• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

clonazepam and valium or xanax and valium (while on methadone maintenance 58mgs)?

BennyZoMGS

Greenlighter
I'm on clonazepam .5 twice daily and valium 10 mgs for insomnia(sleep). I'm wondering if it's better to switch to alprazolam(xanax) instead of the clonazepam and still have the valium at night but what mg would be apropriate if i changed for the xanax? or if i stick with clonazepam what should I ask my psych to up it too? i have more than 2+ panic attacks a day and 1 mg of clonazepam does it not 0.5. so i'm left with nothing for the rest of the day, also I'm on methadone 58 mgs. I don't know if half life's are an issue or not? what do you think I should do?

this is for the longterm but i only use my panic attack meds(clonazepam or alprazolam if so) when i have a panic attack some days i don't. But i take the valium every night or in a week a miss maybe one or two nights but seeing it has a halflife of up to 100-200 hrs the day med shouldn't mattter right?

@Felonious Monk
Like eventual overdose? OD? so then shouldn't a better combination be alprazolam with valium 10mgs for sleep unti li get off methadone? Please message me back on what you meant and what i'm sayin is true or not.

How long you have been on the benzos is a factor. It is possible to suffer from interdose withdrawal, and tolerance can decrease effectiveness resulting in panic attacks. Clonazepam and xanax are great for panic attacks, although I find xanax to be slightly more effective for panic in general. You would be sacrificing the long half life associated with the clonazepam though. 1mg of alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam. With clonazepam you could ask to have it upped to either .75mg or 1mg, or between .5mg and 1mg of xanax. I would recommended discussing it with your doctor and deciding which is the best route to take. IMO xanax is the better route to go when it comes to panic attacks.

Last edited:
what does DC -> OD mean?

No worries, it just means a mod moved the thread to a more appropriate subforum.

Presumably DC stands for "Drug Culture", but it was moved to "Other Drugs" ("OD"), the subforum for threads about drugs which are neither psychedelic nor empathogenic - like your question about opioids and benzodiazepines.

so just so I'm clear: with my valium 10mgs at bed for insomnia and methadone 58mgs (going down 3-5 mgs a month for previous OPOID dependence, it was heroin and OxyContin), your suggesting that I should go up either a .75 or 1 mg of clonazepam or change to Xanax and go up from 1mg of Xanax by add a .5 or 1 mg. or are you suggesting that I ask my doctor that route or use Xanax also by adding a 0.5mg or .1mg of it, to my set of clonazepam 1mg(2 0.5mgs since they are klonipin and don't come in 1 mg pills), valium 10mgs and methadone 58mgs daily.

"How long you have been on the benzos is a factor. It is possible to suffer from interdose withdrawal, and tolerance can decrease effectiveness resulting in panic attacks. Clonazepam and xanax are great for panic attacks, although I find xanax to be slightly more effective for panic in general. You would be sacrificing the long half life associated with the clonazepam though. 1mg of alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam. With clonazepam you could ask to have it upped to either .75mg or 1mg, or between .5mg and 1mg of xanax. I would recommended discussing it with your doctor and deciding which is the best route to take. IMO xanax is the better route to go when it comes to panic attacks."

and just so you know I've been using benzo's for about 12 years on and off, but recently it's been 2-3 year's on an ssri(es-citalopram), methylphenidate(used when needed to focus on studying), trazodone(for sleep) and 2 10mg tablets of valium daily. also propranolol for tremors. and clonidine for when i'd go down from me my methadone. and focourse methadone but when I started the valium I was at over 100 mgs of methadone now I'm at 58 as I said, and I've withdrawn successfully from all other drugs that I was taking in the preceding sentence and a week ago he took away my mid-day valium 10mgs because it made me sleep for hours within the day. so I told him I had just been using it as a sleep aid and I need something for my panic attacks I do not have depression or any of that so I don't want an ssri just something when I need it(when I have a panic attack) I don't wanna walk up everyday taking a pill. then he gave me the 2 0.5's of clonazepam for the daytime. which is not enough if I have a strong panic attack I have to use a full 1 mg. and then for the erst of the day if I have a panic attack I end up taking 5 mgs of my valium and workout strenuously so that i'm tired enough to go to sleep later at night with the 5 mgs of valium left (unless I've used it for another panic attack the bad days I have 3-4 panic attacks, good days I have 1 sometimes in the month maybe twice or three times I have none but it's rare seeing I run 2 websites for companies and am taking 5 courses incollege and am running an online newspaper with 20 of my friends).

Stop bumping your own post. It's not that important, you can wait for people to respond. If you need to add something to a post, use the edit function.

@felonious Monk
Sorry I'm new, I joined 2 days ago. How do you get the quotes of a person cause I wanted it directed to borderinginsanity's suggestion.

while clonazepam and alprazolam are equipotent the drugs work very differently, Clonazepam is generally used in treating general anxiety, it has a long half life and a slow onset, so it lasts much longer than alprazolam (xanax) which is used primarily for panic attacks and has a fast onset of action and a short half life. You might find yourself experiencing interpose withdrawal if you switch to just .5mg of xanax twice a day, it might do you better to see if you can get 2mg/day prescribed, then you can take .5mg 3-4 times or 1mg 2x, just my opinion but I do have a lot of experience with benzodiazepines, you also have to keep in mind though that if you were to raise your benzo dose just to be mindful of the fact that you're also on methadone, and mixing CNS depressants can be dangerous, though definitely doable if you're responsible.

I'm kind of curious why diazepam (valium) is being used for insomnia, its a great benzo but it's not one of the hypnotic classes, temazepam is much more effective (and equipotent to valium, or at least close) than diazepam. In fact, Valium would probably be the better benzo to use for anxiety, its got the fast onset and the long duration of effect that clonazepam has and 10mg=.5mg clonazepam.

while clonazepam and alprazolam are equipotent the drugs work very differently, Clonazepam is generally used in treating general anxiety, it has a long half life and a slow onset, so it lasts much longer than alprazolam (xanax) which is used primarily for panic attacks and has a fast onset of action and a short half life. You might find yourself experiencing interpose withdrawal if you switch to just .5mg of xanax twice a day, it might do you better to see if you can get 2mg/day prescribed, then you can take .5mg 3-4 times or 1mg 2x, just my opinion but I do have a lot of experience with benzodiazepines, you also have to keep in mind though that if you were to raise your benzo dose just to be mindful of the fact that you're also on methadone, and mixing CNS depressants can be dangerous, though definitely doable if you're responsible.

I'm kind of curious why diazepam (valium) is being used for insomnia, its a great benzo but it's not one of the hypnotic classes, temazepam is much more effective (and equipotent to valium, or at least close) than diazepam. In fact, Valium would probably be the better benzo to use for anxiety, its got the fast onset and the long duration of effect that clonazepam has and 10mg=.5mg clonazepam.

Because my body seems to take diazepam's muscle relaxant properties very sensitive and when I take it in the day I end up nodding off into sleep say from 2 to 7pm which is not effective for a normal daily life at school or work. with clonazepam it has anti-convulsant effects but not the muscle relaxant effects and I think the half life of valium building up, so when I take a 10 in the day after taking 2 10mgs every day for 2 years I've actually be adding that ten to maybe 30-50 mgs in my body collected over the past doses. Thus making me sleepy and the effects extra sensitive. with clonazepam it's been my 3rd day I've had maybe 5 panic attacks today I only took one yesterday I had to take 3 even though I only have 2 .5 a day and the day before that 2 I haven't had that effect. another thing though if still am taking valium every night though for sleep wouldn't that counter effect the withdrawal interdose of changing from clonazepam to Xanax in 4 weeks when I see the doctor cause I have a benzo with up to a 100 hours half life in me?

I was even thinking if he doesn't allow me to up the clonazepam and can he add just 1 mg of Xanax on top of it or 1 mg of lorazepam on top of it.

you'd want 2mg lorazepam, 2mg=1mg clonaz/alpraz on conversion charts

My long response was removed. I was first to reply. I'm sorry if it was just too much. Anty body know why my post was removed. I had the right intentions. If it was wrong (moderator), I understand.

My long response was removed. I was first to reply. I'm sorry if it was just too much. Anty body know why my post was removed. I had the right intentions. If it was wrong (moderator), I understand.

It wasn't removed It was on a different thread in 'Drug Studies' this is my question in 'Other Drugs'. And btw it helped greatly your suggestion.

I'm new to this site signed up 5 days ago so I was not aware you should just post the question in one thread. so I posted it in 2 or 3 thinking I'd get answers from different people.

I'm new to this site signed up 5 days ago so I was not aware you should just post the question in one thread. so I posted it in 2 or 3 thinking I'd get answers from different people.

Which my strategy actually I did get totally different answers from totally different people.