• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Carefully Calculated Suicide - A Philosophical Discussion

People who claim they don't fear death are usually liars, in an apathetic state/dissociated from their emotions, or they haven't had a near death experience. They have never experienced the adrenaline rush, chaos, and commotion that usually surrounds death, especially overdose situations.

I don't agree that all those who commit suicide are hedonistic cowards. Some people actually want to live but they can't find a way out of their circumstances. I'm thinking now of all the people who commit suicide when they lose all their investments. They'd rather die than live a life of dire poverty. They are trying to avoid suffering. What about people who have long-term chronic illness? I'm one of those people. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to kill myself and came very close. Of course, everyone makes an exception to the cowardice rule when it's someone who nobly ends their life during terminal cancer or something more socially acceptable. How about this? Life generally sucks for most living things. It's a constant uphill battle. Suffering is never ending. Even those with wealth and comfort suffer. All you can do is fortify yourself as best you can against suffering, but it's often never enough. Even the spiritual angle is mostly not enough.

As for the OP's question... is it better to have an orgasmic life and then extinguish in a blaze of glory? Some would say yes. Maybe if you think the point of life is to feel as much pleasure as possible, then OD'ing on the most pleasurable drug would maybe be to your benefit. But I don't think the point of life is to chase pleasures OR pain. There's actually no point at all. You sound like you're more in the hedonist camp which is about maximizing pleasure... but there is some logical fallacy in your philosophical argument because death is not a pleasurable experience -- it's the absence of experience. So you're not really maximizing pleasure.

You maximize pleasure with edging. The edge of an orgasm, without orgasming. The edge of obliterating your consciousness, without actually destroying it for real. After all, pleasure and suffering share an axis. If you chase pleasure enough you will begin to suffer, mostly from diminishing returns. That's why true maximal pleasure would lead to death, because it would overwhelm your body's ability to live. But death is anhedonic so it's kind of pointless to go there if the point is pleasure.

We should have the right to be anestesiate with schizophrenia, this shit's too agressive to cope with, either i'm going bak to normal and i don't want to, either i'm going back to the hospital and i don't want to, free-painless-death on the other hand... :sneaky:

Hello all.

I just discovered this community, and with seemingly perfect timing. I'm a long experienced drug user. the short story is I've tried a bit of everything and have been clean from heroin for over 8 years. I drink alcohol now, use coke sometimes, mushrooms, LSD, and very recently tried meth for the first time. Meth is the reason for this post.

I had been on a cocaine kick for about month, using 2-4 times per week. Having been an experienced IV heroin user, I decided to try shooting coke. It was pretty cool, but easy to overamp quickly. After snorting meth for a few times, I gave shooting it a try. Idk if this was a big mistake or exactly what I've been looking for my whole life.

It's hard to explain every detail of my thoughts on this now, but maybe some of you can relate. I'm thinking hard about the philosophical/ethical nature of deciding now, consciously, to plan a very calculated binge that ends with the controlled taking of my own life. Not out of pain, discomfort, or desperation. Simply a decision to have a life experience better than the overwhelming majority of creatures in the history of existence, albeit a shorter one. I quit fearing death a long time ago and after I got clean from heroin I got into bodybuilding, built a ton of muscle, and stared a career in software development. There's lots more stuff I've achieved, but you get the idea.

I've tasted the slow burn pleasures life has to offer, and I have to say they don't seem worth it to me simply to live "longer". A short, intense, orgasmic life followed by a sweet painless death seems like the ideal way for an organism to exist. I feel a combination of things when I think about this: relief, guilt, fear of what my family and friends will think. Nobody will understand. Nobody. They won't get that I was happy.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.
I'm having very similar thoughts in the last couple of months especially. Not that I never thought about suicide before. I'm just getting more close to the point where the only thing stopping me from ending this life is that fact that it will hurt my parents and other close family. Which leads me to thinking of ways to die without it being suicide, some unfortunate accident or just an OD. But that's more because I don't find any pleasure in life anymore without being under the influence, so it seems to be a bit different than your situation..

People who claim they don't fear death are usually liars, in an apathetic state/dissociated from their emotions, or they haven't had a near death experience. They have never experienced the adrenaline rush, chaos, and commotion that usually surrounds death, especially overdose situations.

While this may be statistically true, there are many who sincerely don't fear death. I've had several ear death experiences and each one further clarified to me my existential truth, which has led me to accept more and more the impermanence of everything. Once a person fully accepts the universal law of impermanence, all that's left is to enjoy the experience of life while his or her primitive senses still allow. Nothing else makes sense to me, as I'm not a religious person.

I don't agree that all those who commit suicide are hedonistic cowards. Some people actually want to live but they can't find a way out of their circumstances. I'm thinking now of all the people who commit suicide when they lose all their investments. They'd rather die than live a life of dire poverty. They are trying to avoid suffering. What about people who have long-term chronic illness? I'm one of those people. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to kill myself and came very close. Of course, everyone makes an exception to the cowardice rule when it's someone who nobly ends their life during terminal cancer or something more socially acceptable. How about this? Life generally sucks for most living things. It's a constant uphill battle. Suffering is never ending. Even those with wealth and comfort suffer. All you can do is fortify yourself as best you can against suffering, but it's often never enough. Even the spiritual angle is mostly not enough.

