View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Choking down cactus snot

im not a native english speaker and snot actually sounds nice to me

i bet the cactus speaks spanish also

I've never tried mescaline, so the idea that something can be that putrid you can't even knock it back as fast as possible intrigues me haha. I mean I've downed some nasty tasting shit before, usually medicines....but never has it been DIFFICULT to get down...exactly how much goop do you need to get down? More than a cup?

It earns every bit of its reputation.

It usually takes me at least half an hour to finish a cup of peruviuan torch. The reason being that if I drink it too fast or in large gulps, I will almost certainly throw it all back up.

Also, it gets worse every time, out of sheer anticipation. The moment that smell hits my nose, my brain tries to revolt: "A trip is NOT worth this, I'm NOT doing it." It's an act of sheer willpower to get it down, nothing less.

Ayahuasca can also be pretty vile, depending on the ingredients and the way it's brewed. Last time I had it, the shaman gave me a second glass while I was already at the peak. I downed it in a single swallow and spent the next ten minutes gagging in the corner. Because I was already tripping hard, it accentuated every horrible detail of the flavour, and water only seemed to make it worse. But it still wasn't as bad as cactus.

My advice is to boil it down to something you can down in a couple of shots. You don't want to have to struggle through more than 100mg. The downside is it will be triply as awful as 300mg (seriously), but at least the ordeal doesn't last as long.

jackie jones said:
Just don't call it cactus "snot". It is disrespectful to the plant.

There is actually some truth to this, but it isn't to do with the plant, it's to do with our relationship to it. Ayahuasca can open your mind to the nature of symbols, meaning and interpretation. By calling it 'snot,' you not only make the experience of drinking it even worse, but you add a slight influence of irreverence to the entire experience. It's up to you whether this matters, of course, but I doubt shamans would refer to it as snot.

Makes me think a little of the one time I went REALLY hard on shrooms (somewhere around 22-24 dried cubensis, stems and caps lol) on an empty stomach. All was well for the first few hours of being blown away....but then suddenly my stomach decided that the shitty fibrous fungal material floating around in it had to go, and the purge began. Heaving and convulsions while tripping that hard wasn't pleasant at all :( lol

I am really sick of people complaining about cactus tea. It's really not that bad. Just man up and drink it.

There is actually some truth to this, but it isn't to do with the plant, it's to do with our relationship to it. Ayahuasca can open your mind to the nature of symbols, meaning and interpretation. By calling it 'snot,' you not only make the experience of drinking it even worse, but you add a slight influence of irreverence to the entire experience. It's up to you whether this matters, of course, but I doubt shamans would refer to it as snot.

I must say I very much agree with this sentiment. I was reading another thread recently about Fly Agaric mushrooms and people were posting things like "fuck amanitas". For me this mushroom has been a miracle healer, I believe it is divine and seeing people disrespect it was quite upsetting. I mean, no wonder you're having a bad experience if that is what your attitude is like.

You can cook the juice down into a putty. Just watch it carefully and turn the heat down during the last few minutes. Let it cool until warm and roll it into balls with the aid of a bit of flour to stop it from sticking to your hands. It is virtually impossible to destroy mescaline. I have forgot it on the stove and burned it into charcoal and it still worked (I ended up mixing the charred powder into some chocolate pudding. It was yummy).

You do not have to deal with drinking cactus sludge. No worries.

This is basically the prep I follow now. When I've reduced the brew to a few cups, it goes into a Pyrex baking dish with a fan blowing over it. Eventually there's a goo/putty you can scrape off. If it's too gooey you can use rough grind/coarse cornmeal to make the putty balls, then just roll in flour. Sometimes it can get pretty sticky so don't be shy with the flour.

Another time I came up with the idea "I know, lets mix it with something that tastes nice! That's got to work right? So I mixed it in with some lovely yoghurt and - you've guessed it - it tasted like the worst yoghurt you've ever dreamed of.

Haha, reminds me of the time I had some bridgesii goo and thought it would work to spread it in a sandwich, sorta like a "cactus PB&J"..... :\ .....it all got down eventually though.....

Maybe mescaline's plan for you is greater than you realize

QFT

never ever again. I reduce my tea down to tar, then roll the tar into balls that I can swallow.

I am really sick of people complaining about cactus tea. It's really not that bad. Just man up and drink it.

It's worse for some than for others. I literally can't get it down any more, and I have a friend who has no problems with cactus tea but couldn't stomach some of the things I eat. It's your personal palate.

Here's one idea I had that I never tested but suspect could work. If anyone has tried it chime in. You ever heard of miracle berries? They make things that taste bitter taste sweet. It's real, you can look it up and order online. My San Pedro sipping days have been gone for a while, I treated it as a ritual, but getting my medicine down was always a challenge. Someone with a weak stomach but who wants to go there could try it and report. I was always curious about this.

also nobody mentioned this but it is common knowledge. I always infused my tea with fresh ginger root. I puked a lot less after that but it only mildly improved taste

Here's one idea I had that I never tested but suspect could work. If anyone has tried it chime in. You ever heard of miracle berries? They make things that taste bitter taste sweet. It's real, you can look it up and order online.

you're a fucking genius, I'm gonna give it a shot, probably within a few months. I'll let you know what happens c:

i heard of this super easy (lazy) way to take san pedro, cut and despine the cuttings ans then i think bake them? it wasnt a tek or guide or anything, just a real quick explaination. anyone know anything along these lines,or just a simple way to consume san pedro cuttings? (i have several feet still in the ground, so plenty of material)

You need to reduce it to a very low amount. Low heat over an extended period of time until you have goo at the bottom of your pan. Then you scrape the goo into a bunch of small balls and swallow them like pills.

I dunno, a crude a/b or alcohol extraction actually sounds easier and more convenient than trying to drink this stuff ^^

you'd just need some acetic acid, lye and some naphta and you're good to go

Talking about the snot. You may want to drink extra fluids (I recommend juice), this could reduce the bad taste in the back of your throat. Do you think histamine antagonist could heel some of the symptoms?

I am just peaking on some cactus tea made from 16 inches of T Bridgesii. It's amazing stuff!

I went through a lot of trial and error with cactus but when it comes down to it, a lot of it is common sense (which I must have lacked the first few times).

Firstly, anyone that says you can't reduce it down to 3 mouthfuls is doing it wrong. Just use a t shirt or something to strain the liquid after cooking and you should be left with something just a little thicker than water.

The important thing to keep in mind is that you can't let yourself taste it. Hold your nose, take a gulp, then with your nose still held rinse your mouth out with juice. Do this a few times and you are good to go.

Hope that helps.

Think I'm going to write a trip report for this bridgesii if anyone is interested.

You need to reduce it to a very low amount. Low heat over an extended period of time until you have goo at the bottom of your pan. Then you scrape the goo into a bunch of small balls and swallow them like pills.
thats the way i do it.

I dont get why more people dont do this.
its as potent and you taste nothing.

thats the way i do it.

I dont get why more people dont do this.
its as potent and you taste nothing.

People don't do it because they're so impatient or they don't know it can be done. The trick is to evaporate, not burn. It can take all day.