• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chantix

I asked my primary care doctor for it once, back when I used to smoke.

He straight up just said NO, which surprised me since doctors are very anti-smoking.

Apparently the side effects can be quite severe, particularly for people with psychiatric problems. It's been linked to thousands of suicides and even more suicide attempts. Lots of lawsuits, I'm surprised they didn't take it off the market.

^Don't know why that made me laugh. Regardless, thanks for it!

I know someone who was able to stop smoking with Chantix. I've also heard that it can create some gnarly aggression. Seems to possibly increase depression and be hard on the cardiovascular systm. I guess there's a nasal preparation too, but that it's used for dry eyes.

I think it's mostly a partial agonist--keeping things between a ceiling and a floor of activation--at the nicotinic acetylcholine complex.

Have you considered bupropion? It has the benefit of being useful for depression without sexual side effects as much. Good for bipolar depression too, I'm told. I think it's a nicotine receptor blocker. And a NE/D reuptake inhibitor. Worked well for me for a year, then stopped working essentially. But I was on it for bipolar disorder, not to quit smoking.

In all, chantix appears to be quite the serious med. But if it can help you quit smoking, well that's definitely to be taken into account!

I have taken wellbutrin and it didnt help me quit smoking at all. I may just ask my shrink for more benzos to chill me out so i can quit smoking. I dont need anything to up my aggression as i am quite aggressive enough lol

Apparently the side effects can be quite severe, particularly for people with psychiatric problems. It's been linked to thousands of suicides and even more suicide attempts. Lots of lawsuits, I'm surprised they didn't take it off the market.