The type of suicide I'm referring to isn't suicide as a means of escaping acute physical or emotional pain. I'm talking about controlling where, when, and how my existence (as I know it) will end. We all must die and some people don't want to leave it up to chance, which often means wasting away in a bed for some undetermined number of years while our quality of life slowly wanes. It might makes sense to some to grow old to the point where they feel satisfied with their life experience. One might suspend the cultural conditioning that suicide is "automatically bad" and even hold an End of Life party where loved ones celebrate one's exiting of this life. If you can imagine such a radically deviant perspective, you might picture a kind of birthday party (or deathday party). It seems to me that the ones that fear death the most project it onto others at the mere mention of the word suicide. We are so afraid of our own fate that we instantly reject the notion that someone of sound mind and body may very well choose it. We simply can't fathom it.

As for the OP's question... is it better to have an orgasmic life and then extinguish in a blaze of glory? Some would say yes. Maybe if you think the point of life is to feel as much pleasure as possible, then OD'ing on the most pleasurable drug would maybe be to your benefit. But I don't think the point of life is to chase pleasures OR pain. There's actually no point at all. You sound like you're more in the hedonist camp which is about maximizing pleasure... but there is some logical fallacy in your philosophical argument because death is not a pleasurable experience -- it's the absence of experience. So you're not really maximizing pleasure.

You misunderstand. Death is not an attempt at pleasure. It's the punctuation of it. It's the exclamation point at the end of a brief, but wildly ecstatic, sentence. The pleasure comes first while the human body is able to feel it. Then the inevitable death comes in a controlled and deliberate fashion. In my own philosophical opinion, one should not cling the the idea that maximizing longevity yields the best possible life. Which brings me to my next point of clarification: the "point of life" is whatever we determine it is. Who am I to say that what you value in life is right or wrong? However, I'd argue that the most primitive parts of our brains are biologically wired to seek pleasure and reject pain. Still, we have the ability to transcend that wiring.

***I also find the use of the term "hedonistic" unnecessary. I can't even imagine a situation not motivated by an ultimately pleasurable outcome. I don't see how it's humanly possible. Feel free to disagree with this. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

You maximize pleasure with edging. The edge of an orgasm, without orgasming. The edge of obliterating your consciousness, without actually destroying it for real. After all, pleasure and suffering share an axis. If you chase pleasure enough you will begin to suffer, mostly from diminishing returns. That's why true maximal pleasure would lead to death, because it would overwhelm your body's ability to live. But death is anhedonic so it's kind of pointless to go there if the point is pleasure.

This is a fascinating concept, and one that I feel I agree with more than anything else posted in this thread. If I were to ruminate on this whole discussion for some time, I'd likely land on this in the end. It just seems the most logical way to go about a life aimed at happiness. I'm not sure how maximal pleasure would lead to death, though. I've never heard of this ever happening as a result of pleasure alone...maybe a byproduct of pleasure seeking behavior such as a heart attack, but not pleasure. You're absolutely correct about diminishing returns. This is the primary reason I'm personally not likely to ever seriously consider the "planned suicide" I describe.

Anyway, thank you (and everyone) for the stimulating discussion. This is one of the endless pleasures I seek in my personal life :)

I dream for a day when we as a society aren't triggered by the mention of the word "suicide", where we can understand the distinction between a celebrated exit and a desperate means of escape. I'm reminded of the quote by Schopenhauer, "They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice...that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title to than his own life and person."

Also, a personal update for those who are interested:

I'm over a week off drugs of any kind. I've decided that...um...meth is bad, mmmkay.

Whether or not I'll stay off all drugs down the road has yet to be seen, but the hard stuff consistently lets me down. This leaves me in an interesting position regarding my original post. The brightest burning, briefest and most intense pleasures (i.e. hard drugs) are far too short lived for me to use as a means to enjoy life. While I'm by no means new to the consistent use of hard drugs, these days I'm much wiser than in my heroin addicted youth. Likewise, this past couple of weeks has been its own learning experience due in part to my drug experimentation but also to this very interesting discussion.

Cheers, all you lovely people <3

You misunderstand. Death is not an attempt at pleasure. It's the punctuation of it. It's the exclamation point at the end of a brief, but wildly ecstatic, sentence.
What a beautiful statement and I fully agree. I say that all the time. Swami Vivekananda said life really is only 5 minutes long. Just uttering the word life implies there is a death. Can't have one without the other. To me that is Mother Nature winking at us with humor.

What a great topic. I have to digest more. Briefly I think if you are you young and have many years ahead of you stay with the corriculum or may need to take the class again. Being older and been through most of life well it seems less offending. LIke I have a lot of respect for Robin Williams.

