to smoke around 10 cigarettes a day.. now it's tripled. is it related to my benzo usage?
also i'm on 36 mg of concerta (ritalin XR) a day.. maybe it's related to that?
thanks

I don't know why they say Wellbutrin/Zyban helps you quit smoking cuz as soon as I was put on it, I was a nervous smoking wreck..

Smoking tobacco can increase the elimination of clonazepam and decrease it's action.

Ha.
I believe he'd like them linked.
And I thought this only applied to the hypnotic-type benzos (or maybe the triazalo- benzos)...

ebola

ebola? said:
Ha.
I believe he'd like them linked.
And I thought this only applied to the hypnotic-type benzos (or maybe the triazalo- benzos)...

ebola
I tried to find the study, but where I pulled it from was a wiki with its source being a book I can't get. If you search around though, there are plenty of references to clonazepam and smoking, and even more about diazepam and smoking (not hypnotic or triazolo-). Here is the first one I got from a Google search:

"Do not smoke while taking clonazepam. Smoking can decrease its effectiveness."
http://medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/Clonazepam.htm

Nicotine is a CYP2D6 (I think? One of the CYPs anyway) inducer, I believe.

So it does to benzos (and codeine-type opiates, btw) the opposite of what Grapefruite Juice would.

BollWeevil said:
Smoking tobacco can increase the elimination of clonazepam and decrease it's action.

A doctor told me this year's ago when i was put on clonazepam for anxiety. He said i should quit smoking because it makes clonazepam less effective. I thought he was just full of shit at the time and was just trying to get me to stop smoking. I guess i should have took his advice.

Ive just recently got back on the smokes again because i was really stressed out but i may quit again. It's a shame to be wasting clonazepam.

BollWeevil said:
I tried to find the study, but where I pulled it from was a wiki with its source being a book I can't get. If you search around though, there are plenty of references to clonazepam and smoking, and even more about diazepam and smoking (not hypnotic or triazolo-). Here is the first one I got from a Google search:

"Do not smoke while taking clonazepam. Smoking can decrease its effectiveness."
http://medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/Clonazepam.htm

Not too sound picky, but there is a difference between "can" and "will". I tried searching about this same topic once, and did not find much. However, having taken 3mgs of clonazepam with ephedrine, caffeine and smoking throughout the night, I did not find I was affected much. When I took 4mgs before going out (having not smoked), 30 mins later I was on my bed (dont know how I got there) and 4 hours had gone by, so there could be some validation to this.

What about caffeine, I once found a study (cant find it now) where they found out motor-coordination was improved in the clonazepam/caffeine group vs clonazepam-only group.

If the nicotine thing is confirmed, I am damned. I get the same nicotine craving on clonnies as when drinking alcohol.

And could we get an aprox. figure as to what amount of cigs affect clonnies by how much? (whether factual information or experimental?)

All the shit in tobacco smoke induces a whole range of enzymes and can alter the amount of medication required for a whole range of conditions. If you want references, put 'enzyme inducers' & 'smoking' into google & then just take your pic from amoung a shitload of hits.

Here an abstract for starters... http://www.springerlink.com/content/n4648u076r03vv60/

I think it might be the ritalin too...whenever I take pharm. speed (Dex-Amp, Methyl...etc) I always want to smoke a shitload of cigs.

That combo right there would make me, smoke a lot of cigs as well :)

Its pretty basic , clonazepam is a CNS depressant (central nervous system depressant). Cigarettes will amp you up or stimulte your nervous system like coffee. So it dosent take a genious to know how they contradict each other.

996vtwin said:
Its pretty basic , clonazepam is a CNS depressant (central nervous system depressant). Cigarettes will amp you up or stimulte your nervous system like coffee. So it dosent take a genious to know how they contradict each other.

As logical as this sounds, it is actually flawed.

Barbiturates are STRONG depressants. Amphetamine is a STRONG stimulant. Take them together, and you get a STRONGER effect of BOTH due to enzymatic interaction.

This is what they call synergy.

Jamshyd said:
Nicotine is a CYP2D6 (I think? One of the CYPs anyway) inducer, I believe.

So it does to benzos (and codeine-type opiates, btw) the opposite of what Grapefruite Juice would.
Grapefruit Juice is a CYP3A4 inhibitor actually. Inducing CYP2D6 while affected by codeine could be positive since this enzyme is responsible for the conversion of codeine to morphine.

BollWeevil said:

I've noticed that for sure

1-2mg used to do me fine now that i smoke can take 4mg and it feels the same.

I wish i knew exactly (or as close as possible) how much tobacco smoking effects the elimination and how quickly

redeemer said:
Grapefruit Juice is a CYP3A4 inhibitor actually. Inducing CYP2D6 while affected by codeine could be positive since this enzyme is responsible for the conversion of codeine to morphine.

Thanks, I mixed them up (hence the doubt in my last post). I was refering to 3A4.