Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Chappelle The Closer

i was talking about on bluelight specifically...

alasdair

Although "cancelled" is a word that will probably die with the word "cringe," they are both cringe and most likely both will be cancelled.

It will be a sad day, millennials everywhere will stop speaking briefly until a new buzzwords are uttered into existence.

Cheap tricks and marketing tactics will be harder to come by. Old washed out Gen Xer comedians will be forced to find real content once again.

Stay tuned, for a lot of nothing is about to happen!

So i almost don't know where to put this thread because of all the uproar over some comedy....

Do any of you think Dave Chappelle was over the top with his latest show on Netflix? I don't think so but i have a different sense of humor - i didn't find it offensive - i laughed non-stop

we can't be offended about everything can we?

No, we can't be offended by everything. but a) he's not that funny and b) he is 100% a bigot and with the latest stand-up he's even worse. His trans jokes in particular are both cringe-inductively unfunny and also mean-spirited and ignorant. I'm not trans myself and I'm not one of the SJW's who like to be all offended "On behalf of" a marginalized group, so it's not really my place to BE offended by those "jokes" but I found it distasteful and ignorant. A friend of mine who IS trans sort of explained it as [I'm paraphrasing her here, she put it a lot more intelligently and concisely than I'll be able to] "I don't agree that ONLY trans people can make trans jokes and ONLY black people can make black jokes etc, you can makes jokes including or about a trans person if you are not trans and that fine, I often laugh myself at these jokes, but when all of the jokes are about the fact that that person is transgender is when it becomes ignorant and offensive because you are not only being incredibly disrespectful and nasty to [trans people], you're also perpetuating harmful negative stereotypes".
I do think nothing is off-limits in stand-up comedy, but there's a difference between both the comic and the audience being in on it and knowing it's a silly joke and actually just being nasty and ignorant and actually MEANING what you're saying.

No, we can't be offended by everything. but a) he's not that funny and b) he is 100% a bigot and with the latest stand-up he's even worse. His trans jokes in particular are both cringe-inductively unfunny and also mean-spirited and ignorant. I'm not trans myself and I'm not one of the SJW's who like to be all offended "On behalf of" a marginalized group, so it's not really my place to BE offended by those "jokes" but I found it distasteful and ignorant. A friend of mine who IS trans sort of explained it as [I'm paraphrasing her here, she put it a lot more intelligently and concisely than I'll be able to] "I don't agree that ONLY trans people can make trans jokes and ONLY black people can make black jokes etc, you can makes jokes including or about a trans person if you are not trans and that fine, I often laugh myself at these jokes, but when all of the jokes are about the fact that that person is transgender is when it becomes ignorant and offensive because you are not only being incredibly disrespectful and nasty to [trans people], you're also perpetuating harmful negative stereotypes".
I do think nothing is off-limits in stand-up comedy, but there's a difference between both the comic and the audience being in on it and knowing it's a silly joke and actually just being nasty and ignorant and actually MEANING what you're saying.

so what was so bad about what he said, specifically? You said all that without ever saying what he said that was so offensive. You did watch the special right? Idk how anyone could still think he's transphobic.

so what was so bad about what he said, specifically? You said all that without ever saying what he said that was so offensive. You did watch the special right? Idk how anyone could still think he's transphobic.

lol, yes, I watched it. When I have the time, I'll go back to it and quote specifics.
EDIT: or, rather. I'll ask my friend about it. I was mostly reporting how she felt. Since we're not trans, obviously we don't really know what would or would not be offensive, really. I will re-watch the special, though as I watched it AFTER discussing it with my friend, so obviously I went into it with that perspective.

@mal3volent - was that heart sarcastic? I don't want us to break up over this. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Last edited:
you do know he makes fun of white people, black people, gays, etc? It's called comedy.

Agreed. And I like comedians that are WAY, WAY more "offensive" than Dave. I think the intent behind jokes is what makes them okay or not rather than the jokes themselves.

Agreed. And I like comedians that are WAY, WAY more "offensive" than Dave. I think the intent behind jokes is what makes them okay or not rather than the jokes themselves.

I'll be interested to see what exactly his intent was and how you figured that out. Honestly I think his intent was to include a demographic of people into his routine and treat them exactly as he has every other minority throughout his entire career.

In 30 years our comedy will look like this:

"A however sexually oriented non-gender specific person walks into a bar/smoothies bar/non-alcoholic and/or vegan gastronomy establishment and asks the however sexually oriented non-gender-specific bartender/smoothie sellswoman/man/non-specific employee/r
"How's it going?"

And she/he answers "good, thanks"

The end.

In 30 years our comedy will look like this:

"A however sexually oriented non-gender specific person walks into a bar/smoothies bar/non-alcoholic and/or vegan gastronomy establishment and asks the however sexually oriented non-gender-specific bartender/smoothie sellswoman/man/non-specific employee/r
"How's it going?"

And she/he answers "good, thanks"

The end.

I'll be interested to see what exactly his intent was and how you figured that out. Honestly I think his intent was to include a demographic of people into his routine and treat them exactly as he has every other minority throughout his entire career.

Fair point. I didn't figure his intent, my friend did. But she could have been wrong. That's why I said I'd watch it again, with an unbiased mindset.

Fair point. I didn't figure his intent, my friend did. But she could have been wrong. That's why I said I'd watch it again, with an unbiased mindset.
I don't think he meant anything by it.
He just did what he always does, but he stepped on the wrong toes.
A lawsuit here and there, that's South Park's bread and butter.

edit: I find this whole idea that some things are funny and some things are "too much" is just idiotic. Either everything is fair game or nothing is fair game, that's just how it is. Either we can make fun of anyone, or no one. Our society is quite two-faced in that regard. I think people are just bored, that's why they think they're offended.

Last edited: