• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Chroming: Social media trend of inhaling toxic chemicals to get high takes the life of 13-year-old

RUC4

Bluelighter
Chroming: Social media trend of inhaling toxic chemicals to get high takes the life of 13-year-old

National Post
Lynn Chaya
25 May 2023

Excerpts:

A lethal social media trend called “chroming” is on the rise among young teenagers seeking to get a high.
Chroming involves inhaling toxic chemicals through the nose or mouth in order to get a temporary high. These substances can be found in aerosol cans, paint, permanent markers, acetone, hairspray, deodorants, lighter fluid, glue, cleaning products or petrol, which mostly contain nitrous oxide otherwise known as “laughing gas”.
Most of the people who use solvents and aerosols are between 10 and 16 years old, ... Last month, 13-year-old Australian Esra Haynes lost her life to the trend after inhaling chemicals from a deodorant can, 7NEWS reported.
Inhalants are breathed through the nose or the mouth in various ways.

Sniffing: Sniffing or snorting fumes from containers.
Spraying: Spraying aerosol containers directly into the nose or mouth.
Bagging: Sniffing or inhaling fumes from substances sprayed or placed inside a plastic or paper bag.
Huffing: Holding a rag soaked with inhalant up to the face or stuffing it in the mouth.

When i was in elementary school, which was decades ago. A kid that was in middle school was inhaling spray paint with a bag and died. His parents found him in the room with paint all over his face. When we had the D.A.R.E. classes the cop used to bring up that situation when talking about the danger of drugs. Not gonna lie it scared me off ever doing any gas but n2O

Last edited:
tribettmug1.jpg

(im sorry)

This definitely ain't new.
Ashamed to admit it, but I too use to be huffer, whenever I couldn't get better drugs. Even in my 20's.
I have no idea how i'm even still here honestly. And physically "fine" according to doctors.

Huffing is a last resort & is more an act of self destruction at that point.

It's really unfortunate and sad. As a parent of a 13-year-old, you hope they aren't stupid and they make good decisions. IMO, raising the age to use the app could be helpful, but kids will find a way to do what they want online and in apps.

It's sad that one bad decision can end someone's incredibly young life.

This definitely ain't new.
Ashamed to admit it, but I too use to be huffer, whenever I couldn't get better drugs. Even in my 20's.
I have no idea how i'm even still here honestly. And physically "fine" according to doctors.

Huffing is a last resort & is more an act of self destruction at that point.
When I was 12 I huffed a couple times a week for about 6 months...until it occurred to me that it was a really disgusting and dangerous way to get high. Yuck.

If I'd been able to score weed I'd have done that instead.

Down under I found a product called "start ya bastard!"
It contained a fair bit of ether and could make your head spin when using it properly at arms length
#only in Australia 🦘

It contained a fair bit of ether and could make your head spin when using it properly at arms length
#only in Australia 🦘
Now if it was purely ether I'd be interested. When I was in college I'd get vials of ether from a Chemistry Major. It was a cheap high of short duration with no discernible side effects. Only used it occasionally, of course. I'm sure there are hazards with heavy use.

@jasperkent.
You haven't read "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas"?

"There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Dont cheat and watch the movie...it missed out all the good bits

@jasperkent.
You haven't read "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas"?

"There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Dont cheat and watch the movie...it missed out all the good bits
Read it 3 or 4 times, and yes, I vividly recall that line. I guess I didn't push myself to the limits on the stuff. I'm crazy, but I ain't no HST.
The movie was underwhelming.

When I was 12 I huffed a couple times a week for about 6 months...until it occurred to me that it was a really disgusting and dangerous way to get high. Yuck.

If I'd been able to score weed I'd have done that instead.
My go to's were dust remover, acetone, nail polish, hairspray (it had ether in it back then), any kind of spray cans with propellant.
A mind in withdrawals will certainly do some crazy things just to feel better too.
Looking back tho, I can't believe I did any of those things & you couldn't even pay me to do them now. lol

Pure ethyl ether is actually less physically harmful of an inhalant than many others for two reasons:
1. It's boiling point is 35C, which is below body temp of ~37C, meaning it leaves your body as a gas (in sweat and breath) and not in urine or feces,
2. What little is metabolized is turned into... ethyl alcohol. Which is comparatively harmless.

The downsides, of course, are extreme flammability, and the whole leaving-your-body-as-vapour thing - you tend to smell like the Exxon Valdez for about 2-3 days after use.

Oh, and it takes a good amount of ether to get intoxicated, and even more to produce frank unconciousness, (People who aren't named Frank need slightly less,) Just being in a room where ether is being used, even in quantity, will not have you acting like a clown. You need to sit down with a rag or something and seriously go at it to get real effects. It's worth doing once or twice but making a habit of it is not smart for several reasons.

Pharmacist "what do you need ether for"
My bottle of collodion flex has solidified.
"Old school...where do you use that?"
As an etch resist for circuit boards.

#only in Australia 🦘
Yeah, all starting fluid contains ether, I used to huff it heavily when I was a teen here in the states.

These substances can be found in aerosol cans, paint, permanent markers, acetone, hairspray, deodorants, lighter fluid, glue, cleaning products or petrol, which mostly contain nitrous oxide otherwise known as “laughing gas”.

🤔 yeah not sure that's quite accurate 🤣

(National Post is an awful source for this kind of thing -- or for anything really.)

“These substances can be found in aerosol cans, paint, permanent markers, acetone, hairspray, deodorants, lighter fluid, glue, cleaning products or petrol, which mostly contain nitrous oxide otherwise known as “laughing gas”.
🤔 yeah not sure that's quite accurate 🤣

(National Post is an awful source for this kind of thing -- or for anything really.)
Not sure what is accurate? Not sure people huff this stuff?

“These substances can be found in aerosol cans, paint, permanent markers, acetone, hairspray, deodorants, lighter fluid, glue, cleaning products or petrol, which mostly contain nitrous oxide otherwise known as “laughing gas”.

Not sure what is accurate? Not sure people huff this stuff?

None of those listed items contain nitrous oxide.

The article later goes on to characterize them as "nitrous oxide and nitrites". Nitrous oxide is a few orders of magnitude less toxic than the various compounds in the inhalants they listed.