I have more to say but I want to finish reading everyon'e's posts first and I just saw this.

I've tasted the slow burn pleasures life has to offer, and I have to say they don't seem worth it to me simply to live "longer". A short, intense, orgasmic life followed by a sweet painless death seems like the ideal way for an organism to exist. I feel a combination of things when I think about this: relief, guilt, fear of what my family and friends will think. Nobody will understand. Nobody. They won't get that I was happy.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

I think I know what you mean. I would love to be able to choose when I die, at the moment I want to be around for as long as I possibly can. I even think it will be possible soon to extend our lives way beyond our average age now and I would like to give that a go.
BUT when I was in my late 20's and early 30's I would have definitely chosen an exit then as I was so messed up.

We should have the right to be anestesiate with schizophrenia, this shit's too agressive to cope with, either i'm going bak to normal and i don't want to, either i'm going back to the hospital and i don't want to, free-painless-death on the other hand... :sneaky:
Feel free to send me a PM anytime if your struggling. From a fellow 'schizophrenic'' I've been through it all.

Thanks but i'm trying NOT to get into "intimate" relationships, i prefere keeping a façade image, the picture of the perfet asshole, just not to get my closes ones sad when i'll SABOTAGE the whole world whith my whole death! 🤯

Ok i might be megalomaniac, but i'm also empathic, thanks for your "life support" (y)...<3

Thanks but i'm trying NOT to get into "intimate" relationships, i prefere keeping a façade image, the picture of the perfet asshole, just not to get my closes ones sad when i'll SABOTAGE the whole world whith my whole death! 🤯

Ok i might be megalomaniac, but i'm also empathic, thanks for your "life support" (y)...<3
Hey I'm just looking for people who I can relate to that's all.

Hey I'm just looking for people who I can relate to that's all.
TAK! Much appreciated. - Joseph Ducreux | Make a Meme

that-one-follower-you-dontknow-personally-but-yall-cool-as-24687321.png

The thing pointless you know hahahaaha!!!! :ROFLMAO: (but @ghostandthedarknes got it)

Last edited:
How old are you?
Pretty young I'd guess by your need be a smart arse.
Tell me about the voices you talk to what do they say? Are you 'schizophrenic' or do you just think it's cool label to have just like you little Gucci dog you carry around in your handbag.
It's about love mate it's about helping each other out to feel the benevolence in the infinite universe we live in

How old are you?
I'm 2021y man, that's why... You don't know how it is to live in hidden sight for that long! 😭

Pretty young I'd guess by your need be a smart arse.
Tell me about the voices you talk to what do they say? Are you 'schizophrenic' or do you just think it's cool label to have just like you little Gucci dog you carry around in your handbag.
It's about love mate it's about helping each other out to feel the benevolence in the infinite universe we live in
Wtf? What voices i talk to? What are you talking about? Nan man i don't think that's cool because i think it's incurable and i have to deal with that two (we all are in some sort of way), knowing that it will never stop and only getting worse. You think this is about love man, well than maybe it is, but it's also about hate, fear, and good shit too, like joy, also bad like sadness, it's about life, otherwise their's nothing. And it's cool to be benevolent, i am two, at least i'm trying to, BUT i wouldn't be so much of a schizo/psycho/bipolar (call the Disease howerver you want) if i weren't also into deep sadism sometimes... :devilish:

You said a few posts back that schizophrenic people should be allowed to take they're own lives as that shit is incurable. Well I've got news for you Mr 20201 EVERY THING IS CURABLE.
People just need to talk about it more. I am fascinated to know what other peoples voices have to say.
And that is why I reached out to you in the first place because I thought you were schizophrenic too. Grow up. Actually you remind me of how I used to be, I bet your in your early twenties .

Feel free to send me a PM anytime if your struggling. From a fellow 'schizophrenic'' I've been through it all.

I'm 2021y man, that's why... You don't know how it is to live in hidden sight for that long! 😭

Wtf? What voices i talk to? What are you talking about? Nan man i don't think that's cool because i think it's incurable and i have to deal with that two (we all are in some sort of way), knowing that it will never stop and only getting worse. You think this is about love man, well than maybe it is, but it's also about hate, fear, and good shit too, like joy, also bad like sadness, it's about life, otherwise their's nothing. And it's cool to be benevolent, i am two, at least i'm trying to, BUT i wouldn't be so much of a schizo/psycho/bipolar (call the Disease howerver you want) if i weren't also into deep sadism sometimes... :devilish:
I love you.

You said a few posts back that schizophrenic people should be allowed to take they're own lives as that shit is incurable. Well I've got news for you Mr 20201 EVERY THING IS CURABLE.
People just need to talk about it more. I am fascinated to know what other peoples voices have to say.
And that is why I reached out to you in the first place because I thought you were schizophrenic too. Grow up. Actually you remind me of how I used to be, I bet your in your early twenties .
That's benevolence!
I love you.
I HATE YOU! And i hate your cake! :mad: