• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

changing metabolism of nutmeg= different metabolites & effects?

and the addition of other methylenedioxy ring subsitutions alongside myristicin that could potentialy make a weird pharmacology occur. much in unknown but BEYER(R) pharma CO. did do research on safrol, myristicin, elemicin. i think those studies occured in 1983...

and the addition of other methylenedioxy ring subsitutions alongside myristicin that could potentialy make a weird pharmacology occur. much in unknown but BEYER(R) pharma CO. did do research on safrol, myristicin, elemicin. i think those studies occured in 1983...

what were the results?

the results concured that the epoxy and hydroxy/dihydroxy where metabolites and have been shown to be carcinogens, thats why sassafrass isnt used as widely as it used to be.

i tried an experiment to see if i was on to something, using myself as the guinea pig. i ingested a "recreational" dose of nutmeg four different times, two with nutmeg only and twice with nutmeg and black pepper. heres what happened:

-with nutmeg alone, a strong cannabis-like stoned feeling started about 2 hrs. after ingestion, peaking at about 7-8 hrs. after ingestion. typical "nutmeg high" with a heavy stoned feeling, mild cannabis like CEVs, alcohol-like intoxication/impairment, bloodshot eyes, dry mouth, increased hunger, and sedation. these effects happened both times nutmeg was ingested alone.

-nutmeg with black pepper(contains piperidine and other compounds that can affect drug metabolism), effects came on slightly slower, about 3-3.5 hrs. instead of a pot like high, i felt slightly restless. things around me started to "stand out" more and i noticed the textures and details of things and surfaces more. effects started to increase quicker, and i reached a "peak" at about 6-7 hrs. after ingestion. instead of the stoned feeling from nutmeg alone, i felt as if i was tripping out. significant CEVs and moderate OEVs of LSD-like nature including walls breathing, 3-D like depth perception, patterns apon closed eyes and open eyes if you don't focus, and hearing distortion similar to MDMA as well. mentally i felt peaceful, euphoria, "waves" of thoughts and mental imagery, vivid imagination and daydreams, and unusual thinking patterns. physical side effects included moderate pupil dilation, dry mouth, restlessness, body load, decreased hunger, and alternating warm and cold sensations. these effects happen both times nutmeg was ingested with black pepper.

i think i'm really on to something here, as the effects of adding black pepper were significantly different.

well i tried nutmeg with some black pepper and it made the effects completely different.

Iiiiinteresting! In what way did they differ?

EDIT: o_O

0.o

If only it didn't last for two damn days, I'd try it myself.

Okay you've piqued my curiosity now. Dose? Were these fresh, the nutmeg and the black pepper?

As many details as possible so this can be trialed. And when you say "bodyload" what exactly do you mean? Tachycardia, general malaise, headache, etc?

Okay you've piqued my curiosity now. Dose? Were these fresh, the nutmeg and the black pepper?

As many details as possible so this can be trialed. And when you say "bodyload" what exactly do you mean? Tachycardia, general malaise, headache, etc?

nutmeg was from a jar(not freshly grated), approx. 20g.

black pepper also was also not fresh, approx. 3-4g.

the "body load"(from nutmeg & black pepper) was similar to that experienced on a moderate LSD trip. there was an increse in heart rate(though not "racing" or "pounding"), no headache(body was actually kinda numb), also nystagmus(eye "wiggles") was experienced. i observed vasoconstriction as well.

effects(both physical and mental) were very different than nutmeg alone.

hmm interesting, i really wounder whats going on in this situation is the piperidine acting as an MAOI inhibiting certain enzymatic breakdown like you stated before?? would you get similar effects witht different MAOI's.

hmm interesting, i really wounder whats going on in this situation is the piperidine acting as an MAOI inhibiting certain enzymatic breakdown like you stated before?? would you get similar effects witht different MAOI's.

its not acting as an MAOI, but it does inhibit certain enzymes that break down nutmeg's compounds. black pepper could also have other effects on the metabolism of nutmeg's compounds, although i'm not really sure how.

one thing i can say with certainty is that with black pepper nutmeg gets way different metabolites, as the effects are very different.

What was your method of consumption? Did you capsulize all of this? Seems mighty hard to choke down that much nutmeg and pepper...

would black pepper alone cause an psychoactive effects?? maybe if so there are interaction happening between them?.. it would be really neat to analyze your urine for nutmeg solely and then the combination of black pepper and nutmeg and compare results for the too..

also must factor for placebo, and the combined effects of the two, we all know that nutmeg can cause psychoactive effects, but black pepper alone??? try black pepper only and see what happens

i have tried black pepper alone, and it has no psychoactive effects whatsoever.

and the combo was surely not placebo.

would black pepper alone cause an psychoactive effects?? maybe if so there are interaction happening between them?.. it would be really neat to analyze your urine for nutmeg solely and then the combination of black pepper and nutmeg and compare results for the too..

the interaction would be piperine, piperidine and releated compounds changing the compounds in nutmeg by either directly reacting with them, forming different metabolites as they all go through metabolism, or by changing the metabolism of nutmeg by inhibiting liver enzymes that metabolize them. or possibly a combonation of some or all of the above.

We need some controlled experiments done on this. Specific amounts, how they were ingested, how much food was ingested, supplements, how many substances had been taken in the prior week, etc., in order to make promising progress on this.

I think it is a rather interesting venue to explore but I'm not haphazardly just going to eat a bunch of nutmeg and pepper to find out.

does anybody think it's possible that a psychedelic/substituted amphetamine was formed as a metabolite?

if you read my effects results from the nutmeg + black pepper, there was effects consistant with those(dilated pupils, vasoconstriction, visuals, psychedelia, etc.).

I think its a definite possibility, maybe even a probability, but I'm trying to get all the information from you exactly how you did it so that I can conduct my own testing on it and you're giving general information.

Quite frankly, I don't think most people here care much about the subtle differences between the subjective effects of toxic doses of household spices.