• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Cant get off last bit of Klonopin, please help.

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
In big need of help here.

It has taken me years to get from 1mg of Klonopin to almost the end of my taper.......But the end of my taper is causing panic attacks, terrible muscle cramps, anxiety and agoraphobia.

I was put on Klonopin about 8 years ago for anxiety/agoraphobia. It worked wonders to start with but then started to make me even more anxious unless I increased the dose.

I do my dose via digital jewellery scales. A 0.5mg Klon tab weighs 0.0200g, so 0.0100g = 0.25mg and 0.0050g = 0.0050g. My current dose is 0.0007g so a tiny amount. My anxiety, agoraphobia and muscle pains are terrible. Is there anything I can take to ease these withdrawals?

I am also on Valium and Celexa. Been on these 2 for 18 years, take 10mg Valium as soon as I wake up and 40mg Celexa around lunchtime.

Any help would be great as I am stuck indoors not able to even open my front door due to this anxiety.

What’s the point of tapering down to .0007 mgs if you’re taking Valium along with it? Might as well just take Valium and taper that alone that’s what I’m doing

Seems like you're in a sticky situation. I don't know if this is good advice but I'd jump from the Clonazpam, increase the valium dose slightly then do a looong valium taper.

Read the ashton manual for information on tapering, this may also help you. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

I'm assuming you're prescribed this meds by a doctor. Speak to them about it?

It's a tough situation you're in. Have you tried biofeedback? It allowed me to live a normal life again.

Thanks greatly for the replies!

Now this is the really strange part......I am scared about replacing my Clonazepam evening dose with Diazepam, I really dont know why, maybe because its change? Its so strange, I am scared stupid of these medications. I dont want to make my anxiety even worse.

Thanks greatly for the replies!

Now this is the really strange part......I am scared about replacing my Clonazepam evening dose with Diazepam, I really dont know why, maybe because its change? Its so strange, I am scared stupid of these medications. I dont want to make my anxiety even worse.

Have you spoken to your doctor?

I understand where you're from as clonazpam and diazepam have a very different feeling (for me anyway).

Maybe just try the change for a couple of weeks.

Benzo withdrawal is so complicated and effects people ways.

Read my first post in this thread and give that a go.

You're a long term user so read the ashton manual I linked, it has a lot of good information.

It's a mental game you are playing so may as well go along with it. You are scared to get off a ridiculously small amount of klonopin. So just keep taking it and reduce the valium since that doesn't cause you as much angst.

I'm in the same boat as you I have a kpin rx which I take .375 or 3/4 of a .5 mg tablet as well as 5 mg of valium in the early afternoon. Started the valium for chronic leg and back pain 2 years ago after a car wreck. And was recently placed on Klonopin for PTSD after an even worse car wreck that did no physical damage but emotionally destroyed me. Ironic huh? I too use a Jewelers scale to slowly reduce the Klonopin (trying to get down to.25) and it works well as a tapering mechanism. I'd advise breaking your valium into 2 doses one at night and one in the morning also try taking that tiny bit of Klonopin every other day. Remind yourself constantly that both drugs have a long half life to try and keep your psyche together. Benzos just flat out F' ing suck to detox from but your almost there. Tapering from 10 mg a day of valium will be a slow process but you'll only be tackling one drug. I would even ask your doc for 4 2.5 mg valium pills and take those spaced evenly t
Throughout the day. I bet that most of the w/d are psychological at that tiny bit of Klonopin, remind yourself constantly that detoxing is as much a psychological battle as well as a physical one. Good luck I know it ain't easy.

In a situation like this I would encourage switching to a benzo that has active metabolites which can last in your system for upwards of 30 days. Clonazepam has a 24 hour halflife while diazepam or Librium has active metabolites with half lives of 200 hours or more.

OP, what is your experience with Gabapentinoids? This class of drugs ranges from Gabapentin (Neurontin) to Pregabalin (Lyrica) to Phenibut (OTC Supplement). They do not exert their effects in the same way as Benzodiazepines or Alcohol, which actually works in your favor. Using drugs from outside the class that you are dependent upon should be your strategy. Using Benzodiazepins to combat your dependence is likely to end up with repeated cycles of withdrawal. If you are not aware of the Kindling Effect, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the phenomenon. In a nutshell, each repeated cycle of dependence/withdrawal leads to a comparatively more intense withdrawal syndrome and a shorter time to acquire the same severity of dependence.

Maybe it took you a couple of years to become fully dependent upon Benzodiazepines. Since you've been dependent, you will now be able to acquire a habit much more quickly. So, in using Benzodiazepines during your withdrawal, you could be disproportionately exacerbating your situation. As I've said, it's my opinion that you should be using other medications to help mitigate your withdrawal. I can tell you that Gabapentinoids work wonders for a large portion of users. Not only can these drugs provide relief, they will more or less allow the course of your withdrawal to proceed.

So, OP, could you let me know what your experience is with other drugs? Gabapentinoids, Clonidine (Catapres), Cannabis? Anything else that might help? Do you have a prescriber that is willing to work with you in this manner?

Thanks greatly for all the helpful replies.

Keif' ....... I have not tried many other drugs. I have tried l-theanine 200mg capsules, seem to help a tiny bit. I tried Gabapentin at 100mg a day for a week, made me feel very tired. I tried CBD oil, no great effect, if anything it made me feel a bit strange. So Gabapentin, CBD and l-theanine are the only meds I have tried. I dont have a past of using drugs before benzos, not even drinking alcohol, although used to have a few beers about 10 years ago whilst on benzos. Made me feel very relaxed but it could make me aggressive. Not aware of the kindling effect so going to Google it now. I have heard of Phenibut in the past, is it addictive?