• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc citalopram(celexa) overdose?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I know citalopram has zero recreational value, its a really long and irrelevant explanation for why i wanna do a larger than prescribed dose, but can you overdose on it? and can anything bad thats serious happen from taking too much?

Can you overdose? Sure, but by itself it is rather difficult to die from an SSRI overdose. The Celexa labeling says during clinical trials overdoses were reported, up to 2000mg with no fatalities but in post-marketing there have rarely been deaths.

But it would be extremely unpleasant and definitely not advised to purposely OD. Serotonin syndrome, low blood sodium, cardiac disturbances and seizures could occur, especially if you take other drugs. Nobody can tell you how much is too much, so I will ask you to not do it in hopes you may listen.

I would highly advise against it. The FDA came out in 2011 I believe, and stated that doses over 40mg a day can cause fatal heart arrhythmias. They had to lower the max daily dose from 60-80mg down to 40mg. While SSRI's are pretty safe in terms of OD, at least with the outcome being death, Celexa is the most toxic SSRI in overdose. Sure, people have taken quite a bit and survived, but I wouldn't want to test it out. In any case, as someone who takes Prozac, I can imagine taking a lot would be highly unpleasant, if not deadly, in Celexa's case.

As Kittycat pointed out, Serotonin Syndrome would not be something you'd want to experience, as well as seizures, heart issues, etc.